piaggio skipper 150 2t losing top speed

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by kiwiscoot, Feb 28, 2021.

1. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

hi guys my skipper will lose power after 80kms, heaps of power and smooth acceleration till I get there but as soon as I get up to 80 odd I drops off suddenly like it's running out of fuel? or the belt is slipping, so far I have put on a technigas exaust and malossi multivar.
    any advice much appreciated please

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Try the std exhaust back on it. I wouldn't waste money on the mutivar, std works fine with a good roller set up.

kiwiscoot likes this.
  3. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

cool will give it a shot, yeah I was recommended a multivar by the only scooter shop that does upgrades in nz and reckon I was up sold!

4. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

tried original exhaust and original variator, no change, have ordered a new belt and will strip carby down, it feels like the bike cuts off at 100 and will pick back up at 80kph.. so strange

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Are you using std airbox ? Have a look at size of main jet, it should be a 82.5 ? I run between 84-86 here in the UK on a 150cc !

6. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

yeah I've got an 85 in there, cheers

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Is it fuel injection or carb’? Similar symptoms to when the petcock isn’t feeding enough fuel through at high speed so carb’ effectively runs dry, loses power until sufficient fuel is supplied. Blow fuel lines through, check vacuum hoses and maybe get an upgraded fuel petcock. I don’t know your fuel delivery system on that ped though

kiwiscoot likes this.
  8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Ped ? It's a 150 so it's a scooter !

kiwiscoot likes this.
  9. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Semantics, 150cc is just a grown up ped I apologise for hurting your pride, yes you have a scooter not a moped.

kiwiscoot and MARSH like this.
  10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I had a "ped" at 16 in 81', A Honda ss 50, never have liked the word ped ! cheers.

11. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Classic bikes, my mate had a fizzy but I made the mistake of waiting for my car licence, lesson learned, both my lads got scooters on their 16th birthdays. Soon had to learn how to repair them though

12. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

cheers man, it's a vaccum petcock, I pulled it and checked the filter which wasn't dirty and reinstalled it with new fuel lines, seems to taken care of the problem atm, have a new belt on order too! will get a few photos up soon cheers

13. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

new fuel line

Attached Files:

14. kiwiscoot

kiwiscoot New Member

and another moody pic haha

Attached Files:

15. metalizzer

metalizzer New Member

Rides:
    a horse and a donkey
    Hi .
    sometimes it´s so simple as a tank cap with the breather hole blocked.
    do you know where to get a shop manual ? i´m restoring one 125cc skipper