Piaggio zip sp set up help please

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by jake tubby, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jake tubby

jake tubby New Member

Hi I have a piggio zip sp 2012 I have recently brought
    Am just wondering what the best set up for it is
    It has stage 6 pro replica pipe the chrome one
    Everything else is standard
    What size jet is best
    What size rollers are best
    Also anything else I should no please
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Jake

2. jake tubby

jake tubby New Member

Would like to add it currently has 5.5 gram rollers and a 68 jet but it takes forever to accelerate and it won't go up hills atall please help me

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The stage 6 pipe is a bit brutal and you have to be in the power band, or it's as flat as a witch's t*t - it's a bit of an 'All or nothing' pipe. You need to adjust the clutch springs or contra spring to give the transmission a chance to 'change down' and get you back into the powerband. Get the 2000rpm springs and contra spring, as the Stage 6 doesn't get going until well up in the rev range.

Is the 68 jest after re-jetting for the Stage 6 pipe? If that's the standard jet, you are running weak on the mixture. Get a jetting kit with a range of jet sizes and start at about 80 and work down, checking the plug colour after a full throttle run. Cut the throttle at full chat and see what colour the plug insulator is, you want a mid-brown 'ginger nut biscuit' colour to be about right.

Oh, and please don't spam the forum with "Help me!!" posts - one thread is enough.

4. jake tubby

jake tubby New Member

I've not touched the jet I left the bike as it is wen I brought it and the guy said it needs setting up to run properly
    Sorry about that
    Thanks for your advice

5. jake tubby

jake tubby New Member

So you think a 2000rpm clutch springs and contra spring will fix the acceleration and getting uphill problem ?

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yes, as the clutch contra spring will make the clutch pulley larger when you get to a hill and that gets you lower gearing and back into the power band - think of it like changing down from 5th to 4th or 3rd gear on a normal geared bike. You might get away with the 1500rpom set but it's your choice. If you can afford it, get the full sets of clutch and contra springs and play around with them, feel the differences and see what suits your riding style.

Definitely get the jetting kit, or you risk ruining your engine either through a hole in the piston or a seizure due to a weak mixture. Nakaru and Polini do some good kits with a range of jet sizes.