Piaggio skipper st125cc

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Michael Johnston, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston New Member

Hi I have had this bike a few months and the battery and fuel gauge never worked (battery would be all the way down fuel would be as far around as it would go) so at the weekend I had a play about checking the fuses and when I remove 1 fuse it turns off the lowbeam indicator light on the dash the battery indicator then displays the correct voltage and the fuel gauge goes right to the bottom. I'm guessing something is shorting it but I can't think what.

To top that off for the last 2 days my indicators only work if the bike is either not running or at a standstill with the engine barely running.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Check for corrosion on the plug terminals on the back of the clocks and also the earth points on the frame and engine

MARSH likes this.
  3. Michael Johnston

From what I have been told these skipper clocks are notorious as they have the circuit printed on a thin plastic sheet which rips easily but I have checked the points where power enters them to where it hits the lights and gauges and there is continuity.

I thinking your second suggestion could be closer to the issue.

At present when I turn the key nothing comes on but if I take it off the stand or bump it up and down the lights come on and I can start it. Before I start it the indicators work but as soon as the engine is running the indicators stop working and the low beam indication light flickers all the time this doesn't affect the actual light or the high beam. If the weather is dry at the weekend I will have to strip the fairing off and have a look into it.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Check the earth strap, engine to frame L/H side and as Stevep said bad connections. And yes the Piaggio clocks are shite for corrosion.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Runners were the same

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

And Vespas...

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

And.... I could keep going..... I won't...

8. Michael Johnston

Hi I'm off for 4 days so will check it out tomorrow it's weird and intermittent. At first I was suspecting the relays as there is a bit of corrosion on those and they click whenever it comes back on and of course because the indicators stopped working at the same time this issue started.

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Isn't there a thing about the indicators being part of the CDI and being a diagnostic thing?

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I think the indicators are incorporated into the reg/rec

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm pretty sure it's only 50's in the reg/rec, 125's have a relay for indicators ! I'll look in my book.

12. Michael Johnston

I used a multi meter yesterday and had no response from the relays when the inductors were turned on but I did with the high and low beam and the starter motor so its possible I need a new rectifier by the looks of it

13. Michael Johnston

This is what I have got in there. Could this issue be a faulty immobiliser or a loose fitting in the ignition

Attached Files:

14. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    That's only for running, ignition etc, lights should work without it even plugged in !

15. Michael Johnston

Yeah they do I was only testing voltage and Continuity I'm gonna have a look at that cdi box now

16. Michael Johnston

Lights do work all the time it's just my indicators that don't. For example now I turned the key to start. Indicators work and no flickering on the instriment panel but as soon as I start it up the indicators stop working not just on the instriment panel but completly stop working and the rest of the lights on the panel flicker continuously

17. Michael Johnston

According to a part item search that box is a immobiliser by pass unit but it has no wires from the indicator going into it. Now the ped needs bumped up and down before lights come on for it to start. It must be something loose somewhere

18. Michael Johnston

Interesting development things were looking OK after stripping faring off noticed ig ution coil was only cable tied on so flapping about. Bolted it back in place and lights ran started it up and indicators ran fine while running. Stopped it then had a look at the condition of the of some of the wires now it wouldn't start and upon checking the battery it was down to 5.7 volts so something I wiggled shorted and drained the battery I'm guessing the same thing that's flickering my lights a d stopping the indicators working

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Stator wiring

20. Michael Johnston

Could be as I wiggled a bit of wiring about yesterday an although I haven't yet been out on it due to lockdown everything seems to be running well just now I have no flashing main beam indicator light and my indicators work while the engine is running