port map

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by DYS VTR, Jan 12, 2009.

1. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    this is the way i have been shown and always used making a port map on paper, just the way i do it im sure people have there own method but i thort id show it to help people that havnt done it before

[​IMG]
    get a bit of paper, cut it down straight so it fits in the barrel tight

[​IMG]
    make sure it sits flush at the top then tape it down so id doesnt move, try n hold it aswell. shade it in using a pencil

[​IMG]
    turn it uspside down and mark

[​IMG]
    take it out, and start markin

just my way

2. RY4N172

RY4N172 New Member

LOL at your pc

back on topic: i dont trust my self with a dremmel lol

3. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    lol, dont no anything about pc's all i no is the actual pc is alright, just key bord, screen all that is shit lol

4. Dec

Dec Active Member

Rides:
    nothing ugm
    wow cheers si, pretty helpful ;)

5. WOLFFY

WOLFFY New Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Nice one bruvva :beer:

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    paper is round the wrong way, the join should be over the devider in the boost port or riding along one of the ring end's

and is this your supposed 29bhp barrel as it dont look like one, more like 26

7. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    nope, this is one i started myself :D the join was over the exhaust port, but then i cut it over the boost ported after cos i realised i did it wrong lol

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    so you did this barrel yourself?

9. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    yup, not finished tho. what u think? probably dog shit compared to ur work lol and ive chopped the piston a little bit, il get a pick

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    leave the piston alone.... as for the zaust.. good size so leave it at that width... fold the map in half so the 2 primary transfers line up, trace the widest section fo both sides of the exhaust port, cut out all the ports then lay it back in, wil be even side to side this way... get the transfer feeds squared off and widened an ye, will go well.

11. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    nice 1 hadnt thort about doing that (cutting them out to get even ect) :punk:

ive already done a little bit to the piston but thats all i was going to do
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i was going to go .5 -1mm wider each side on the exhaust match the 2 transfers nerest the exhaust up and make the 2 nearest the boost a 1mm wider.

yay or nay? cheers for ur help :D

12. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Slowly understanding this porting malarky.

13. gammaboy

gammaboy New Member

handy to know how to do a map :D also, what's the advantage of cutting the piston about? I see minor saying don't touch it but does it adjust the duration or somert?

14. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    piston looks tidy... but its gonna run out of balance.. need to remove some weight from the other side (bear in mind mark it up when the piston is at tdc so you dont overlap the exhaust port timing into the crankcase) marginal gains for big risk doing that sort of thing... but ye, leave thew width for now... just make sure its nice an even, dont touch the transfers ATALL for now.. no need, simply enlarge the feeds and flow the case, will be semi reliable power.. just keep an eye on the ring end gap and do regular checks...

15. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    cuitting the piston does 4 things, 2 of wich are good, 2 are bad

1, it reduces the weight of the piston meaning faster pickup time rpm wise.. second it clears at bdc so the fresh charge from the reedblock has a clearer path also the vac from the piston is more directly placed on the reeds

the bad points are there is less holding the piston where you want it, a piston naturally wants to fall over in any direction when fired on as the hardest path is directly down, it would be easier for the piston to move side to side/back an forth but the length of the piston and the skirt keep it in line with the bore.. also as theres less mass to the piston it heats up quicker and cant expell its heaty as fast... could waffel on for hours really but tbh as i said marginal gains for maximum risk really..

16. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    nice 1, il have a bit more of a fiddle with the piston to make it a bit more even. the cases and feeds are going to be opened up as theyve not been started yet, and the cases are still in progress. ive widened the inlet for my bigger reed block and did make a start on the cases (started 1 side so far) its all work in proggress and slow progress due to having a very busy few months. hopefully ill have the home brewed beast ready for the summer "pod" ;)

anyway so i dont want to touch the transfers atall other than matching them at the mo?

this is the side ive started so far
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats just the start tho :D

17. DYS VTR

DYS VTR New Member

Rides:
    skanky cRaKwhoR3s
    wish i left the piston now :( lol

18. nibbles

nibbles Active Member

ill tell u wat minor dave n shiny told me lol go deeper so the path to the transfers is shorter the deeper u go the shorter the path

19. reddwarf

reddwarf New Member

Just got to say HATS OFF to all you guys for having the balls to have
    ago youselfs ,This is one of the only sites that people do things and
    dont just ask . Its all highs and lows but when you do it yourself and
    it goes right Belive me it"s all worth it
    Going to be some good scoots at pod this year :D :D

20. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

looking good dys.

yeah should be a few good bikes at pod and also is the best way to learn