Project VX - Complete - Sold - Find me a 125/180 2t cheap!

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Jefr0-180, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Right, bought the bike from my friend who had a head on crash and never wanted to go back on the bike or repair it. Me and my friend Jason took it upon us to have it as a summer project as us Uni students get 5 months off in the summer!

Bike is a 05 plate Gilera Runner 125 vx, there was quite a bit of damage.

Heres a pic of when we went to see it (Only pic I took):

[​IMG]

Assessing the damage (Oh yeah, feel free to comment about any randomness in the background :rofl: ):

[​IMG]

Frame bent...not a problem ;)

[​IMG]

Forks, as you guessed it...fucked lol:

[​IMG]

Then we started to strip it, to clean up all the bits and assess any damage that there may of been underneath...looking at what parts we can customise too.

[​IMG]

End of day 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ Parts all labeled and in bags etc.

Preety much how far it's going to go down to, no engine work my friends! Maybe a custom exhaust ;)

[​IMG]

Then we started to sand down the panels and get them prepared for the fibreglassing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend nitromors lent me a hand:

[​IMG]

Some of the fibreglassing in its early stages:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd stage of moulding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fibreglassing came to us quite easy although it is a hard and long process of filling and sanding, priming to see etc.

We sometimes got a little bored of doing one thing so we did polishing when we had some free time instead sometimes whilst waiting for the fibreglassing to dry.

[​IMG]

^^ First of the polishing bits done, came out very well.

I managed to repair a 2 inch crack, did it first time with the mould which I was quite proud of :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brother going mad with the dremal!! Had alot of moulding to do after that, he got carried away lol.

[​IMG]

Disasembled the forks and bought a new set for 80 quid with some other bits we needed thrown in: inner handlebar cover, 2x horn panels, LH vent panel, front wheel bolt (goes all the way through), maybe 1 or 2 other bits..thought it was quite a deal! Got on with polishing the forks before reassembling:

[​IMG]

Whilst all this was happening we got the frame straightened by a place in maidstone (was bent in 3 places). Also made a order from scooter centre for some bits we needed/wanted:

L/h indicator lense
    Chrome sidestand
    LED rear light
    White grilling
    Horn panel (no lugs, will explain later)

One of the fibreglassed panels, nearly finished, just a couple of holes to fill:

[​IMG]

Heres a pic of the handlebar cover, guess whats been done..Don't worry it's not staying that colour, its just a mock up :rofl:

[​IMG]

Me! Forks were a bit rusty (the ones we bought) so I got on it and started preparing them for paint:

[​IMG]

Primer and then the coat and the reveal! Also had to respray a bit of the shock mount as it had got rusty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preping for powdercoat..bits to go are:

Wheels, footrest holders, rear shocks

[​IMG]

The horn panel that I ordered from SC didnt have any lugs on, it had 4 screw holes :wtf: .....no thanks! So I began to cut some lugs off the old panel that I got with the forks:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of it, fibreglassed and moulded (not finished) with the new lugs on, took alot of measuring and adjustment to get right! Also had to dremal alot off the top edge as it was designed to screw onto the inner panel, made it look like the traditional horn panel fitment.

[​IMG]

Then came the rad panel, which will have holes cut out at the side, then grilling there and on the middle with a polished stainless bracket made up to fit the middle.

[​IMG]

Powdercoating arrives back! spanking!

[​IMG]

Footrests on and chrome sidestand, chopped rubbers for correct fitment (was mean't for the 2 stroke frame) - I know what I mean lol

[​IMG]

Few bits went back on for mock up:

[​IMG]

Can you guess from this pic what I have planned?

[​IMG]

Had to cut a bit of the pipe (that leads all the way to the transmission)

[​IMG]

Crazy James was round at the time and wanted to be in a picture, so I let him hold this innner pipe with the grilling. The inner pipe, (Had to use 2 sizes to make it fit and the size I want) the poles came in no smaller than the size of my shed but were only 1.50 lol

[​IMG]

Began again with the fibreglassin to get the shape we wanted for the induction tube (what I call it hehe)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Primered up, to see the last little holes. What ya think?

