Piaggio zip 50 to 125 coversion

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by 2T uk, Feb 11, 2020.

1. 2T uk

2T uk New Member

Hi new to this forum . Could any one show me pictures of how they converted their 50 frame to mount a 125 engine
    I haze a zip sp and lc typhoon small drum engine to go in with 125 loom also gets runner sp engine mount

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Hello greetings. Had a quick look but haven't managed to find any pictures so far. Have you looked on youtube? It's worth a try.

3. 2T uk

2T uk New Member

Hi mate thanks for the reply, yes have looked on YouTube and different forums on this website still cant seem to find no pics .

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You need an old 125 2t frame (typhoon, runner) for the silent block engine mount or make one up using box section steel.

5. 2T uk

2T uk New Member

Hi marsh thanks for reply mate . This is a mount that I have , can I add a silent block to this ?

Attached Files:

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Yes you can, you really need to see what the silent block setup looks like, the Italjet dragster 125 is so simple. A bit of box section and round tube round the silent block and sleave for center stand ! Don't forget the spring that hold's engine up, it hook's on the lug that sticks out on the mount pictured upto frame side .

7. 2T uk

2T uk New Member

Thanks for the reply marsh , found this would I be better off just getting this and putting it straight on ?

Attached Files:

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Why is this thread a pinned post?

9. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    That's what you don't want, that is std 50 mount, you can just cut the one pictured but it will vibrate terrible ! Everybody want's a zip, nrg, typhoon with a 172 engine but everybody sells them a week later cos there horrible to ride. If your going to do it why not do it right !

10. HrrShh

HrrShh New Member

I don't think they are horrible. I've put a 125 2t skipper engine in a zip. The power is amazing and I enjoy it much more than I would the previous 50 4t. It just bolted in, no modifications required. For the loom I connected the starter normal, then used 50 4t loom and connected one of the ac output wires from the engine to the ac input, the other one to ground. The green wire was connected to the green wire that goes to the 50 cdi unit. The 125 ignition circuit is separate so you just gotta connect the 4 wires to the cdi unit separetly. [​IMG]

11. Soze

Soze New Member

Can u go into more detail on how you did loom mate trying to convert my 50 loom to run 125 2t engine

12. TAJLN

TAJLN New Member

Different account ‍♂️: I used the provided diagram for 50 4t to figure what goes where. There are 3 groups of wires comming from the engine. I connected them to the responding wires on the loom/cdi

Lights and shutdown (3 wires)
    • Yellow - connected to the black wire i cut going to the old 50 4t ecu
    • Yellow - Brown wire (one of two) that was connected to the 50 4t engine
    • Green - green wire i cut going to the 50 4t ecu

Starter (2 wires)
    • Black - any good ground on the metal, i followed the previous wiring and used the screw that also grounds the loom at the back
    • Red - to starter relay
    Cdi (4 wires)
    1. Connect all of them to the cdi unit. There is colour written in italian on the cdi
    2. Cdi plugs into the second thing (don't know english expression, we say cinšpula)
    3. Cinšpula plugs onto the sparkplug

You can also connect the e-choke but i have a manual one. Other stuff stays the same. Zip 50 4T Fly 50 4T LX4 50 & Liberty 50 4T models.jpg

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The 125 skipper engines are great but vibrations are horrific fitted to the 50 mount !

14. TAJLN

TAJLN New Member

I use it for different stunts and short rides (<2h) and it doesn't seem to bother me. I only ever notice significant vibrations at specific low rpm when starting but other than that its okay

15. Soze

Soze New Member

So did you keep the 50 regulator on the bike ?

16. Soze

Soze New Member

Can Any one else do an in depth walk through of how make a 50cc 2t zip loom work with 125 charging system my engine is skipper 125 with 2 yellow and a green engine wire

17. TAJLN

TAJLN New Member

Yes, I kept the regulator. Check the specs in the provided file.

2t 50 output at idle is 25-30V
    2t 125 output at idle is 27-31V
    4t 50 output at idle is 25-35V

As you can see the 125 falls within 50 4t specs but i think you should have no issues with the 1V higher if you use 50 2t regulator.

Manual I used: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oKEAU5P23HqDXzk_2tW5ho_iSevTXZ-O/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  18. Soze

Soze New Member

Empty file mate , did you use 125 regulator at all

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  19. TAJLN

TAJLN New Member