[POLL] Wouldn't it be nice to have...

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by RelentlessDan, Jul 16, 2011.

?

If it was available, would you buy it?!

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

recently, ive been debating whether i should chrome my tranny case.

then it struck me, wouldnt it be cool to have a clear tranny case, for show obviously. so i'm starting a little debate ;)

i know that to make it clear itd have to be made of acrylic, which could get too hot and melt along with other problems and therefore is not technically feasible, but if it was possible wouldnt it be cool? and im sure theres some way of getting around this..

but whilst looking smart, i guess your putting your aftermarket parts on show to theives..

so my question is, if it was available, would you buy it?

2. luke_2401

luke_2401 New Member

There would be something you could make it out of im sure.
    People use acrylic/perspex window on there cases so i cant actually see heat being that much of an issue :yahoo:

3. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

yeah, pretty sure its possible somehow...
    anyone fancy making one for me?! will pay! ;)

4. luke_2401

luke_2401 New Member

Anyone have access to a vacume form? :)

5. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

so i could plaster of paris the inside of my case, vacuum form over the mould, drill holes for bolts.. thats technically feasible right?

6. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    A good few years ago there was someone selling clear transmition cases , i cant remember for love nor money who or where it was , cant even find a pic of it online, but i know they have been done and can only imagine that the idea didn't take off too well. Would be different i suppose, cleaning would be very often though , but personally i'd preffer a clean brushed ally look.

7. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

i seriously want one. itd be so different. ive enquired into some plastic moulding companies but whether or not they can do it is yet to be discovered

8. UnluckyChris

UnluckyChris Member

It does sound like a cool idea. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine. On my Dragster I had it polished, but just found it a nghtmare to look after. Even with keeping it clean and frequent use of elbow grease it soon lost it's shine. Are they any easier to look after when they're chromed?

I'm mulling over whether I should powder coat it. There's no reason why you can't coat tranny cases is there?

Would be very interested to see if you do get anywhere with having clear ones made. I could have avoided sone catastrophic engine failures in the past if I could see in there too. Last year my oil pump came loose without my realising it til too late :-(

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

9. RelentlessDan

RelentlessDan New Member

tranny cases are already powder coated, just in black i believe, if its stock

polishing works but yeah, takes effort, laquering it would work though surely?

chroming is much easier to look after, MUCH. and much shinier.

and yeah, ive enquired, i want one to be made, then ill let you guys know.

10. Semtex

Semtex Member

Rides:
    2007 Sukida 49QT
    Get it chromed. Then get yourself a tin of "Peek"

Thats what the lorry boys use on their "polished" bits (Fuel tank etc)

11. ramo

ramo GoldMember

great idea but surely clear plastic couldnt take the heat of the engine in the long term? and for the kickstart only boys it would be as smart a piston made of swiss cheese surely?

12. luke_2401

luke_2401 New Member

You could make almost the entire front face of it for no trouble at all.... Looking at it though you would have to make a female mould from the origional and flawlessly cast it in clear resin (surfboard resin?) nice idea though :)