Rear shock worth changing on runner?

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Mark77, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Hi guys,
    Just replaced the original usd forks on my 180 runner with vx type. The bike is standard and I sometimes ride 2 up with the girlfriend on the back. It has done about 30000km. Just wondering if I should replace the rear shock. Do aftermarket ones offer much handling/comfort improvement over the standard one?

If so any recommendations on a good brand from someone who is happy with theirs?

2. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Most aftermarket ones would definitely be an improvement on an original with 30k on it :p

There aren't many to choose from though tbh. YSS ones are deffo the best for the (low) price. Doppler ones look a bit nicer but cost slightly more and are gas filled I think which some people prefer. The only other ones which are good are the Malossi or bitubo ones which are expensive..

Any one that's adjustable will definitely be a improvement over stock one as a rule

Mark77 likes this.
  3. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Thanks. Based on your advice I have been having a look at the yss ones. They have a pro-x model which is quite cheap and then an e-series which looks quite a bit more advanced but it a fair bit more expensive. Onlu thing that sounds like a pain is that on the scootercenter website it says you have to shorten the rear bush to fit them. Is this issue limited to yss ones? I think it is because the 50cc rear suspension bush is smaller that the 180 one so they would have to make a shock specifically for the wider bush to fit a 180 without modification.

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

The mount on a 125 and 180 is slightly wider yeah. Some shocks are wider to make up for it but not all of them.. I had a cheaper yss one on my 125 and it fitted fine for some reason but you may have to do a bit of filing or something. Scootercenter do the bgm ones which fit and are around the same price/quality if in doubt

5. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Hey guys. Just an update to this. I ended up buying the fancy BGM one from scootercenter. I confirmed with them prior to buying it that it would fit on the 180 without modification. They were wrong. The rear bush required about 3mm taken off it to fit. See photos below showing width compared to standard shock.

P9110547sm.jpg P9110548sm.jpg

There is a bigger problem than this though. The BGM shock has a much longer mounting stem at the top than the standard shock. This means that it cannot be fitted using the standard rubber bushes - see photos below.

P9110550sm.jpg

P9110552sm.jpg

As you can see above, when the washer is placed on the top it will leave over 1cm of movement against the frame. The only thing that I can see would avoid this from happening is if there was a much thicker rubber bush underneath to raise the frame up, but the BGM shock didn't come with any mounting hardware at all - only the shock.

Can anyone give me advice on how I should mount this? It is certainly not a simple replacement for the standard one.