piaggio zip 50 2t problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by topgear1, Sep 11, 2010.

1. topgear1

topgear1 New Member

ive changed the inlet manifold,air filter,changed the fuel tap as it was stuck on hope that hasn't messed up the carb would i be able to feel the for air leeks with the engine running

theres a bright blue spark when i hold the plug on the head and crank it over

2. topgear1

topgear1 New Member

when i cleaned the carb the clip came off the needle so i put it on the second notch,since then its been worse im unsure which notch to put it on

3. bertie

bertie Active Member

Rides:
    '93 Skipper LX125
    Just try putting it on different notch's, try the top notch first, then work down.. You cannot really "feel" air leaks, you can spray WD-40 around the intake manifold then look for bubbles when the engines running.. But personally I'd take it off and inspect under some decent light for any cracks & splits.

You could try upjetting, to try and diagnose the problem. If the problem clears up with a larger mainjet, then you have an air leak somewhere.

4. topgear1

topgear1 New Member

i have noticed when u first start the bike from cold it will rev up for a few seconds and then do what its been doing so maybe its the choke,ive bourght a second hand carb off a running 05 zip with the choke so im hopeing that might work.

5. topgear1

topgear1 New Member

changed the carb over today works upto like 35mph then is doing the same so i dont think its a carb problem,could it be a throtle cable or ignition fault if anybodys interested ive put it for sale on ebay had enough now

6. leoneang

leoneang New Member

My Zip is doing the same thing. Had it in to a local guy who repairs scooters. He has done all the things mentioned in this thread and more. Still he is baffeled by the problem. On my machine, it got to the point where any application of the throttle killed it. He found by accident if we leave the air filter off, it runs ok until about half throttle then at max begins to die again. I was wondering if this problem was ever resolved?