Porting a 70 barrel

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Haresign, Dec 25, 2007.

1. fuj_yammy54

fuj_yammy54 New Member

i'd do something like this to my aerox block.. but im 2 scared of splittin the bottom end..

ive dun ported engines in nitro radio controlled cars and it was brill but a peds a bit more complex... :wtf:

2. the eel

the eel New Member

Not bad grinding for a Kiwi.

:w00t:

3. waxhead

waxhead Member

I am using v-force reeds
    they havent been an issue on the jetskis before so im not to concerned about them

But i will watch for issues on them , thanks

Im thinking about a walbro carb as well to shorten up the intake , the one that my scooter has is great for a bull dozer but not a high reving 70cc two stroke

4. waxhead

waxhead Member

Cheers Eel

I was going to come around and grap the other scooter today

5. the eel

the eel New Member

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    forget the walboro.. they can give good results and responce but no butterfly carb will ever be equal to what a pwk can do ;)

you want full throttle power with an auto and you just dont get this witha walboro.. easy to setup and great on fuel/responce/mid throttle use but as i said all out power will be down

7. waxhead

waxhead Member

yeah but a 23mm walbro will flow as much as a 21mm oko

i know size for size they wont make as much as they dont flow the same

Im not thinking of trying to go for the same size

I will give it a go and see what happens , its an easy manifold to make and walbros are cheap carbs
    And then i will bolt my oko back on :w00t:

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye, and a 21 is way too small to get any real power out of a barrel.. if your porting a case you will need a 25 minimum to see results.

i remember somone saying about a league with crank/carb limitations tho so if this is the reason id go with what you know. but slide carbs will always have less turbulance and all out power than a butterfly. (as you are more than aware of im sure)

other thing you have to remember is you will only really need power with these at full throttle as the rest of the range the transmission makes up for. perfectly setup it WILL hit max revs at full throttle regardless the load the engine is under. direct drive like carts/boat engines and jetski's can have the output from an engine restricted by force = lower rpm. this doesrent happen with a scoot as it will full throttle and not loose any revs even up a 1 in 3 incline. variators rule ;)

9. the eel

the eel New Member

What wax is referring to is the sillyest bigbore goped I have ever ridden.

Fuken torquasaurus!

I have a mild gsr tsi but waxes shitbox chinese goped is downright fuken fun!

10. the eel

the eel New Member

I'm kind of fond of huge diaphragm carbs with butterfly throttles. Everything I have ever built that has won championships has been "over carbed"

:bird:

11. waxhead

waxhead Member

yeah i am going for a 21 to start with as we have a class of racing over here we the max carb size is 21mm

I will see after that with regard carb size

maybe get a bigger one when i decide to do a bigbore stroker

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    28pwk/dell for you then... LOOOOOOOL you wont regret it ;)

13. waxhead

waxhead Member

some thing like this eel

[​IMG][/url]

they should flow enough

14. waxhead

waxhead Member

I may give the 28 a go in time
    I will make sure my manifold is big enough to actually flow that bigger a carb when i modify it

15. the eel

the eel New Member

fuken oath! Lets bring on peaky engines!!!!

16. waxhead

waxhead Member

Funny things is that they run lower ex port timing than the ski motors

17. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    nothign wrong with peaky engines if they make more power. all im saying is you dont need any mid power, just aim for max power at max revs youyr crank is rated at an tune the pipe to suite.

the only gain to be had from a walboro other than setup is the length of the inlet tract. with a shorter tract responce and mid power is gained wiht a loss of all out speed. if you use a longer inlet tract (most seriouse uk tuners are) you gain more top sp[eed and higher rev power and the transmission makes up for losses low down. its swings an roundabouts but i can only say what ive found so far.

good luck wiht it anyway, whatever you do its gonna be fast this much we all know, its wether its fast enuff to go to spielmansplatten and try your luck with the euro's that matters to me (wanna get there the next couple years for sure)

18. the eel

the eel New Member

love that pic!!!! Thats a 785cc rotax rotary valve engine with a serious top end. Capable of 149hp@7800

Those carbs are gold! 48 novi modded mikuni's.

19. waxhead

waxhead Member

Its just going to be a street hack and maybe a bit of club track days

you say some of the euro tuners using longer intake mmm thats interesting it must have something to do with the weight of the air colum after the piston has hit bdc

20. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    lots of the euro's have tryd walboro's/cart carbs and allsorts of other nonsence but all fall back on slide carbs and inch long inlets as a minimum. longer basicly slows the attack wave from the engine meaning a more steady stream = less responcive but less flutter on the reeds and at full wack there not as sensative to the constant start stop of the pressure wave as theres sort of a discharge area for the air in the tract itself..

i think of it like a baloon.. the bigger the area of the balloon the less a set pressure will affect it. so if you squeeze a small baloon it will double in size, a large baloon will only swell slightly.

ether makes sence or sounds like complete arse but sounds good to me ether way :D