[​IMG]

This is one of the larger panels, its both panels fibreglassed and moulded together.

[​IMG]

These are the pics I can find for now but there is alot more to be done with this project. Starts again soonish. Some of the panels are finished, got nothing else really to order, apart from the compressor and painting stuff.

Still after a undertray but was thinking of making one as I got a new sander for xmas and could make a wooden mould. I'm gonna do it to see how well it works, then if it's good, maybe make a few and sell them on. Make my own patterns etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (19/05/2008)

Well now I'm not back to Uni till October I got a bit of free time :p to start on this Runner again. I went to the shed to see what had to be done before paint and also any ideas I can think of. Come up with this:

* R/H Rear panel - not far off just got to fill a couple lil holes
    * L/H Rear panel - not far off just got to fill a couple lil holes
    * Inspection panel - just got to get smooth a bit more
    * Induction panel (L/H) - just got to get smooth a bit more
    * Handlebar outer panel - got to hide the lines left by the holes
    * Horn cover - fill in the gaps on the edges and make sure it's strong enough
    * Front mudguard - either fix and customise or source another one cheap

Also have the following bits not sure what to do with them:

* Flywheel cover - spray? polish? powdercoat? leave?
    * Rad panel - already cut the side bits (see pics above), not sure whether to cut out the middle and have a alloy polished surround with white grilling in the middle
    * Sort out the alarm, leave on and take out totally

Here are a couple pics:

The bits left to do:

[​IMG]

Sneak peek of the runner, gonna come out on Wednesday :cool:

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (9/06/2008)

Well after my post in the workshop about trouble starting, my first instinct which was the exhaust needed to be put on for back pressure was correct!

Got it started, its had all new fluids, same sparkplug and it started up after about 30 seconds of trying and ticks over nicely. Well happy about that as it has been sitting for 3 years now and it started up after 30 seconds!

Brother was helping me and wanted to see what the runner looks like with a couple panels on (all held on with tape :rofl: ):

Update (04/09/2008)

Well I been hard at it this week and I've managed to complete another couple of panels....leaving me with one!!! <--- Could maybe do it in a day or two.

Also got this in the post today so I can start spraying woop woop, gotta get some paint first though. Gonna primer all the panels n touch up any lil imperfections then ready for paintjob :cool:

[​IMG]

30 seconds later :D :

[​IMG]

So now, all I need to finish the bike is:

> Front mudguard (getting off a mate who has just ordered evos)
    > Undertray (where the f can you get one these days)
    > Battery
    > Numberplate bracket
    > Exhaust

Maybe a couple other bits but I can start spraying when I get the paint.

Update (05/10/2008)

You know what time it is :cool:

[​IMG]

Well not much of an update, but more of a, here is what I'm gonna do next.

Left to do is:

1 Make second hole in undertray
    2 Buy paint
    3 Primer remaining panels
    4 Buy battery
    5 Get custom numberplate made
    6 Get custom numberplate bracket made
    7 Sort out horn cover
    8 Make bracket for exhaust
    9 Get downpipe made for exhaust
    10 Get sharp signs graphic done with paint
    11 Buy lil engine casing cover

Got the VX out today to have a look at things, had a look in the shed and thought I'd have a look at the CBR RR rear end on it to see what it looks like (Maybe do it on the next runner) Obviously it would be lower and set differently but it don't look too bad imo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also opened up the dusty box of shinys parcel of the exhaust, thought I'd compare it to standard (soooo much lighter).

[​IMG]

Used a bit of cloth to mock it up on the bike with standard downpipe. I think a bit higher would be better, will need to get a custom downpipe made and to match the hole on the exhaust diameter too.

[​IMG]

Did try and start it up but from where my dad just got another bike he killed the jump starter otherwise I was going to do a vid with shinys exhaust on.

And this is the lil engine piece I need, really can not be arsed to go to a piaggio dealer and get one for pennies lol.

