Question about selling ET4

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by DynamiteDan, Feb 20, 2017.

1. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Hi all,

Well I just passed my driving test and I sadly have to consider selling my ET4 to raise some funds for a car.

The thing is I have no idea what it's worth. I've had a look around and it varies so much that it's had to tell. I'll give as much info as I can.

My Scooter is a Vespa ET4 125cc 2002. I paid about £750 14 months ago but it has a few issues now. It rides fine but it cuts out when I come to a stop at traffic lights sometimes. Maybe just needs idle turning up but not sure. Also It was quite quiet when I bought it but it's quite loud now. More like a 2 stroke lol Maybe an exhaust issue?

The horn just stopped working and the electrics can be a little bit temperamental sometimes. The paint work is a bit tatty in places and the plastic panel that the number plate is attached to is cracked and also the panel that the foot mats sit on has a chunk missing. Also the seat has no hinge but the seat is about secure enough without it.

Yesterday I skidded on oil on a white line near a parking space and the front wheel gave way and I dropped it and damaged the paint on the side panel a little bit. I managed to half catch it and minimise the damage but a few chips of paint came out. Typical as I've never done anything like that before.

It sounds pretty bad but is still a decent scooter. It just needs some TLC.

I was hoping to get £300 for it but I just wanted to see what other people would do? Cheers.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Why not spend a bit of money sorting it out and keep it, far cheaper than running a car !

torpedo01 likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Get a cheap car and keep the bike?
    Your exhaust is probably rusted a hole, typical piaggio problem, they are made of rust im sure :p

torpedo01 and DynamiteDan like this.
  4. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    lol yeah the exhaust is definitely suspect (and rusty). I would be happy to keep the scooter for sure. I'd take 2 wheels over 4 any day. It's just I've got a young family so It's quite a big deal having a car.

Money is the only problem. Insurance is gonna sting plus buying a car. So I don't know if I would have the money to put in.

I could probably just buy a new exhaust and not worry too much about the cosmetic side yet but the headlights are really temperamental flickering on and off and fullbeam is not working. Could be loose wires or rusty connectors or something but I don't want to spend loads to have someone try and find what it is. It's a tough choice.

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i recently became a dad too, but i still own what 8 bikes? 9? hmmm...

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Bikes over kids anyday:D
    A bikes never gonna cost as much as a kid does in its lifetime;)

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Try owning an airhead bmw...

Stevep likes this.
  8. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    So you and my brother havent learnt about owning bmws then ;)

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    these really are worth there condition, and engine tbh, is it leader or pre leader engine? any chance of a few pics? paint good? rust anywhere?

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    where abouts are you also? might be something im interested in, soft spot for et's ... and yes i have a 3 month old baby, 12 year old and a serious bike problem :D

scubabiker and torpedo01 like this.
  11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

no such thing as a serious bike problem, its just a "hobby" :p

12. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Yeah I love this scooter but I will probably have to sell it. I live near Portsmouth. So might be too far for you? I'm 99% sure it has a leader engine. Paint was ok until I came off last week. If you wanted it looking mint then it would maybe need a respray or maybe just a few panels. The seat has no hinge as it corroded shortly after I bought it. The headlight flickers occasionally. Probably a loose wire.
    The panel that holds the number plate is cracked but could probably be glued/repaired and a chunk missing from the footwell panel. It runs great, it just stalls when i stop sometimes. Maybe needs a new exhaust. It has a new yuasa battery.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Leader motor think they call its the leader 2 .

the paint aint bad nothing a rubdown in that area and a blow over and fade wont cure, then a polish up on the whole scoot to get it shiney as hell again . all scoots take a drop at some time so foot panels and number plate holders tend to get dinged plenty of times.

You may even find insurance aint that much extra if you add a bike to the car insurance just keep you as named rider only. if you have been riding a couple years thats 2yr no claims bonus thats going to land onto your car insurance so could help to negate the bike being added and kept insured , also means the other half has the motor and you have the scoot and if need be you can also drive the motor if it comes down to that ;).

its worth doing a comparison site check see what sorta quotes come up with the scoot added to the car insurance may find your quoted happy

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I had an air cooled early leader engine in my vx, the difference is the head, the early ac ones are 2 valve the later LC ones are 3/4 (ive forgotten now, its been years) plus the inlet manifold is much bigger on the LC motors...

15. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Cheers mate, That's a good point. I didn't even realise i could do that with the insurance. I have already bought a car though on Monday and got insurance so I'm not sure if I can still do something? I think I have 3 years no claims for my scoot now.
    I don't know whether it's worth ringing my insurance company and asking.
    I'll have to look into the paint job. It kind isn't as bad as it looks in that pic to be honest.

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

What car did you get?

17. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    I think mine was just near the start of the leader years but can't be 100% because I don't know a lot.

Nothing majorly special but I bought a 2005 Renault Clio 1.2 16v, 13 months mot, 3 owners, 85k miles, spotless inside and out, £600. My insurance was £1000 so didn't have a lot left lol

Only problem is that when I lock the doors the driver passenger side can still be opened from the outside.

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmm that is strange, possibly sonething is unplugged?
    My road car was free but i had to do a shit load of work on it. Its nice to drive when its sub zero outside...

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Either the central locking actuator is shot or the wire is broken where it passes through the door pillar, usual problems.

20. DynamiteDan

DynamiteDan Member

Rides:
    2000 Vespa ET4 125cc
    Did you do the work yourself? Yeah I like having the option now when it's cold.

Ok cool, Will this be pretty obvious to tell when I have a look inside?

I'm gonna try and take the door panel off tomorrow and have a look. I read on another forum that some guy disabled the back door from being opened from the outside.

Someone else said to test the solenoid with a meter. I need to get a haynes manual I think.