Piaggio Zip 4T 50cc (2018) kick start add on..?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Laurence Smith, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Laurence Smith

Laurence Smith New Member

Hi, is it possible to add a kickstart to my Piaggio, it doesn’t have any clear compartments for the Kickstarter that I can see - and I know for a fact that they don’t come with them anymore... all I really want it for is when I suspect the battery is playing up and it won’t start (like now and I get stranded at my work at about 11 pm and have to pay £30 for a taxi )
    Rather than going into detail on why it isn’t starting (I am already installing a new spark plug air filter etc etc) I would really be interested if I could add a kickstart on the bike to save me in emergencies... rather than coming back another day and recharging the battery etc etc,

It would be much appreciated for any responses, ideas or hopefully guides -
    Many Thanks
    Laurence

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

See what other 50cc 4t piaggios there are.
    I had a vx125 with a kick-start.

3. Laurence Smith

ive already bought it and had it for about 3 months - I think that it is possible to have a kick start but without full disassembling the bike and seeing if it just needs the actual kick start or all the cogs and gears etc etc -

Wondering if anyone had any ideas on this, I don’t have an awful lot of time with work and college almost every day
    Many thanks for the reply

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah I mean you need the whole belt cover casing thing from another 4t piaggio engine.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  5. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

6. Laurence Smith

Ohhhh okay, and mine is exactly that yea, now thinking about it it also has a little cover on what would be that hole on the left... guessing now that’s where the kick start is intended... how come it would be necessary to buy a new cover is mine is the exact same? It is literally the Exact same... does that one in the image have the kickstart cogs or something that my Piaggio doesn’t?

Thanks,
    Laurence

7. Laurence Smith

on an edit where would it be possible to obtain that crank or gear that is needed, or is it in the bike already? Essentially if I take that cover off there going to the belt (correct me if I’m wrong here ) and i need to add the kickstart gear and the actual kickstart?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  8. Rickard Pingol

If it's just a removable plug. It's most certainly for the kick. And if a kick axel sticking out. Probably the whole kick arrangement is still left. In you case yiu can buy complete aftermarket kits. But the specs are a bit fussy. And you don't want to waste money,buying the wrong one. Still they cost around 50gbp."not shipping incl" If you buy original it's even price-ier. If you are sure it's just the battery maybe it's just easier to buy a new battery. It will last a few years. And it's only 20 gbp

9. Rickard Pingol

The first link i gave you missed the kick thingy. This looks complete. And its from a 4 stroke. So it shoud fit. Looks dirty but its cheap. You just need to ad the engage washer or what its called to the crank, if you settle for this ask the seller if he maybe has one laying around. I dont kmow where you live, but by your name i guess in the uk. Then shipping should be reasonable https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113841003790

10. Laurence Smith

11. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Considering the complexity of what your asking - engine swap/maybe ??.

12. Laurence Smith

I mean it would be the option but from what I’ve gathered it’s a case of removing the outer casing, installing a small cog, large cog that the kickstart mounts to that also turns the small cog (which then turns the drive chain), with the kickstart attached to the larger cog.
    Only done this from looking at kits and YouTube videos on like clutch upgrades etc and from the help from everyone on here - but please if I have misunderstood anything please flag it.
    More on the installation of the kickstart wondering if anybody knew if the newer models actually have the facilities to accommodate the Kickstarter kits I’ve been looking at (I’ll drop a link in as an example) - or if I’m having a blonde moment and it’s a replacement for the older models etc etc

just wondering if anyone new or at least knew if there are or were any slots for the kickstart kit to attach to or if I’m majorly overthinking this

13. Laurence Smith

14. Laurence Smith

I’ve also heard this is a nessicary part - if anyone could shine any light

Attached Files:

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah looks like that clip thing is missing from the kit.

16. Rickard Pingol

Sry for not replying fed up with work and kids. Yes good one that you noticed that you need that steel wire thingy. It's a little hard to explain but it's easy to understamd how it all come together ones you put things in places. I'll try to explain. Screenshot_20200115-032831_Keep Notes.jpg Screenshot_20200115-032804_Keep Notes.jpg
    As you can see on my finger drawn picturs :)
    1. Pic is in resting position. 2. Is when kicking. Then that thingy both twists, and is push towards the crank. "Thanks to the angled cogs on the dish, and other thingy :)" Where it's cogs/teeth engages/connects into the washer. It subsequently spins the crank. If you have extra hands its a bit easier. Assembly can be a little bloody knuckle work, and that extra wire part. Just holds the engager-part in place. It's a slightly genius construction easy to understand ones you have it in front of you. But a mess to explain without confusing the listener. If you have questions. Just get back at us.
    Do you have any tool to lock the variator?