Piaggio skipper 125cc

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jb1990, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jb1990

Jb1990 New Member

Hi guys i have a skipper 125cc that runs absolutely perfectly once started however if sat for a few hours it becomes a real struggle to get going ,once going it starts perfectly Everytime and can sit for about two hours before problems start again i also find if u get the engine started but don't rev and switch off you have a problem starting the next time but if you rev then switch off it will fire up perfectly the next time I've had carb cleaned bits adjusted by a mechanic literally on Friday just gone problem being when i get it to.the garage it's been running so starts fine for them i got into work this evening and noticed that all power had gone on the scooter i tapped the battery box nd the power came back the battery is brand new and fully charged my connector must be loose but could that cause this problem ?

2. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

When you say struggling to start is it turning over or won’t turn over at all

If it’s turning over and not firing it can’t be much
    Fuel air spark etc

What year skipper

3. Jb1990

Jb1990 New Member

It's 04 it has run perfectly and has always been looked after and maintained it's a starting problem from sitting for more than 3 or more hours i cant get the engine to fire up but I have noticed if the scooter backfires it will start next attempt , I thought this a co incidence at first but 4 times its started this week but only after backfiring until it backfires u won't get it to start but first successful attempt and it starts Everytime until u leave it for too long and the scooter itself runs fine once on the move thank for your reply by the way

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  4. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

Bit of a long shot but if it’s turning over and not starting after a few hours maybe there a fuel issue. I’ve just had to replace some of my fuel lines cause they have perished (05 skipper) maybe air is getting in over the few hours it’s left standing.
    If the spark is good air filter clean and clear Then I’m thinking could be fuel.
    Like I say long shot but deff worth a check

5. shane2k

shane2k New Member

you tried a new spark plug and check air filter to make sure it not full of crap

6. Jb1990

Jb1990 New Member

Cheers for reply and yes I've had it down at the garage and they can't put there finger on it said they've checked all that and I'm paying labour for nothing in the end because they don't know ive just resorted to making it backfire then it starts and will start Everytime after that first time is odd

7. shane2k

shane2k New Member

what mileage as it done on the clock

also you done a compression test incase its running low on psi

does it struggle to get upto speed quick or does it feel sluggish

8. Jb1990

Jb1990 New Member

It's done just over 7,000 miles I havnt done one myself but I'm pretty sure it was done at the garage as they said they checked everything there advice was to start it without pulling the throttle but i never did anyway as there's no need to I just dont think they have a clue to b honest same as me
    It gets up to speed fine and feels smooth when riding on a open road although I do find stopping at traffick lights makes the scooter idle for a second or two before accelerating but that's normally in the first 15 minutes of riding but there's definitely a sluggish feel when starting from a stop t juntions lights etc Im leaning towards a fuel issue

9. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

Did you get it sorted

10. Jb1990

Jb1990 New Member

No I used it over the weekend and it started Friday night pretty quickly I got home 6am sat and at 1.30pm sat it would not start ended up flattening the battery and rushing to charge it to get back to work but luckily after a couple of backfires it fired up but until those backfires I can't smell any fuel like it's not coming through I definitley think your right that it's fuel problem Im going to take it to a different garage as I don't really do maintenance and I'll get them to Check what u said about the fuel lines because the garage I've used are now blaming the starting motor if the problem is persisting nd it's definitely not that,

11. baileywhite

baileywhite Member

If there is a split in any of the fuel lines you should see it when you strip the panels off.
    These types of issues are best sorted investigated yourself as the garage tend to just toss it off and only do easy jobs.
    I’d you can get the panels off your half way there
    I have a Haynes manual if you need any Info Just ask I will try get you the info
    Deff not starter if it’s turning over.

12. Jb1990

Jb1990 New Member

Cheers mate I am fed up with spending money on labor and still having the problem started today first time after not using it or starting it all week which doesent normally happen luckily work nights and can get to the scooter wen I want so I'm able to start it every couple hours so I'm able to get by, I'm waiting on a mate popping down now in next couple weeks he knows wat he's doing so I'll get that checked first Definitely feeling convinced it's fuel related all parts, plugs etc have been checked they found nothing wrong I will let u no I'm optimistic ur onto something lol