Piaggio Zip 4 stroke tuning help !

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by TeZ258, May 13, 2009.

1. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    Hi im new here and just want a few tips on tuning my '07 Piaggio Zip 4 Stroke.

So far ive derestricted it and up jetted the carb.

I want to know if a Malossi 80cc kit would work with my current setup and when MOT time comes would it effect my MOT?

I would also like to know what rollers and what clutch spring i should buy. I want the scooter to be able to keep its top speed(about 40ish) up hills as i live in a very hilly area.

And i know 4 strokes are very slow but i just cant afford a new bike at the moment as im only 16.

Thanks,
    Tez :D

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    baaaaaahaahhahahahaahah these are the WORST bikes...

honestly.. by the time youve got the kit a pipe a decent size carb, new variator, cam and clutch you could have bought another zip 2 stroke and tunned it WAY beyond this one.

honestly, dont waste your time. its a shit engine, it will always be a shit engine.

3. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    got to agree with Minor....tuning a small 4 stroke is like trying to polish a turd

not even worth considering. Better off throwing a bigger lump in there. My sons friend used a 200cc in his instead of trying to tune the original....that certainly made it faster until some cow t boned him

4. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    I already knew it was slow but what roller weights and clutch spring would i need to make it faster as i really like my bike, it would just do with a bit more speed.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    it
    wont
    go
    faster

you need to gain more air/fuel into the cylinder.. this doesent mean a filter as the max power crowd assume. it means easier flow into the engine by enlarging componants and retiming the engines breathing pattern ie sucking more mix harder and longer than stock..
    ways of doing this are

induction (carb, duration on the cam, valve size, inlet tract/port diameter)

exhaust (selecting correct diameter exit for the valve size and pumping potential, exhaust port)

so to sum it up no, clutch springs will get it off the line a bit quicker, but rollers wont really do fuck all to your top end unless there wrong, the correct weight rollers will be the fastest accelerating wiht the best top end. wich is what your engine should have, if not then yes it can be made slightly faster, but dont get your hopes up and dont just slam a filter on there.. total waste of time tbh. well, untill you have a few more mods, like an exhaust atleast
    head volume an shape comes into play also. especially when changing duration and feed volume as compression is pritty vital.

this is a mear skim on tunning 4t's.. alot more can be had from balancing and lightening components (somtimes increasing weight) but thats an entirely different aspect to tunning. correcting and imporving on a desighn not altering from it.
    bottom end = strength and ability to reach as high an rpm as possible happily
    top end=power

6. TeZ258

TeZ258 Member

Rides:
    Speedfight 50cc
    Well if i bought a 2 stroke zip engine could it be fitted as i dont wanna have to sell the bike .

7. sam7986

sam7986 New Member

if you modify the engine mounts i think but i doubt it wil just slot in

8. CheekyThomas

CheekyThomas New Member

The new 4 valve 50cc 4stroke isnt a bad engine... proper revvy little begger!

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye, as a stock engine, the sheer size of the casting and format of the engine isnt really the most prommising tho, nore is the aftermarket parts avalability..

great if your leavving it alone, poo to tune... well going by the above anyway.

10. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Im not getting involved in this 4T conversation as all has been said by Minor but when you say it`s been derestricted and then say it`s doing 40mph methinks it still might be held back by something.
    Piaggio 4 bangers can be restricted by the CDI (on some models) and am not sure if something as late as an 07 would be held back this way but I have specs from Piaggio on how to derestrict the 4 pot cdi`s (and no I am not putting this info on the forum or by PM) but am suggesting it might still be restricted.
    Look at the CDI for ANY sign of modification (cuts or holes filled with silicon etc) and if you find any evidence of this chances are someone has done it (if they got it wrong your scoot wouldnt run full stop).
    If its pristine and untouched chances are it`s still restricted or a non-restricted CDI in which case you wont find any more speed there.

Edit noticed you say you de-rissed it, probably missed out the CDI as part of the process then.Above still stands.

11. bradallen1126

bradallen1126 New Member

Rides:
    Zip 4T 50cc 53mph
    dude where did you get the jet from its a 78 jet right ?

12. bradallen1126

bradallen1126 New Member

Rides:
    Zip 4T 50cc 53mph
    I've derestricted my zip same engine on an 08 plate and i've had 53 out of it and beat a few two strokes admittedly acceleration isn't amazing but it does the job for me does anyone one know where i can get a 78 jet for the carb ?

13. sammyboi

sammyboi New Member

Rides:
    gilera runner
    2stroke is the way forward!