Piaggio Zip 50 2T decarbonisation

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Saracen, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Saracen

Saracen Member

Morning, I've not carried out a decoke before and as the engine is out and there is about 10k miles on the clock I thought it would be a good opportunity. There's plenty of good advice online but my query is whether to fit a head gasket once cleaned. My Haynes manual says no need but I was wondering if anyone has experience and could pass on any useful advice.
    I am also going to fit a new standard exhaust and I will remove the restrictor tube so I got to thinking if the exhaust change could cause problems elsewhere eg. additional carb tweaks etc.?
    Any guidance appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Always replace the head gasket. I know its metal but for a couple of quid just replace it.
    Exhaust - removing the restrictor ring will allow the gases to get out quicker, therefore requiring an equal change in fuel input, nothing major, maybe a couple of sizes bigger on the main jet, but try it first.

3. Saracen

Saracen Member

Cheers Steve, I'll fit the gasket. Ordered one with the new exhaust, as you said it seems strange being metal.
    Regarding the new exhaust I am hoping that may improve things as the uphill pulling power has not been too good. Also, to confirm that my Zip has had very little servicing, the original exhaust was completely knackered, no exhaust gasket fitted and every bolt was a fight. I'll use plenty of copper grease for reassembly.