Pulling away and speed problem!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Cockers, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Cockers

Cockers I hate speedfights

Hi!

I had some problems pulling away on my scooter it was really slow up to 20 then not to bad there after, It wasn't revving high more a slow flat engine tone.

I bought a drive belt and replaced it, checked rollers they were fine!

So I put the thing back together and went to try it, It revs really really high then drops and revs again up to 30 and won't go faster!

I have also been running with no choke and used easy start a couple times to start it,

I put the choke in it started up when I put the choke on the scooter dies??

It also only does 30mph max when I usually get 50-55

I've noticed a slight blow on the exhaust at manifold could this be part of the problem

cheers

2. creamsodauk

creamsodauk Ped Ped!!

Rides:
    Runner 125 SP
    why would you drive the engine with the choke on? this should only be used to start a cold engine and then turned off after a few secnds

a leak from the exhaust can casue performance issues so yes sort that

i cant help on the top end, unless you have changed somthing over to cause the issue then somthing has gone wrong

for pull away speed maybe the clutch springs have started to sag with age and are dragging casuing a slow pull off

3. Cockers

I know you don't drive with the choke on, It was whilst the bike was warming up! what I mean is whilst the bike is running if you put the choke on it dies/

I'll patch the leak up.

Scooter is completly standard had cyl head off to drill a snapped exhaust bolt and put the cyl head back on with new gaskets and it's ran fine for weeks after that!

just looking for a second opinion but it all leads me to believe its clutch problem, probably not had one since new!

4. Cockers

Just going to get the train to college will order a clutch next week! new standard clutch should come with springs right? cheers

5. Alex Barnes

Alex Barnes Active Member

best idea = sell it :)

6. Cockers

I was thinking that but the state of the body and it needing a clutch it will be major factor to knock me down on price! I have no problem doing a clutch as I do mechanics anyway!

Weighing up my options as I'm getting a car in september I hope so not sure :(

7. Alex Barnes

think i sold mine at right time lol everyday it would have something else wrong with it in end got sick of it n sold it but how weird is this on the day of it being sold none of the faults appeared n so far they havn't returned oh well bikes gones now :)

8. Cockers

haha thinking of cutting my losses see If i can get 350 for it needing a clutch! just been tinkering got it running decent and starting off the button with the choke fitted haha, just pulls away shit slow but is revving normal so now not sure if the belt just needs running in or not!

9. Alex Barnes

might be an air leak somewhere but upto u i got 450 for my speedfight 100 n it had a sort of serious leak coming from the 2 stroke oil filter (the pipes where leaking ) wiped it off left it stood for a week washed it and cleaned all sludge off it n sold it

10. Cockers

actually thats a possibility! I felt air coming from where the spark plug is near the plastic cover! will inestigate tomorrow!

11. Alex Barnes

thats what it sounds like if its revving normal but pulling away slow its got to be either a clutch or an air leak nothing else it can be otherwise your engine would be doing some funky shit

12. Cockers

haha what could the air leak be? cyl head not down properly or something? could this just happen out of the blue?

13. Alex Barnes

a worn gasket thats not sealing propperly or it could be from when u had to drill a piece of metal from your cylinder head if its got a gap in between that could cause it

14. Cockers

will have a look, I scraped all the old gasket away few weeks ago, replaced with newgasket! I know there is a slight blow in exhaust will sort that, It will have to be tomorrow when I sort it cheers alex!

15. Alex Barnes

no probs man speedfights r just a mystery 1 day there fine nxt day there riddled with problems then fine again the french lol what do they know about engineering

16. Cockers

I'm sick of it haha! Hope this problem is just a simple air leak then its getting flogged!

17. Alex Barnes

sounds like a plan i remember when mine had a air leak n it took me ages n ages to find the problem n it was the seal on the carb to the inlet manifold n half of time i reved it , it was fine n after a few revs it would start to bog and try cut out got kinda annyoing when i couldnt get too far up hills before it cut out and decided to not start thought of all posibilities like gaskets and rubber seals but saw the seal was not on propperly on closer inspection 1 half of the rubber had erroded away and had a hole in 1 side lol put a new piece on it and was fine after that

18. Cockers

Well had it out today, after sorting exhaust blow out, I'm confident it is the clutch, engine runs and idles well starts well but pulling away up to about 20-30 the engine revs high then flat then high and will top out at 40 to me it seems the clutch is slipping or the springs are gone so I'll be off the road for a few until I've saved!

19. antman1992

antman1992 Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    this happens to mine once the belt has warn down abit i just take the variator off give it all a clean get all the belt dust off then put a new belt on and it should be good as new for you as it works for me

20. Cockers

It's had a new belt on but its the fact it revs very highly but hardly moves leads me to believe the clutch is slipping/going! cheers