PIAGGIO zip 125 running problem

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by satts, Aug 17, 2016.

1. satts

satts New Member

Hi all,

I am having an issue getting a Piaggio 125 Zip to run properly. The bike had been previously unused in a garage for some years prior to my ownership. I have stripped and cleaned the carb (a Walbro) and cleaned
    all the jets etc. The bike starts and runs OK on the stand but cuts out when the throttle is twisted more than a 1/4. The carb is secured correctly I believe with no air leaks. The only part of the carb I couldn't clean was the float needle seat as this appeared to be pressed in place and wouldn't come out. Please excuse any grammatical errors this was typed.on a mobile phone. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Its got the leader engine in it, have you changed the air filter for anything other than standard?

3. satts

satts New Member

No. Air filter not.connected at moment as I'm only running it up testing not actually riding it. Thanks for your reply.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Got to have the air filter on, otherwise it'll do exactly what it's doing.

5. satts

satts New Member

It does the same whatever. It just burbles a.bit more without the filter in. Whenever you pull the.throttle back it just bogs down and dies off.....is it worth buying new jets etc??

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Standard jet in the Walbro carb is 108.
    Use a clean rag to partially block off the air intake on the carb and see if it picks up.
    If it does then either look at the air filter that's fitted, or the main jet size.
    What exhaust is on it?

7. satts

satts New Member

Its all standard. I pulled the carb off and found the main jet blocked again. Not the 108 jet itself but the nozzle it screws into. Do you know what this part is called as I think it needs replacing? It is a long dome shaped jet about an inch or so with lots of tiny spray holes in the sides and a larger centre bore hole. I cannot find it as a separate part anywhere.Thanks.

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That's called the emulsion tube.
    It's the part where the slide needle moves up and down in.
    It can be replaced but is hard to find.
    But you shouldn't need to replace it.
    If it keeps getting blocked up with crap, then you have a lot of dirt getting in the from the fuel system or air system.
    The only sure way is to strip absolutely everything out the bike, air and fuel wise, and thoroughly clean them, replacing everything that even remotely looks like its breaking down.

9. satts

satts New Member

Ah okay. In that case the part of the carb I couldn't remove was the float needle seat. It looked like it was pressed in and I didn't want to damage it. On other bikes I have had this seat was also a gauze filter and could be removed for cleaning?