Project Furlough

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by The Messenger, May 7, 2020.

1. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

To kill the furlough blues being stuck at home on lock down, I decided to enter the deepest depths of my shed, where no man has ventured since around 2012, and drag out my old runner 70cc.

[​IMG]

as you can see there was many years of dust cob webs and spiders to evict, i tentatively pushed down on the kick start, phew shes not seized.

I drained the tank of 8 year old petrol which had kinda turned brownish ...

[​IMG]

refilled with some fresh Shell V power fuel with Castrol TTS mixed to 40:1 and replaced the fuel pipe to the carb as it had gone very brittle.

I couldnt find the battery for the scooter, so i hooked up a car battery under the seat to test the electric water pump still works, it did...

lots of kicks and she finally dragged some fresh fuel up to the carb, and just as my leg was about to drop off from repetitive strain she coughed into life and The Yasuni was singing again.... :D

Here she is after a bit of a strip down and clean up.

[​IMG]

The plans are to go through everything and get her to a point where i feel she could pass the m.o.t, Most people go up in carb size, but i want to replace the 24mm PWK carb she runs now with a smaller Dellorto 21mm carb so i can run a std air box, modified of course, to keep the noise levels down, i love a bit of stealth tuning me o_O

dozens of orders have gone in for parts and bits and pieces, the poor post man doesnt know what has hit him lol.

[​IMG]

She scrubs up well ...

[​IMG]

any way i hope i havent bored you all to much :D

The suns out and ive got a new battery to fit, and a tail light lens and std new mirrors, an air box to modify..... who said being in lock down was boring.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yes.
    Awesome.

3. The Messenger

I bought one of those cheap DMP copy air boxes, and a new inlet rubber.

The inlet hole seems to have a restrictor built into it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so time to get the multi tool out and see if I can get this sucker to flow a bit better o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also cut away some of the internal sectioning inside the air box to help improve flow, and then the crowning glory... I made a little air horn for it.

[​IMG]

voila 1 stealth high flow air box :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    scubabiker likes this.
  4. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Its not boring. Its lovely

The Messenger likes this.
  5. The Messenger

thanks dude means alot :D

6. The Messenger

While im waiting for a few bits and bobs to arrive, its time to turn my attention to tidying up a few areas of the scoot.

[​IMG]

The tranny case is looking a bit shabby, so time to pop that off for a tidy up and also to show you what the scoot has hidden away inside.

[​IMG]

The auto lube and the mechanical water pump has been removed, oiling taken care of pre mix and cooling by electric water pump.

[​IMG]

The transmission it self has a Polini speed control variator, stage 6 alloy outer pulley half ...

[​IMG]

stage 6 adjustable clutch, finned clutch bell, purple malossi contra spring ...

[​IMG]

Malossi rear torque driver and a 20% gear up kit.

[​IMG]

scubabiker likes this.
  7. The Messenger

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  8. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Sounds great mate!! Transmission set up looks serious

The Messenger likes this.
  9. The Messenger

i found a Malossi over range set up in a big box of spares the other day... forgot I had it .

ive got a spare engine with a polini sport set up, my old work bike engine, another spare set of cases which are half flowed... about 3 different carbs... I ought to start a scooter shop :D

briddgy likes this.
  10. The Messenger

Fitted a new filter element in the air box, Malossi Red Sponge... probably doesnt make any difference, but are about the same price as a std piaggio replacement but look a bit better.

[​IMG]

I took the 40% primary gear up out the gearbox and put my 19% gears in, and rigged up this little oil filler out of bits i had lying around the shed.
    This is what boredom does to you :D

[​IMG]

tidied up the tatty old transmission case, here it is drying in the paint booth :p

[​IMG]

The stanchions on my front forks are pitted, and im sure would fail the m.o.t, so im tidying up a spare set i had in my shed, which were tatty but had good stanchions.

[​IMG]

ive got some brand new top and bottom head race bearings ready for when i swap out the forks.

briddgy likes this.
  11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Free range trans cover...

briddgy likes this.
  12. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    This thing is going to be soon clean man!

Wish I had loads of good parts just lying around in my shed lol

13. The Messenger

some of them have gone rusty from being stored in a damp shed, which is a shame.

briddgy likes this.
  14. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    The malossi redsponge lets little more air than the standard sponge, have you modified your airbox for your carb?

15. The Messenger

yep :D

16. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    What do you have to do to it?

17. The Messenger

Firstly the entry into the air box needs to be enlarged, and secondly the divider inside the air box needs to be opened up a bit.

18. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    You need to open the hole where it intakes air according to your carb area.

19. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Any pictures guys? Not to sure where you mean?

20. The Messenger

On Friday I stripped my old rusty forks off the Runner and fitted the forks i tidied up. I think the replacement forks were off a Piaggio NRG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it turns out the NRG forks arent exactly the same as the Runner forks, The top part where the handle bars fit on is a longer length on the NRG forks, which means the two nuts that hold the top bearing in place wont screw down enough. I got around this by fitting a 2nd bottom bearing cup on top of the original bearing cup, which acts as a spacer solving the problem. but then i found the NRG forks are as stiff as f**k.

There was too many things I wasnt happy about the NRG forks, so ive ordered a brand new pair of original piaggio Runner forks from Italy :eek:
    yeahh not cheap... I did look at 2nd hand forks on E-bay, but sellers were asking silly money for rusty old shite, one seller was asking more money for a 2nd hand pair of forks than they are to buy new!!! so I thought you know what, something as important as this needs to be right.... i will just have to eat Beans on toast for the next week :D

Last edited: May 23, 2020