Piaggio zip 50cc tuning

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Zip21, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Zip21

Zip21 New Member

Hi all any advice on what can be done if any to tune a piaggio zip 50cc 4T?

Thank you

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Derestrict it.

Zip21 likes this.
  3. Zip21

Zip21 New Member

Thanks MARSH, do you know where the CDI is located?

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Not to far from spark plug, depending on the year you might need to cut the cdi with hacksaw to derestrict it !

Zip21 likes this.
  5. Zip21

Zip21 New Member

Thank you its a 2021, its doing 50km/HR just need to see if I can get anything else out of it.

6. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

If it’s a 2021 I’d be cautious of what you do in case it invalidates any warranty. It’s doing 50kph because it’s restricted to 30mph for the uk market. They can be derestricted but I’ll be the dull one who tells you to check your laws. Are you old enough , on the right licence and insured properly to make it go faster. Derestricting turns it into a 50cc ped which you may not be lawfully allowed to ride - ergo, not insured and unable to claim if someone knocks you off. Personally I think 30mph is too slow and dangerous but the laws in place to give 16yr olds experience on the road so they don’t die too young.

Zip21 and MARSH like this.
  7. Zip21

Zip21 New Member

Hi Buzz, i will be Cautious because of warranty, totally understand about 16yr olds getting experience on roads that the restrictions are on them. I'm old enough to drive and have correct licence and insurance, just seen what can been done to this model to speed it up,

8. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

As previously mentioned, derestrict exhaust, open air filters, clutch springs and contra spring and variator rollers are your best quick mods. Derestrict cdi will open up your rev range and Google will give loads of tips if you hunt long enough. Replacing the cdi with a modded one means you can put the original back in if need be rather than cutting and resplicing wires.
    I'd focus on rollers and clutch then free flow exhaust.

Zip21 likes this.
  9. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    It must be the latest 3v injected model ? If so it's a main dealer job !

Zip21 likes this.
  10. Zip21

Zip21 New Member

Model ZIP 50 cc 4T 3V

11. Zip21

Zip21 New Member

Just added a malossi cdi to the moped I'm getting an extra 10km on Piaggio zip 3v iget, fuel injection. the take off is a bit slow thou takes a second or two to start moving followed all instructions to install so not sure what the problem is. Can anyone help?