[​IMG]

UPDATE (30/05/2009)

Well, I had a look down the shed to see what needs doing....not alot :D

The list:

1 Make second hole in undertray - DONE
    2 Buy paint - DONE - Half
    3 Primer remaining panels
    4 Buy battery
    5 Get custom numberplate made - DONE
    7 Sort out horn cover - DONE
    10 Buy lil engine casing cover - DONE

Just bought some bits, all waiting for me in the post :cool:

Mercedes artic white paint 2.5l
    Fine line tape
    1200 wet and dry
    Tack cloths
    Numberplate
    Dust sheets (got given for free)
    Thinners (already had)

Already got primer too, so need to finish primering them, spray all panels white. Once sprayed, mask up and find a red to use. It's all go go go now, just need to wait for them to arrive then I can get started, can primer for now though :cool:

Dad will sort me out the exhaust bracket and couple of detailing parts unmentioned ;)...also me and him will attempt to make the downpipe, tack it up and get it pro welded, if it goes wrong, won't cost alot ;)

Will buy battery nearer the time needed. Made the second hole in the undertray today and rubbed it down all ready to go. Will update next week.
    [​IMG]

UPDATE (01/06/2009)

Finished the remaining panels that had to be primered today aswell as getting sunburnt :rofl:

Just gotta wait on parcels now, horn panel is one of them which will need primering too. Now can only wait for the white to come through. Going to spray every panel white then use it as a basecoat for the candy apple red.

1 Make second hole in undertray - DONE
    2 Buy paint - DONE - half
    3 Primer remaining panels - DONE
    4 Buy battery
    5 Get custom numberplate made - DONE
    7 Sort out horn cover - DONE
    10 Buy lil engine casing cover - DONE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE (04/06/2009)

Received some parts :cool:

[​IMG]

Numberplate :cool:

[​IMG]

Don't I look like such a malcomn :rofl: P.S. Not naked underneath.

[​IMG]

Me in action :cool:

[​IMG]

After 4 coats, got water on it, just about to rub down then lay 2 more coats on. Trust me the pic doesn't do it justice and there is no sun on it.

[​IMG]

Doing 6 coats total, really start to shine, no pics of it yet though. Then going to rub down, spray the candy apple red, then laquer n polish ;)

UPDATE (28/07/2009)

Finished spraying all the panels in mercedes artic white. Going tomorrow to get some candy apple red paint n little things I might need. This thread is worthless without pics so....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE (01/07/2009)

Just thought I'd update my recent purchase and me in action with spraying the red.

Went for a beetle brilliant red in the end, sod candy :confused:hock:

[​IMG]

Bits are: Thinners, more thinners, spare tins for mixing, dads sidecar green, laquer, red, compound, mask, masking paper, stuff for compounding.

[​IMG]

And a normal picture of me spraying.

[​IMG]

Mini UPDATE (03/07/2009)

[​IMG]

Getting there, just needs a few amendments etc to get right, only a few panels left to spray :grin:

UPDATE (05/08/2009)

So 90% of the panels are on the bike but need to order a couple screws etc.

All gone on alright but still haven't given them a polish so don't look too great at the mo and used a crappy camera phone because my bro nicked my cam to go touring so the paint looks a bit purple.

Only a few more things to get now, but here is some updated pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE 26/08/2009

Had to do some minor touch ups and my uncle gave me a little device to borrow :grin:

Bloody wicked bit of kit and managed to do all the bits needed, got its only little compressor hehe. Also had a look at what other bits I need to finish this project.

