Piaggio Typhoon upgrade mod with SR,Runner and NRG parts

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GeorGE Black Rider, Jul 27, 2016.

1. GeorGE Black Rider

GeorGE Black Rider Member

Good.May it have 3 terminals but only has bulb or wiring for 1 beam ?
    Also,as i don't have long beam and i want it (and video's suggest even NRG has 1 beam) could i put SR loom on it ?

Scubabiker,i follow you and understand you but in this video you can see it ilumnated decently wide and preety long.What kit did you use ? Do you have a link or photo ?

Maybe use SR projectors plus standard light with LED conversion ? Use SR projectors + NRG ones (that seem to light wider but closer,like shown here)

What do you suggest to get a width and lenght like the one here at 10:20 (phase 3) ?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

3. GeorGE Black Rider

Yes,the handlebar masc does indeed have a blank (filed) space for another button (see picture) above the electric start button (right) but the headlight button is a simple on/off switch for short beam (button on the left above yellow one).
    So the headlight MIGHT be made with 2 beams allready (as do the sockets) but the button isn't.Got it.
    Still,the light is candle level and even if i convert them to LED i won't get their full potential (i want 3000+ lumens),as the reflector is only made for 1 source of light.
    Beside,i want to change my engine,to the Hi-Per 2 mounted in Runner (as they only put LC in Runner) but my loom is made for AC one.
    Can i run another wire for the termometer directly or i have to mount it to the loom ?

That's why i want to use the SR projectors with LED,as it seem to iluminate decently wide and preety far .
    My question is if i can set both projectors to have short and long beam or at least both to have short beam,even if only 1 has high beam.
    Like you can see in the above video,they both light up on high beam,so the task is only to make the one that has long beam to also turn on as low beam.

As i understand,it is possible,but the question is HOW ? A simple swap of the bulb would be enough ?

What lights do you reffer to ? Ones from SR projectors,NRG projectors or bycicle headlight ones ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

sounds best to just get a new loom in all fairness, get one from a 125 LC bike and you will have all you need:
    thermometer wire both on engine and dash parts.
    high/low beam seperate connectors for lights
    high/low beam seperate connectors for switches

normally projector lights are in a unit with a normal light, so one is high and one is low if you follow? like a speedfight.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

But he doesn't want that setup! He wants both beams to have both high and low settings, which he can't have unless both bulbs and holders have 3 pins. Speed fight lights, as you say scuba, have one high and one low.
    If he takes 2 sets of lights, with at least one bulb that has 3 pins, butchers them to fit whatever housing he chooses, then he can
    create A light with both high and low on both bulbs. Its then just a simple matter of extending the wiring from one bulb to the other to the same terminals.

6. GeorGE Black Rider

I would accept even only 1 to have long beam (the original made for it) as i use them very rare,as long as both projectors have short beam.So both to light on short and when i switch on the long beam the projector on the right activates the long beam also.
    Do you understand me ?

Also,as i wanted to help you,i've searched for a picture of the back of the light.Here it is http://www.scooter-center.com/product/821271/Headlight+OEM+QUALITY+Aprilia+SR+since+1998?lang=en .
    Can it be done ?

Also the finances are very limited,that is why i would like to keep the loom if possible,as i stll have to get an exchange engine-transmission,30cm wheels,headlight and fork.
    If we're on the subject,can i put runner front wheel on the nrg fork (or is there another one that will fit typhoon) ?

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Nope, can't be done with those lights, they are only 2 pin, fixed beams.
    What you need for a two beam setup is two of the left hand light of this:

[​IMG]

8. GeorGE Black Rider

Can't i modify one on the right to have 2 beams ?
    From what model is this headlight ? Are they projectors ? Why is the difference in lenght between the 2 ?
    Also,the one on the right look to have 3 termnals,not on the left.
    If i have 2 of this (projectors?) with 3 terminals,can i make them both have short and long beam and don't modify the loom ?

