polini 175 vs malossi 172

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by monty9120, Dec 23, 2006.

1. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    what the difference between the 2.

i know the malossi one is faster but i heard the polini one cools better and it can be rebored to

is this true. i want to use my bike for a few long distance meets so i will go for a kit that is cooler and generally more reliable and lose a little speed.

is it right matching the polini 175 kit to a standard 180 kit

cheers

2. Rizla Rhys

Rizla Rhys New Member

polini one has a different inner lining i beleive and its made of iron lol

my m8 has one on his runner it seems ok but nothing special

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    main difference is the lining, where the malossi item is completly aliminum with a nicosil lining coated thinly onto iot the polini has an 8mm iron sleeve. this means the polini is harder wearing and can be rebored quite a few times. the port map on the polini is rather lazy tho and does need alot of work compaird to the malossi. also the polini needs welding sooner into grinding (the exhaust tract is fairly thin by comparesen) the good points about the polini item are the fact you can use a drop forged piston (harder basicly) rather than a soft cast item, this means its harder to melt holes in your piston and there better suited to forced induction and nitros oxide. malossi is better to bolt on really as theres more power top, polini kits usually make better torque and are desighned so you dont have to rev it like mad to get it moving. polini kit will obviously last longer as you can blow it up and rebore it many times (just need to find the right piston) where as the malossi item is prittymuch scrap if it goes bang. the cooling isnt really affected as the thermostat does all the work there, the polini kit being iron will store heat more sao will open the thermostat earlier buit it wont run any hotter than a malossi. this is a breif look into the diff barrels but like i say both have strong points aswell as bad and its all down to what you want from the bike.

4. gazell

gazell Active Member

fuck me lol...minor how comes u aint got your own scooter tuning shop..u seem to know everything about everything when it comes to scooters lol

5. rigas

rigas New Member

So the Malossi one is alloy and the Polini is steel.

If i want to rebuilt my engine for road use what u suggest to choose?

The alloy of Malossi is better in acceleration/HP's that the steel of the Polini?

6. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Malossi is near enough bullet proof and just about everyone tends to use them, though i heard the polini kit still has good torque.