Here is a better pic of the red and shinyness (not even polished yet)

[​IMG]

Here is the little beast:

[​IMG]

Me in action:

[​IMG]

Close up pic for minor of the forks :grin:

[​IMG]

Also, what I need to finish so please help me out if you got these bits :hello:

Little rub bit for a mirror (pictured below)
    Exhaust (aftermarket)
    Dad to make me a numberplate bracket
    Graphic for forks (stig?)
    4 Mudguard screws (chrome, original)
    About 5-10 big screws |--- not |=---
    Indicators fitted
    Dad to make me something for the back of the bike :cool:

[​IMG]

SNEAKY UPDATE (28/08/2009)

Dad has been a busy man down the shed making up a couple of parts I need :mrgreen:

First up is the undertray bracket, mounted on the seatbucket and holds underneath the undertray nice and secure so it won't go anywhere :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is this little beast that is in the process of becoming a numberplate holder :cool:
    Some of you may remember the GILERA180 bracket he made, it will be a bit different to that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a work in progress but good so far. Also crazyjames sorted me out some brand new mudguard screws :cheers:

UPDATE (06/09/2009)

Was a longer job than I thought but I had to take the casing off and give that a good polish. Then I had some screws bought a while back, polished them then relised they were too big so had to cut them down and thread them more because the shoulder was too big. But anyway, did that and fitted the airbox and bit infront, also the rear mudguard. So everything was there to start her up but then my battery power back was dead so gonna start it up Wednesday :mrgreen:

Pics from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini UPDATE (09/09/2009)

Another 1 of the custom parts which is now finished and on the bike. The VX sign started life as just a bit of metal, similiar to the numberplate bracket is was cut out and polished. Drilling a hole through it, threaded it then put a screw in it and got it welded. Then polished it again and built it up from looking at the pic:

[​IMG]

On the bike:

[​IMG]

I made the noob mistake of taking the pics on my mobile rather than my camera so doesn't do it justice.

UPDATE (18/09/2009)

Got the numberplate bracket fitted today :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also received the mirror rubber I needed from shiny and got through my order of white vinyl for the forks.

UPDATE (30/09/2009)

Exhaust received today. Ordered yesterday at 4pm and received today at 10am :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goint to fit it possibly today but I want to polish all the brackets n downpipes first.

Logbook is on way too so not far to go.

--

Pipe is now fitted to the bike, all bits polished from the box, after a bit of sodding about here is the outcome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No vids yet because I need a battery n we think our battery pack has had it.

UPDATE (26/10/2009)

Had a really good day after work with my bro helping me finish the last lil major bits. Got the indicators wired up and fitted, speedo cable routed and fitted and the mirrors connected. Also tidied up the lil bits I had to do. Oh yeah and put the white vinyl on the forks.

Only things now are, bolts for vents, good clean then MOT n TAX n eBay :cool:

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE (31/10/2009) - GOING ON EBAY THIS WEEK!

The runner got MOT'd n taxed today :mrgreen:

Just need to put bolt holes on the vents, little tidy up and clean then on eBay, so yeah, get your money ready :cool:

UPDATE (03/11/2009) - FINAL PICTURES

Here is some of the pics I took for the eBay ad, took about 40 of it complete but here's 12:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Concept

Concept New Member

Very impressive Jefro. Nice to see a project go to plan. Alot of hard work there! Looks like youve got a nice work place and some good mates to help out!

Not too keen on the purple nail varnish though mate, Id go for silver to match all of the polished bits :p ;)

3. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

like the rims they look the dogs ;) ....gonna be a bitch to keep clean though!!!

I was contemplating some sort of cold air scoop induction on my runner...

you beat me to it :(

project looks good so far....cant wait for updates ;)

4. Adam:

Adam: New Member

Looking good, rims look great! What colour are you thinking about doing the panels in?

5. Nitro-Rhys

Nitro-Rhys Active Member

lookin great cant wait to see it finished, awesome panel work :tup:

6. BrummyBoy

BrummyBoy New Member

wow that is gonna look like a proper mean machine, you have done the same as me with the handlebar cowl, although i need to re do mine because the laquer reacted with the paint :emb:

7. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys, you might be a bit disappointed waiting for the next update..but good things come to those who wait!

Next update might be my attempt at making a undertray ;)

Thanks mate, got everything I need in my shed :cool: ...Got me, my bro helped for a bit, my friends Jason and Paul..Dads been overlooking on what we have been doing to try and get stuck in! Oh yeah and my girlfriend was moulding a panel, not sure if we are using it yet though :rofl:

As for the nail varnish, that would be the girlfriend, she insisted to hold it lol!

