Piaggio skipper starting issues

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by baileywhite, Aug 8, 2018.

1. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

Hi all
    Bike sometimes struggles to turn over after being left overnight
    Sometimes when I hit the starter button it just goes dead. But does start after a few attempts
    I’m thinking possibly my earth wires might need a clean. Or something along those lines
    Battery is sitting at 60% charge atm.
    Just wondeing if anyone else had a similar issue and could point me in the direction. So I don’t have to pull all the panels off

Thanks in advance

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Charge the battery up to 100% then try it.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Sounds like you may have a battery drain or its not fully charging. Fully charge the battery as suggested then check its charge the following day. If the battery isn't fully charging then replace it or check the acid levels if its not sealed. If it charges but has a slow drain then it's time to check all wires for corrosion or shorts.

4. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

Yer I did that. And today it’s 60% again
    I’m gurssing that’s normal causecwhen the battery was new it would sit between 60-70%

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

When it struggles to turn over then does it sound like the power is low or is it spinning up nicely but not firing well? When you say that it "sometimes just goes dead then after a few attempts it starts" then do you mean it drains the power down or the switch doesn't work?
    Put a multimeter across the battery and see what the voltage does when trying to start. It should read 12.5v to 13.5v before and then not drop below 10.5v. If it does then you have a drain on the battery that's stopping it having enough power to fire. Could be an earth or a corroded/rubbed wire sleeve touching the frame.
    If the battery is all good but the switch is sometimes dead then remove and clean the switch then trace the ignition system wires and look for damage or corrosion.
    Have you tried jump starting from a car battery? If it fires up well then your own battery is poor.

6. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

The power drops and doesn’t turn over.
    Which is making think earth or dodgy wire.
    I k ow I’ve got to strip it to investigate

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar issue and point me to a common rusty earth connection or rubbing wire so I don’t have to strip all the plastics off

7. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

I get a multi meter on the battery see what that says

8. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

There are no common erosion points really. Use Google enough and you'll soon see that it could be anywhere from the battery earth to a frayed headlight wire, no simple find.
    I would start at the battery, trace the black lead to the frame or engine and clean it. Trace the red lead to the ignition solenoid and clean the connections.
    Next find the starter motor earth and clean that.
    Once done then clean every wire connection fixed to a frame bolt or engine bolt as these will be earth wires.
    Next check wire connections at lights, ignition, indicators.
    Next look at all wires focussing on rub points where wires bend or touch the frame.
    My first check would be the multimeter on the battery. Take a reading while its being turned over and look at voltage drop then idle at 3000 rpm and look at charging voltage.
    Second I would borrow a mates battery and see if it holds charge for a few days. If it loses voltage then the bikes draining power.
    If mates battery stays strong then buy a new battery.

9. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

Ok so I’ve had a little look and I’ve seen the battery overflow pipe has cracked and looks like there maybe some corrosion on the starter motor power supply
    I’ve moved the starter wire the tiniest bit and it seems to be a lot better.
    So maybe I’ve found the issue.
    Hard to tell cause can’t see all of the wire until I strip it down abit.