Pressure Bleeder

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by JoJo, Oct 26, 2013.

1. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    I dont know about these, but bought 1 but the instructions are showing Car Brakes,
    just wondering whether I can still use this...? and if so.. how?

this is the one I have:
    $T2eC16dHJGYFFk3-7TReBSDoK3YqQQ~~60_12.JPG

2. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    My dad has one and he swears by it, I haven't a clue how it works but it makes bleeding easier.

3. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Not sure how it would work on a Bike though :-/
    the pipes have weird ends...
    im guessing 1 tube would go on the bottle to the wheel,
    and then 1 from the bottle to the nipple,
    but im guessing i'd have to take 1 of the end bits off the pipe so its just plain?

4. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    My dads is for his bikes as-well, although one of the tubes goes to the master cylinder, I'll have to askhim how it works ahaha

5. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    It will only work on bikes which have a circular master cylinder reservior. The black caps in the picture replace the original cap for it's use. If you have a conventional rectangle master cylinder it will not work. Try using a vacuum one which sucks the fluid through from the calliper bleed valve.

6. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Its really annoying me, new Cylinders on both, front one bled fine, but this back one still wont work... thats 3 Cylinders now so obviously cant be that, the Caliper seriously looked fine, when the Pads aren't in and you pump the lever the Pisons come out fine and go back in fine, the Pipe seems to me ok and not blocked or anything as obv alot of Fluid comes out when bleeding, you can pump the lever until the pads hit the disc but then theres still just no pressure to stop the disc/wheel and no resistance in the lever.

7. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    You've probably got an air lock in the pipe at the master cylinder, try leaning the bike so it escapes into the master cylinder or if that doesn't work pump the brake to get the pistons out a bit, let it settle then push the pistons in the fluid will force the bubble out.

8. berserker

berserker Member

Tie the lever back over night, if you need to refill the reservoir then pump the lever a few times and it should firm up.

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Try this one Jo,
    Take the caliper off the bike, remove the pads, push the pistons all the way back so they can't go any further, then use a piece of wood to stop the pistons coming out. Go through the bleeding process and see if you get any pressure now.
    If you can't get any pressure try this:
    Take the rear caliper off completely.
    Swap it with the front caliper that you say bleeds normally; obviously you can't fit it to the rear of the bike so just attach the pipe, leave the pads in and bleed that. If you get pressure as normal you have a dodgy rear caliper or it is not sitting square when bolted up.
    Incidentally, something just crossed my mind, when you had the calipers off to paint them, and please don't take this the wrong way, you did do one at a time and not both together? Just thinking that maybe you put the front on the back and vice versa, hence the rear caliper touching the disc now when it didn't before?
    Clutching straws now with your rear brake.

10. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Thanks alot guys, i'll try these once the weather clears up...

and no i've never taken the Front Calliper off from the Pipe, i've only taken the Front off from the Bike when I replied the Pads, I never sprayed that one as the original red on it is still fine, I only took the back one off to spray as the red was flaking off.... so yeah... its the correct one on the back still lol

Mr Bizzle, noticed you're in Barry? I always went there on this Bike in the Summer, im in Cardiff/Ely, I usually went through the quiet lanes from Culver House Cross which comes out by the 5 Mile Lane I think and onto Port Road?

11. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    The guy who bought my bike lives in Ely, look out for an 04 plate Aerox in Rossi rep colours.

12. andy-pp

andy-pp Member

you can use it (only really need it for the rear brake) the easiest way is to remove the rear brake bleed nipple and refit it with ptfe most of the way in and then force fluid into the nipple (with the brake cylinder cap off) very gently until all the air has cleared- you need to ptfe the nipple on a scooter though otherwise it tends to keep drawing more air in (venturi)

13. mourneman

mourneman Member

Rides:
    VivaCity 50cc
    have you tried a different slave cylinder at the lever maybe the seal is letting fluid passed it instead putting pressure on the caliper

14. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    I've tried 3 different Cylinder/Levers (all together)
    so theres been 3 Cylinders and 3 Levers tried,
    i've got the Aerox ones on now which I want to keep,
    I dont think its the Cylinders/Levers, 3 of them cant all be faulty!
    but again the rear Caliper looks fine, no rust, no broken seals etc,
    it must be the Pipe, as again this only happened when the Pipe was taken off the rear Caliper,
    since that Banjo Bolt and Pipe was taken off, the rear brake has stopped working,
    well again, not stopped as pumping the Lever still brings the Pistons out easily,
    there just isn't enough pressure pushing them to stop the Disc.

Just wondering, the Cylinder end, when the Banjo Bolt etc goes on, at the end of the Pipe its angled right?
    well when I leave it all loose, the angle is at an annoying way, it makes the Pipe come under the Grip/Lever and then obv the Pipe goes back down the centre, but i've kind of.. not forced.. but held the Pipe around and then put the Banjo Bolt in so the angle is perfect and is angled straight to the centre, but I was wondering whether doing that might of effected anything inside the Pipe? I have the one with the metal surrounding, but surely just twisting that a little wouldnt cause the brakes to mess up? as the brake fluid still runs through the Pipe easily as the last time I bled it I used nearly a whole bottle of Fluid and it ran through the Pipe and out of the Bleed Nipple easy....

confusing.

15. mourneman

mourneman Member

Rides:
    VivaCity 50cc
    try a complete new pipe maybe the one you have has a break in the metal casing and the rubber tubing just bulges under pressure instead of the pistons pushing against the pads

16. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Could do... Pipes are expensive though, well the ones i've seen, annoying!

17. berserker

berserker Member

I had the same problem when I changed the front caliper. I bled through at least half a litre of clean fluid and the brake just about worked enough to hold the disc when stopped but was next to useless when moving. There was also very little feedback from the lever and it was travelling too far. I was convinced I had been sold a dud second hand caliper but it was just air in the system which just wouldn't bleed through.
    I tied the lever back for 24 hours and it works perfectly now; you could also try as Mr Bizzle says, lean the bike over to encourage the air to bleed upwards into the cylinder.

18. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Ok wicked, i've just put an elastic band around the grip/lever to keep it in, if it isnt raining tomorrow i'll go out and tilt the back, im guessing its just side to side? or would getting it up onto the back wheel help? (front wheel up) and IF it works then I just pump the lever abit and it should tighten up? wouldnt have to bleed anymore?

19. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Right, well THAT didnt work,
    put the band around it lastnight, just went out and took it off, pumped the lever, nothing... leaned the bike nearly full to the right, pumped the lever, nothing, leaned it a little to the left (wall is there) but still nothing, I did a video of the pipe and how its on the Bike, will get it on YouTube and then on here asap....

When my Brother gets here i'll try and get it up on the back wheel (like doing a wheelie), bikes abit heavy so cant do it on my own, will see how that goes, if not then im totally stuck, dont really want to have to buy a new Pipe but obv will if I really need to as again theCylinder and Caliper seems fine.

20. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Excuse the dirt, went though the Lanes the last time I went on it and it started raining so went straight in and couldnt clean it.