Thanks mate, the rims came out really well in the end, gotta see them in the flesh really. Won't be my problem keeping them clean :p

The air induction should theoretically work and don't see why it wouldn't, can't wait to see it finished.

You'll have to wait for the updates though hehe.

Thanks Ad, that's where I need the input on the colour.

Had a couple ideas..

Off centre split paint scheme with 2 white viper stripes seperating the colours of candy green and candy blue.

Or

Blood red..but that's been done, where I got some of the inspiration

Thanks my friend hehe. It's a long process but I got so many ideas. Already got planned a 180 2 stroke with bee sting tail etc. The list goes on hehe.

Lol I hope it will look mean!

Yeh the handlebar cowl was probably the easiest of the fibreglassing, getting rid of the rings after filling were a bit of a bitch though.

8. BrummyBoy

BrummyBoy New Member

i didnt fibre glass mine, just used normal filler and spent ages shaping it
    looks pretty good, apart from the laquer not playing ball :emb:

[​IMG]

9. Kieran

Kieran Active Member

Rides:
    st
  10. CrazyJames

CrazyJames Member

Rides:
    Ratty Runner 172
    Cummin along very nicely there mate, i think i might have 2 cum down and ave a butchers sumtime soon and see wot else u have done :D :D

11. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Ah right, just thought the fibreglass might give it a bit of strength. Looking good in the pic, can't see any lines, you've done a good job. Shame about the laquer :(

That wasn't very nice :(

..and thankyou :tup:

Thanks crazy fool. Yeah come on down! got loads of spare bits, could pick up a bargain! Dom did a few months ago

12. frainey

frainey New Member

Looking good :rofl:
    Cant wait see the outcome of this one :drool:

13. Nrg-Sam

Nrg-Sam Active Member

fair play jefro... loving the quality of work and attention to detail :D

really wish i had the patience to do something like this, can tell its gonna be summat special already :pimp:

14. ad180

ad180 New Member

yeh looks well good i was thinking about forced air control to cool my runner aswell just one question. you have filled in your indicator lenses on the front and you have filled in the handle bar cowl just wondering where are you going to fit the front indicators?

15. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Thanksssssssssss

You'll have to wait I'm afraid! hehe

Cheers mate, glad ya noticed some bits. From all the stuff I've seen you go through on here with ya bikes you get and do this and that with, you must be able to do this sort of thing. When ya bored, get a idea then think of how you can do it, then do it! If you have any probs you can just ask me ;)

The intake should work well I think. Oh yea, indicators :wtf:

Will have to be in the next update I suppose :p

16. lol

lol New Member

yh looking mad make sure to keep it lock up i like the vent idear

17. apex

apex New Member

I know youv already done the handlebar panel, but I reckon some chrome renthals would finish the bike off perfect!

Makes the bike feel aggy asewll :pimp:

18. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Cheers mate, trust me it's locked up madly lol. Vent idea? the intake? Very easy to make, got loads of spare bits of pole, could make them to order but then you will have the job of fibreglassing :p

Thanks, I was planning to get it ready for ASS but I just don't trust it anymore with a nice bike, feel on edge all the time and just can't wait to get it home. It won't be done for then anyway but I was hoping to get it in a magasine. Had a couple of chances with my old one but I was just lazy.

As soon as it's done, it will be going on eBay most probably. Wouldn't keep a vx myself lol.

Cool cool I'll probs get started on it soon, when the coursework dies down a bit I'll have some free time.

BTW I prefer the aerox 172 than the speedy's. Angle of the engine just don't seem right although you have a short wheel base, must be interesting :unsure:

Well there's only so much you can spend when you're on a budget. I spent around £2000 on my last runner and could of spent more!

19. piaggiozipkid50

piaggiozipkid50 New Member

that look the bizz already mate you sure do know how to make a scoot look good buddy keep going looks fab!

20. rezzin

rezzin Member

Nice nails babe. ;)