Pressure Bleeder

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by JoJo, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    I miss that bike. I got loads of Aerox bits and if one comes along at the right price (cheap) I might buy it.
    I'm still waiting for the Insurance to settle after my car crash and I've just bought a 2011 Suzuki Swift Sport, so money's tight at the mo.

2. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Just went back out to try the Bike again, the whole Piston pushing in didnt help this time and I dont have any tube so did the bleeding without one, basically untighten the nipple, pull in the lever, tie it down, tighten the nipple, undo the lever, untighten the nipple, pull in the lever etc etc.......... and its back to pressure in the lever but not fully, again it stops the wheel at a low speed but not at a fast speed, so will continue to do this tomorrow as just my luck its started to rain! always looks fine so I go out for abit to sort the Bike and it starts to rain!

3. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Let me know how it goes.

4. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    No luck, nothing at all now...
    going to swap the pipes over on the Cylinders tomorrow, if that front(back) still doesnt work then I 100% know it isnt the Cylinder but I dont think it is anyway as I tried another 2 on there but just want to make sure....
    after that I have no clue what else to try,
    I did notice only 1 Piston comes out, and when that then hits something, the other will come out but not that good, took the Calliper apart, swapped the Pistons over, greased them abit, but still nothing...
    Dad said the Calliper looks fine, and theres no leaks in the Pipe from anywhere, both Pistons should come out at the same time? but again only 1 is so theres something up with it but not sure how to actually fix it.

5. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    I think you've just answered the problem it's something I mentioned before. You say the calliper has 2 pistons, the Aerox back brake only has only one piston, the master cylinder is simply too small and it cannot push enough fluid through the system to push out the pistons . Have a look at the original master cylinder and compare the bore and stroke of the piston.

6. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    But the original Cylinder and Universal Cylinder dont work either.... and I have a front Aerox Cylinder and 2 Pistons on the front Calliper and that works...?

7. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Put the back Pipe onto the front Cylinder to check it wasnt the Pipe and it still doesnt bleed, noticed the Lever wasnt as good as the original so put the original back on, but still nothing, Fluid will pump out alot through the bleed nipple, big bursts aswell soooooooo..... have to take it to the Garage, what do I tell them though? cant really say for them to bleed it as obv i'll get charged for a bleeding and they'll try and not have any luck, tried normal bleeding, vacuum and pressure.... checked for new Calliper prices and they were like £168! and again 3 Master Cylinders wont work, the front needed bleeding again obviously from trying the rear on it, and again that bled easily, its just this back one, and its just really weird how its only happened because the Banjo was taken off for awhile.... so yeah, what do I say to the Garage?

8. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    I suspect that your calliper is okay, if the pistons operate in and out without leaking fluid then they're fine.
    Get one of those rubber bleed hoses ( the ones with a split at the end) connect it to the bleed valve and put it in an empty jar, slack of the bleed valve and pump the lever keeping the reservoir topped up. If Fluid doesnt come out the pipe the you have an air lock, if it does come out of the tube when the lever is pulled then you don't have an airlock. If fluid comes out of the tube put some fluid into the jar so it covers the split carry on pumping and have a look to see if any air bubbles are coming out from the tube with the fluid. If air bubbles are visible then the system is drawing air from somewhere ( usually the banjo joint).

I hope that makes sense.

9. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Well I totally forgot today but im going to put the front pipe onto the back cylinder, as I know the front calliper works, so if the rear cylinder works on the front calliper then I can rule out the cylinders...? so its then the pipe or rear calliper... i'll take the pipe from out of the bike so I can see it all, connect it outside the bike to check there is no problems with it.. then its the calliper, theres something stopping that 1 piston from coming out properly, swapped the pistons around aswell so know it isnt the piston itself, but something stopping it from being pushed out properly....

