Rear drum brake shoes too big!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by FV43576, May 4, 2020.

1. FV43576

FV43576 Member

My is Suzuki CS50 1982, I purchase the front and the rear drums brake shoes from eBay the picture it looks same as the front and the rear.

Today it arrived, I have notice that the front shoes have a trade maker with codes on it but the rear it doesn't have any code or anything with printed on it.

I went to fit it the front first with no problem is easy installed.

But.....
    when I did the rear, the drum plate cover won't fit it in, I am struggle trying to push it in without damage the surface but it pops and went in but the wheel won't go freely it is like a brake that is on all the times.

So I took it off look what is wrong. I could not see any thing wrong but I measure it with my old metal body frame of shoes is same as the new. So I took it off the front and I measure the diameter of drum plate is same size as the rear and I measure it the thickness of shoes surface found it to be 2mm thicker than the front!

I was wonder if this is only one type of drums brake shoes on sale eBay? or it must have lots of different maker drums shoes? I felt this one the rear is China rubbish copy made.

Is the drum plate on other scooter that are hard to fit in with new shoes????

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    It's pot luck buying bits for some 'peds on eBay,alot of sellers sell 'generic' parts to fit ala 1 size fits all with some unwilling to grab a refund cause of the hassle.;).
    Luckily you don't own a C90....:).

FV43576 likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Look for major sellers that cater for specific brands,notably asking for info along the lines of...make/model/part no./specific designating no.s,etc.;).

FV43576 likes this.
  4. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

But for so long till you get youself a new set. Cant you just try to grind the pads down. With some coarse files or anything

FV43576 likes this.
  5. FV43576

FV43576 Member

I had something like that on my Fiat Punto rear drum brake when I had a difficult to fit in it had a adjustment, but this scooter hasn't got one! I felt that files mind be not be a good idea?

6. FV43576

FV43576 Member

Bought a bit more expensive it fit in easy. Next time I am avoid buy cheaper from eBay!

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I've had this problem a few times.
    I run a motorcycle shop. Sometimes the supplier screws up, the part number is right, but the product is wrong. Sometimes you order a Kickstarter or whatever and get an exhaust or something....

FV43576 likes this.