Piaggio Zip Air cooled 50cc (What is the premix)??

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Kyle Davies, May 10, 2017.

1. Kyle Davies

Kyle Davies New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 01 Plate
    I have a yasuni z exhaust for my bike and other than the jet and rollers its standard.
    My oil pump failed on me and i have a new cylinder kit on my bike and i was wondering what is the correct premix ratio for my bike and soon i wont to buy a polini sport 70cc and wanted to know what it will be then???
    Thanks

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    standard barrel 100ml oil to 5 litres of petrol

mid to high end 70cc kits 156ml -160ml to 5 litres of fuel

3. Kyle Davies

Kyle Davies New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 01 Plate
    cheers mate, would you say run it richer than 100ml or 100ml exactly?

i think the crank has been in since the bike first got on road would you say i would need a new one for a 70?
    Thanks in advance :)

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    if your willing to pay for a new crank its a worth while upgrade, stock cranks really wont take the extra power a 70cc kit can produce, yes a stock crank would do but its not going to last long at all in all fairness. so something like a stuffed crank / race crank would be 100% longer lasting due to the more meat they have .

oil wise on a stock do not go overly heavy on that premix, a autolube tends to give between 20ml and 25ml at a very maximum pre litre of fuel burnt so i would say 100ml or just over is ok, that a near on 50:1 ratio so should be fine.

your gonna want a bit more oil on a 70cc kit due to the bigger bore size meaning more capacity and thats also a lot more fuel and air so a 33:1 mix is around a good start so 156ml per 5 litres of fuel

5. Kyle Davies

Kyle Davies New Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 01 Plate
    Cheers mate , i think i'll get a new crank before a 70 but how much would somewhere charge to do it normally?

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

As an old codger I was trying to wade through all this Ml stuff lol
    I was going to suggest 33-1 and check the plug after a while. If it looks a bit sooty ease it off to 50-1 and check again.
    Good calculator here
    http://www.haniel.co.uk/fuelmixcalc.html

7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    its not cheap. the whole motor has to come out of the scooter, then its stripped down, ie carb- head- cylinder, its then split into two and the crank bearings are replaced and the crank seals, then the new crank is fitted and the motor is put back together.

in all honest opinions : if your still a youngun hold on till you hit 17, then you can ride a 125cc. a 70 kit is more for us guys that are tinkers and have a good knowledge of scoots and bikes because to be well looked after and treated right . only takes a small mistake like not putting the right amount of premix oil in or holding those horse open for to long and you can fry that 70cc big bore and end up having to replace it again.
    another point is legality , 16yrs old its ilegal and your riding what is classed as a motorbike due to its power output , if your in a serious accident and the police have your bike checked over they find that 70cc kit fitted, your going to be done for no insurance , and riding not in accordance to your licence, thats a 100% ban and a fine.

Now if your really wanting a 70 kit , you would have the 70cc bore kit fitted when you have the crank fitted, that way you save some money. price wise, lets say its £50 for a hour labour costs , dropping the motor, splitting it and shoving crank in lets say 5+hrs , thats around 300 quid , add in the cost of the crank lets say £80 , then the bearings and oil seals £25 , then the bigbore kit depending on what you choose £100 -£180 . your looking at in excess of 500+ pound

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    50:1 is more than the oil pump ever gave you, ive never had a problem and i premix all of my bikes eventually LOL have done for 20+ years at 50:1... any more on such a small engine really kills the power/leans out the mixture so you end up with a hot oily running engine producing less power. 20ml per litre, add the oil to the fuel tank first. i usually fill up 3 litres so found a 100ml bottle and put a sticker on the 60ml mark. you REALLY notice the drop when you underestimate how full the tank is and cant fit all the fuel in you calculated. as in, i drop 10mph and a whole load of revs on my ride home (20+ miles a day of fast roads on an iron 70)

as for the crank, ive never snapped a standard piaggio crank. the bearings or kit fail befor anything bad happens. you hear any nocking in the conrod. i replaced my crank for "peace of mind" in my 20+k engine... was absolutly fine when i removed it/wasted 100 quiid and a rushed late night rebuild. if it aint broke, dont fix it