Got until the 6th December to MOT it, and till the 30th November to Tax it, but can have 14 days after that date so basically 6th-14th to Tax and MOT it, if I get that brake fixed by then i'll obv get the Tax and MOT done, if its coming up to those dates and I still cant get it sorted then i'll sorn it, I wont be out on it if it snow and in the rain anyway so sorning it until Feb or whatever wont be a problem, atleast then i'll have more time to get it fixed, as again im not sure what to say to a Garage, I cant say bleed it as i'll get charged for that and if they cant do it then im buggered, dont want to take it in and just say 'fix it' as if they do need new parts then obv its going to cost a bomb and a new calliper is £168, I can keep looking on eBay and so on for used ones which are around £30 but again dont want them charging me a few hundred to fix this brake problem, which is really annoying as its only stopped JUST BECAUSE that Banjo was taken out, so maybe it just might be the Banjo... i've put new copper washers on it and I cant see any mis-thread etc on the Bolt itself though, but originally there was a sort of black paint/seal over it all, im not sure what the previous owner used though, but there wasnt originally washers on it, just a sort of black hard paint over it all, obv when I undid the Bolt that black paint cracked, but now since that im having the issues, just doesnt make sense!

10. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Try it again without the washers, just make sure the faces are clean.

11. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Well I did actually try it without Washers, the Pressure Bleed was also done at a Garage without the Washers but had no joy, thats when they told me to go home and take the Caliper apart to look for seized Pistons (but Pistons look fine)... that was awhile back, I can try it again tomorrow but cant see it working to be honest, but yeah.. tomorrow im going to put the front pipe onto the rear cylinder to see if that works, then i'll know the cylinder isnt broke, but again i've tried 3 on there, 2 of which were 100% working before that Banjo Bolt came out, its just really strange, bleed nipple open and the fluid will piss out of it when the levers pulled, so its just weird how it isnt pushing that other Piston out, and its the Piston nearer to the Banjo Bolt aswell, and it isnt blocked as when I took it apart again yesterday you could see straight through the caliper, i've emailed a Yamaha dealer aswell to see about the Cylinders being used on my Bike, hopefully they reply... just to make sure that the Cylinder is ok to use or not, but if the front one works ok then I cant see the rear being a problem (?)

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Buy a set of caliper seals and change them. You will probably find that the front seal on that one piston is dragging it back not allowing it to come out fully under pressure. I said this to you ages ago, i'm surprised you haven't tried it yet, considering the seals are less than a tenner. Just because they look fine doesn't mean they are, and the only way you can rule it out is to change them.
    Then you can go to the garage and say "I've changed the seals, bled it, but i cant get good enough pressure, can you have a look please and let me know what you find before you cost me loads of dosh" " And by the way it needs an MOT so can you do that as well please" and flutter you eyes lashes and look coy and they will probably cave.:D

13. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Just had a look, the Aerox master cylinder is 11mm diameter and the calliper is 30mm diameter.

14. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Still doesnt explain why the other 2 dont work now which used to :-/
    and I cant seem to find the Caliper Seals for my Bike, if anyone comes across them, let me know..

15. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Just found the bore x stroke for the bike: 57mm x 48.6mm

16. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Thats for the engine.

17. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    I have no clue about all that, just seen bore x stroke on a site for it lol cant find much details for the actual parts,
    not sure what Seals I need either, annoying.

18. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    What is the exact model and year of your bike?

19. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    2008 Aprilia Sportcity Cube 125

20. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Guy from WeMoto just replied and told me what Seals I need etc, but they're £17.82

www.apriliapartsonline.co.uk/index.php/scooters/sport-city-125-200-250/sport-city-125-200-250-e3-2006-2008/rear-caliper/10-brake-caliper-rev-kit-technical-specifications-heng-tong-ht-product-code-ap8213579.html

Tried to Google the Part Number to find anything cheaper but with no luck, £17.82 just for Seals lol
    he also said to take the Fluid Line completely out and lay it on a table straight and Bleed it, tapping it aswell to get any trapped bubbles out....

Still not sure about the Aerox Cylinders though, really wanted to keep them as they're the perfect size to fit on the Bars with the other things I have on there... and again the front one works fine, but the back doesnt, but then the original Cylinder and universal Cylinder doesnt work either, if anyone can get any info on whether the Aerox rear will actually work or not then that'll be great.... if it doesnt then i'll obv have to go back to looking for 2 more matching ones, fun times!