Programmable CDI??

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by pamarakos, Nov 17, 2014.

1. pamarakos

pamarakos Member

Hi
    I own a converted 2t 125 Typhoon to 172cc Malossi with a phbl 25 carb together with a PM variator not even one issue with all of these last 3-4 years I m using them! Issue that I have is with an Athena CDI I use and it needs to be replaced because of failure every almost one year! The very same moment of the sudden failure and engine doesnt start after several tries and if I m lucky and the plug doesnt get wet, if I replace the Athena cdi with a stock one or a new Athena I m ready to go in a second! Anyways!
    Has anyone used a programmable cdi on his scooter like ignitech for example? Or should I go the ac to lc stator-flywheel-cdi conversion?? Money is almost the same for 180 2t ignition used parts!
    Also does anyone know if Athena CDI only derestricts the rpm limit and keeps ignition curve at 19degrees or it raises this too?
    Thanks for reading!

2. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

Hi
    I have the malossi cdi box on my leader 180 4t that has lasted for years so check to see if they do one for your model. most after market cdi boxes change the rev limiter also the timing and they normally come with a disclaimer about it making your bike rev more.. you can also make sure all connectors are greased up with petroleum jelly to stop the ingress of water also use a old inner tube to wrap your cdi in and that should also help the water