project zip

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by rems, Nov 16, 2011.

1. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

right i have finally got my hands on a project moped at a absolute bargain price of £35 :cheers: :yahoo:

has a few problems as follows (and before you say no its not stolen already done a check haha)

no keys
    barrels are fucked
    seats fucked
    front panel is fucked
    hasnt been heard started for a few weeks (got it running today)
    stand is fucked
    oh and no documents as of yet
    front light lenses broken
    spoiler light broken
    no front brake
    speedo cable broken
    no tax
    no mot

to be honest its not as bad as i thought lol

heres the pics of her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plans are

visual

handle bar conversion
    l.e.d spoiler light
    complete headlight conversion
    respray in a different colour
    checkered floor plate
    no front mud guard
    cut down rear mud guard
    number plate relocated to side of crank case
    new seat

thats about what i can come up with so far

tuning

right this is where im going to need help as not sure what is the best set up for a zip

i will be going for stage 6 pro replica chrome exhaust but not sure what 70cc kit to use, air filter, rollers, jet size ect

so if somebody could give me an idea of the set up to go for would be a great help :)

2. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    My setup is good. Have a look bellow if you can see it :) Without porting it's good for 9.18bhp that was with a TT.

3. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

ah cheers dude

i think i understand that lol

what jet size did you use for the air filter?

and did you change your reeds atal?

4. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

right i have come up with a list of tunning parts and its as follows

stage6 crank
    polini 70 sport kit
    stage6 intake/inlet manifold kit
    17.5mm carb but may go to 21mm carb
    stage6 pro replica exhaust
    malossi fly clutch
    polini high speed variator kit
    stage6 drive belt
    malossi covered air filter

not sure what jets would be best to use :confused:

let me know if anything in that set up wouldnt be any good

5. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    That's pretty much the same setup as me. Exsept the exhaust. And air filter. and i'm using a 118 jet on a 17.5mm

6. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

ah cool how well does yours go?

i have been stripping the engine down today at work to get it ready for a clean up and rebuild once i start getting parts but have come across a problem, cant seem to get the clutch off :confused: i have removed the nut but it doesnt seem to want to budge, you have any ideas?

7. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    What nut you onabout ? And my bike tops 58 without gear up.

8. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

i managed to get the clutch off in the end i was having a stupid moment lol

ah that will be enough power for me for the time being as the majority of roads in devon are either hills or country lanes lol

heres some pics of the progress so far

as the front panel was fucked i thought i would use it as a template to see if i would work out away that i could fit a set of headlights with a beam pattern as i will be doing a handle bar conversion

the headlights i found kicking around at work were these

[​IMG]

i then cut the indicator backing from the front lights

[​IMG]

i measured the size of the light lense and cut the hole size in the front panel

[​IMG]

however this didnt work due to the shape of the front panel and also didnt take into consideration that the headlights have to point a certain way for the beam pattern so that idea kind of went out the window but i have a new idea when it comes to it as i will be using a zip sp front panel :)

removed the engine from the bike and stripped it down ready for when i have the money to get tuning parts :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

have put them in a safe place so that the kids we teach mechanics to dont touch it

[​IMG]

once all the panels were removed i then got to see what condition the frame is in and tbh its not as bad as what i tought it might have been considering its been left outside so there is just surface rust

[​IMG]

have painted the rusty areas with black hammerite to help prevent rust

i was still bored at work so made a start on the wheels :)

polished up the lip

[​IMG]

took some work as they were in a bit of shit condition

and sprayed the centres black

[​IMG]

next is to cut down the rear mud guard as i will be mounting the number plate on the side of the crank casing :)

[​IMG]

the line is where i will be cutting it to

and thats as far as i have got so far as i havent been able to clean the engine up due to ot being able to remove the stator but i have ordered the puller tool then it will be a case of removing the crank cleaning all the casing up and rebuilding it bit by bit with the performance parts once i have money to buy them :)

all comments welcome

9. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

cracked on with abit of smoothing today

cut along the mud guard line and smoothed in the rear reflector

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then started to smooth the rear plastics, screwed the rear light lenses in place so that i have the right level and will be replacing them with l.e.d side ligths and indicators :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next it to sand it to shape and add primer and paint then order new front panel

just want to crack on with it lol as have been wanting to do a moped for a while and do something different thats cheap yet can still have the same effect on people as a car :)

all comments welcome :)

10. RIGZ.172

RIGZ.172 Member

Rides:
    camel
    Lookoing fab mate cnt wait too see this :)

11. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

cheers dude

bit more of an update

finished off smoothing the rear end today just need primer and paint then they are pretty much done other then adding l.e.d strips for indicators :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all comments welcome :)

12. Zip Speed

Zip Speed Member

13. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

i would say i got insperation from yours :)

im using a zip sp front end now though :)

with the plans i have in my head will be different and have a mix of new school and old school style :)

14. Zip Speed

Zip Speed Member

so pretty much got some of the ideas from mine then lol

fair play mate going to look good when its done keep us posted :)

By the way if you've never done a bar conversion on a zip before your going to be in for a big surprise if your going to be using zip forks the stem will need some engineering if you want to fit it correctly (The clamp on a aftermarket stem wont work properly as the stem coming up from the forks isn't long enough you'll know what i mean when you get to this stage lol)

If you need some help just ask and help with what i can.

15. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

well in yours you can roughly make out what a smooth back end would look like so thought fuck it smooth it right up lol

yea will deffo keep the updates coming whenver there is progress :)

na i havent done a bar convervion on a zip before well any ped for that matter lol

but being a mechanic i know a machineist as he made my custom exhaust tips for my car :good:

16. Zip Speed

Zip Speed Member

lol
    ahh ok fair play looking forward to when its done theres only mine and a few other zips with bars conversions lol

17. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

ahh ok well i will keep the updates coming and what problems i had doing the bar conversion so people will know lol

its just trying to keep all the wiring hidden, not that there is going to be alot of wiring lol

18. Zip Speed

Zip Speed Member

you should be fine with the new wiring for the new lights if that whats your on about there's loads of spare room in the front of zip front panels. if it was liquid cooled there probs wouldn't be as much room because of the radiator lol

19. rems

rems 2000 pac man zip

have some updates today and after spending near on 45 mins in halfords putting colours next to eachother and seeing what looks good i have chosen the 2 colours im going to use :) (cant remembers the names but its a light metalic blue and a creamy tan colour, havent got the tan colour yet as didnt have enough money lol) so heres the pic

primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and blue (needs more coats as if bloody hard painting metalic from a can)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all comments welcome as usual :)

20. Edgar

Edgar Active Member

should of went for brown and creamy color , but this one still nice :)