Piaggio X9 500 evo help.......

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by PAUL 123, Nov 15, 2016.

1. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

Hi,
    I just got myself an X9 500 evo..2005 with only 8,000 miles :) Hopefully when the new battery is fitted it will spring into life !
    It's been stored outside all it's life and not ridden since 2011 so the aesthetics aren't quite in keeping with the mileage but with a bit of plastic polishing/re-blacking etc it should come up brill, there doesn't seem to be much corrosion anywhere !

Does anyone know if the seat from the 125cc, 250cc, evo's are the same as the 500??? the seat is the worst bit and totally weather worn (cracked etc) and don't really want to pay £70 to have it recovered when there are plenty around in good nik.

cheers for any info at all on these machines.

2. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

yep cheers,the earlier ones look a bit different but going to try one off a 125 on saturday....not had it started yet...haha.

3. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

Battery fitted, wouldnt start, so I took a look on line and found out that the keys needed re coding, so followed the instructions and 10 minutes later after trying to start it fruitlessly.....I pulled the break in and lifted the sidestand........started straight away after that ;-)

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you can bypass the side stand switch ( but it may fail an mot if its bypassed, im not to sure on the stance with stand stwitch bypasses).
    so it will fire even with the side stand down ;).

on the side stand theres a switch unit and some wires ( two or three) what you need to do is remove those wires from the plug and connect them together, usually a pos and neg, and with a three wire two pos and one neg, just tie them all together and the side stand switch is bypassed.

if your ever finding that sidestand switch is playing up its a simple bypass till you can get/source a new switch to replace the knackered one.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    PAUL 123 likes this.
  5. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

thanks for that info....it was more down to me not understanding that I had to pull on a brake lever with the side stand up for it to start......proper numb nuts coming from big bikes and forgetting the scooter starting procedures.....
    The centre stand has seized semi-solid, so the first job is to remove that and get it going again, other issues are that the front and rear lights are not working but the brake lights and indicators are working fine?? Very impressed so far as I expected the ignition codes were lost and I was going to have to turn it into a rat bike/scoot....amazing what you can get for £350 !

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yes i grabed my Pedro aka sym jet basix 2006 for £220 with near on a full year ticket, mind you it now stands me into £650 quid. its just blown a huge sink hole in my exhaust so that was a £109 replacement bill.

you will soon get used to hauling that rear brake in lol as for the side stand, shoot it with a bit of wd40 or better still some GT85 lube
    being in the place they are they become crap magnets get sticky or just dont wanna play ball, so before decamping it and then sourcing new bits try that for a quick fix ;)

lights check all connections / connector blocks pull em apart check for greening over and they seating propper also trace the headlight loom to the headlight controller relay ( if ones fitted) if not trace it to the regulator rectifier and check the connections as above.

250 Evo looks to run the same seat unit as the 500 Evo

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  7. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

Thanks for all the info , going to take a proper look at things in the morning, think you are right about the seat and the side stand but the electric centre stand is going to have to be removed as I'm thinking it has corroded into the upright position over the 5 years it has been unmoved outside?

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    grab a mirror and a good torch and have a gander under that scoot buddy, maybe lucky and a bit of GT85/wd40 could free it up , maybe need to treat it a few times so the lube works its way in and starts to do its wonder work. but saves you the decamp of the center stand then having to refit it once its been freed up ;)

your welcome on the info/advice thats what us bikers do , always willing to help a fellow biker be it roadside or internet side

9. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

Ok, mostly all prob's either solved or remedied today........

I had the engine light coming on when I revved the engine then it vanished when on tick over.... = defective regulator, ordered one from ebay for the princely sum of £28.
    Sourced another seat in excellent condition and an original top box with back rest for £60 for both.

Im guessing that the front and rear lights that arent working are something to do with the bad regulator that has probably blown the main light relays behind the front panel (probably why it has sat unused for 5 years!!) so will wait for the new regulator to arrive and in the meantime get a couple of new relays to fit.

I have decided to remove the centre stand assembly and give it a good re-grease and fettle, its obviously stopped working for a reason but even if it is a blown fuse/relay/limit switch, it will be a good idea to service it all properly.

10. PAUL 123

PAUL 123 New Member

Hi, first thing I checked was the bulbs, the regulator is a common prob on the X9 and the warning sign is the engine light comes on when the engine is revved as it did on mine...this means the battery is over charging so checked the charge going in with a multimeter and it is charging at 17 volts which is much too high and will fry the battery which in turn will fry relays etc.....cheap fix tho :)

11. sean178

sean178 Active Member

I feel your pain buddy. I bought myself a little scooter a couple of weeks ago and just thought the starter didn't work until tonight. I finally got round to charging the battery but still couldn't get it to turn over until i grabbed a brake lever ... Glad it's not just me that didn't know that one, I've been kicking the bloody thing all this time !!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

12. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Do you the oil/belt/service symbols come up on the dash?