Problems starting

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Bouncer, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

so I don’t have a kick elekky only but she don’t want to start up with air filter on I gotta take it off and cover the air filter hole for bout 3/4 seconds then let go and it fires up I’m on a manual choke on a 21 mill carb any help would be great

2. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    I had a problem like this,to discover the inlet manifold from the carb to the reed block had a slit in it. so getting too much air. I can only suggest you are getting too much air from somewhere or the choke or idle jet is blocked.

3. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

Orite thanks I’ll check the manifold connector bit for carb cos it’s like a rubber

4. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    if you cant find any air inlet leak, try cleaning the carb jets, take the jets out blast through them with air duster or wd40 or contact cleaner or anything like that. try blasting through any way the petrol gasses flow. for some reason your mix is way too lean for starting.

5. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

There all new 21 m carb all new jets runnin on a 100 jet got open air filter and viper exhaust on its 100 cc

6. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

Found out I had a massive crack in me engine so I’ve had a rebuild and now don’t even fire up ??? Tried fuel down head it wants to but dosent

7. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    where was the crack in the engine. and managed to find your thread again. :)

8. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

Well I was originally changeing the bearings and found it on the in side we’re crank goes but at the bottom of the engine if ya get me and yea sorry about the post on this thread I was reading and just thought I’d ask

9. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

sorted that tho new engine casing but what gets me is it wa running befor and now not it’s only got elekky start till tomorrow hopefully it arrives and I sort the kickstart out but I keep hold of start button and it’s jus like plodding and not firein up fully if you understand

10. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    yeah, I didn't notice how old the thread was before and just replied. lol. If you were getting excess air and bad compression, then you would have adjusted for excess fuel, if there are not any other mods apart from the carb go with the standard jet size to begin with, and you should start off the pilot and get tickover. ensure you are getting a good constant spark, but its more likely you are getting too much fuel in the mix, try turning the air screw out, or if you have the original carb, try getting it running with that first then you have a good starting point.

11. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

We’ll i got 21mm carb I got air filter and a viper exhaust on ,,,my standard carb is fucked lol so u sayin my jet too high , im still currently on 100 jet ? Is this too high

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  12. Bouncer

Bouncer New Member

When I brought the carb it had a 75 jet in would ya say that wa standard jet for it and work up from there ?? Cos I think ya right it’s gettin too much cos wen I try start it , after 2 mins of it tryin petty starts to flood out of carb so obvious gettin too much fuel right

13. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    I don't know what the standard size is and only used to 50cc piaggio. so wouldn't like to say. but would say try it with the 75 or whatever you have that's lower, and see if you are only losing power on top end.