Piaggio Zip - Newbie Tune

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by derp, Mar 28, 2015.

1. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t
    Hi, Im a Newbie in tuning scooters.

I have a Stock 2013 Piaggio Zip 50 2t ( Stock exhaust - Carb - Air filter )

Previous owner got a dealer to De-restrict the scooter.

I have ordered
    - Yasuni Z Exhaust Sytem ( Restricted )
    - Dellorto Jets

Im keeping the 17.5mm Stock carb on the scooter with Brass plate. Im wondering if anyone can help me with what Jet to start off with? Currently its a 53 main jet and i bought a 50 - 70 Jet box so i should be able to get the bike running with the new exhaust.

Anyone got any tips what Main jet is a good starter?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

probably wont need to do anything until you de-restrict the pipe, then you can start playing with jets

3. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t
    Thanks for the reply.

After i put the pipe on yesterday it had less power than the Stock exhaust. So today we are removing both Restrictions.

What would you recommend changing the Main jet too? And should i remove the brass plate on the carb?

Thanks

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

leave the plate on the carb. Start with a 64 main jet. My own zips were great on a 62 with just a pipe fitted but 64 is a nice safe starting point to work from.

5. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t
    Thanks, Currently running it at 60 as that was my first guess before your post. It runs great but im wondering if i will gain anymore power from 62. Guess i have to try and find out

6. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

how did you get on

7. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t
    Sorry for the late reply.

I installed a 62 jet and it runs great. The 60 jet had slight boggin on cold days so 62 seems to work great all weather.

8. Riceye46

Riceye46 New Member

Hi iam quit new to scooters but I have a zip aswell and was told when I got my stage 6 pro rep exhaust to put a 62 jet in if the brass plate was in and if I took that out to put a 68 jet in there and I tryed both and I must say it was a bit better with the brass plate removed but I also changed my clutch springs to yellow polini ones and dropped my rollers to 5.0g hope this helps a little

derp likes this.
  9. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t

Recommend any Premixing Ratios?

10. Riceye46

Riceye46 New Member

I would do 33-1 witch is about 150ml to 4.5 litres
    But u should be fine with 5 litres
    Is there something wrong with your oil pump as u don't really need to pre mix unless u start fitting race parts 70 kit crank stuff like that but u can tune your oil pump to give more oil theres a video on YouTube on how todo it really easy but if u wanna pre mix go for it as long as u don't hove loads of oil coming out the exhaust and a oily plug u should be fine cheers

derp likes this.
  11. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t
    Well i dont know. Its a 2013 bike so fairly new. Ive got a problem on start ups where it stutters like mad on the take off then clears about 100 meters. Im thinking its a oil pump problem.

Every day i think about taking my exhaust off and turning the bike stock again.

12. Riceye46

Riceye46 New Member

Hi my bike is a 2013 model as well and does the same thing it's coz it's a 2stroke bike and has to warm up done it just coz the exhaust is bigger so has to warm up a little more

13. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

you running manual or auto choke as mine does not do this I am on a 85 jet with open filter

14. derp

derp Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2t

Ah well i was assuming its a problem. its been annoying. Not wanting to idle some times and having to hold the revs myself to get its going so it can idle. Its sometimes not wanted to start.

Bulliporker: Stock Auto Choke

15. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

I would bin the auto choke and fit a stage 6 cable and manual choke adapter I just use my choke to start it then knock it off straightaway soon as I have put my gloves and helmet on its ready no spluttering or missing whatsoever

16. Louis Stevens

Louis Stevens New Member

how fast does yours go because I have a stock air filter with 1 hole in it a75 jet and a yasuni z with 6.5g rollers and it only does 43