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Quite right, it is the one on the right.
    Don't get excited.......if you look on that thing called the internet you can find all kinds of information.
    You should try it.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  10. GeorGE Black Rider

Belive me,i've searched the internet and they're no trace of anything close to what i want to do.The closest thing was SR owners asking how to make both lights work at the same time (not mattering they are 1 for short and 1 for long beam) the response beeing "put the switch in the middle".
    I've searched and helped you with everything i could,unasked.
    That's why i asked here.If you're fed up answering,say so.

Back to the bussiness.
    I also see that the terminals are on BULB.So,Couldn't it be the same on the SR projectors ?
    I see that the one on the left if reflector stile,is the one on the right projector ?
    Is this your headlight,or ?

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It's an image that I found on the net, they're all over the place.
    It's called a doing a search for twin scooter headlights, then click on images in google and presto! Friggin' thousands.
    You say you can do the bodywork to fit a new headlight setup, buy two sets, do your mods, job done.
    Where's the problem?

12. GeorGE Black Rider

Well i can,but i would prefer to mount 2 projectors with both beams (or at least 1 with high beam) into the body of my stock headlight.
    That's why i chose the SR projector as i've found a video with a set using LED's.
    Ultimately i would buy 2 sets (hopefully they aren't too expensive) but i would prefer 1 set with at least 1 projector having both beams.
    So if you know any scooter with this configuration,please tell me about them.

You dodged 1 question : I also see that the terminals are on BULB.So,Couldn't it be the same on the SR projectors ?

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I dodged nothing, the terminals are on the holder, not the bulb.
    I've no idea about the sr projectors

14. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    You know , most people gain this knowledge through personal experience and trial and error procedures , I've been reading your posts for a little while now , seems to me like you want someone to write you a shopping list , draw a picture of wat to do and talk through step by step . It doesn't work like that when modifying something to an image in your head . Buy some projectors off eBay , a clear headlamp from a late typhoon and go from there , it's 3 wires and your imagination . I don't mean to sound negative but it's your bike and your idea , only you can achieve it . God knows how many times I've cocked up by learning to port barrels and flow cases , moulding and fibreglassing panels , setting up carbs and even making my own subframe for the arse end conversions on my bigger bikes , but I learned from my mistakes. Every day is a school day George

15. GeorGE Black Rider

I don't need a shopping list nor a drawing,i just need the name of a firm and model with the projectors headlight i need.
    A little help with the connects of the projectors won't be bad,but i guess people here aren't that sharing.

Thanks for anything you've told me guys.

P.S. Anyone know if the runner front wheel fits in the NRG MK 2 fork (as i've heard Runner fork is shorter than typhoon one) ? It not,in wich does it ?

16. GeorGE Black Rider

Come on guys,tomorow is my Birthday and i finally wanna start work on it.
    Anyone know if the runner front wheel fits in the NRG MK 2 fork (as i've heard Runner fork is shorter than typhoon one) ?
    In wich forks does the wheel work and suit a Typhoon ?

17. SandStorm

SandStorm Member

Happy birthdayyyyyyyy!
    I think so. Measure the distance between each fork wheel fitment.

Sent from my Sony Xperia M2, bishes!

18. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    It's not that people don't want to tell you , it's not some sort of closely guarded secret . Clearly nobody has no previous experience on the subject therefore nothing to say , connection is easy , like I said, 3 wires , at worst you'll blow a fuse or bulb getting it wrong. You need a headlamp assy in place before thinking of wiring anyway , Have you looked at early zip sp headlight assy ?

19. GeorGE Black Rider

Thank you very much :D

The last time i reffered to the fork question :p and people surely know that as it's a common modification :D .
    I have the stock headlight,like you've seen.You mean another one to work with so i don't destroy the stock one ?
    Zip have a very different,smaller headlight with that protudence and mounted on the handlebar.Why did you mention it :D ?

20. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    image.png Early zip MK1 sp headlight