Piaggio NRG L/C 2011

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Jeff_93, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Don't feel sorry for me, it's my job, it's my business:D
    Motorcycle and scooter repairs, restorations and renovations.

But seriously, this NRG is screwed. Needs shit loads to to be roadworthy again. It hasn't been MOT'd since 2012, the crank is shot, all the bearings are shot, no front brake at all (I mean no master cylinder/hose/caliper), flat rear tyre, no throttle, no mirrors, no grips, no mudguard, missing disc bolts, there's loads...................

2. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Well I’ll be pulling my standard throttle off today if you want it :D
    But sounds like you’ve got your work cut out, although keeps you busy I suppose!

I’m thinking of putting areox master cylinders and brake levers on, I find they look a lot more sleek, wonder if this could be a simple swap going to look into it!

cheers

Jeff

3. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Got some goodies today,

F730A75E-02A4-4277-BF0B-C74598CAF673.jpeg

Pads front and rear didn’t get pic of tears oops!

New bolt set just to freshen the tired ones up, and S6 throttle (main reason for the throttle is it has a switch on it which I can use for electric start)

As I’m no expert just want to clarify with you scooter wiz’s that the OEM throttle cable splits in 2, one leading to carb one leading to I believe oil pump? Is this correct?

was going to be running premix anyway so having the s6 cable that only leads straight to carb is fine with me

cheers

Jeff

4. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Some bits and bobs from this week

DDCE71DA-97F0-4BDB-A2A2-A6CB409041C5.jpeg

malossi 70cc kit
    Yasuni R
    Polini air filter
    Jets
    Carb rebuilt kit

going to be purchasing the rollers and clutch springs next then time to get fitting all the parts.

need some advise around oil pump, going to be disconnecting and running premix, however want to know my options with regards to blocking off the pump, had a search couldn’t find any guides :(

all for now

Jeff

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yes the throttle cable splits.
    Oil pump..................personal choice I suppose
    For running in purposes a little extra oil isn't a bad thing, but I've found people who run premix tend to over do it a bit.
    It's hard to judge how much oil to put in when your at the petrol station and just filled up, then standing there with your bottle of oil and measuring jug, pissing off the other customers who are waiting to get their fuel:D

6. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

I hear a lot of 33:1 or 40:1, will look further into it when it comes to it! Waiting on some more bits to come then going to do everything that is needed next week I think! Won’t be long till she’s back on the road!

cheers
    Jeff

7. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Small update today,

got some high temp lacquer on the yasuni hopefully keep it looking fresher for longer fingers crossed, not used this stuff before so we’ll see how it performs

541A34A1-3D44-478B-9F35-90B6A9D8AC76.jpeg

Cheers

Jeff

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I got my customers NRG through the MOT, he's collecting it today:)
    Complete engine rebuild, cases painted, belt cover painted, jetted, rollered, belted, braked, the bleedin' lot.........

9. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Haha the full works! Defo gonna be painting the cases, what colour did you go with it?

Cheers
    Jeff

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Satin black.
    He wants the body that Audi primer grey colour eventually and black wheels.
    That's if he doesn't destroy it first.......

11. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Nardo grey? Pretty sweet colour! Will look nice finished, although I prefer something a little more punchy on a scooter, mind not as punchy as my old roxxy haha!

10DA7868-EA08-4BD9-850D-213BDE9F2D18.jpeg
    992A7916-549B-4DD5-96A6-264CE286CB8C.jpeg

Haha it was very in your face!

Jeff

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm playing with my Rox as well today, a 2000 model 100cc

13. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Bad news today!

got the head off and there is some heavy pitting around the top of block :( my brother who’s a car mechanic (so no expert with these) has recommended maybe trying to get a new engine, also had the vatiator casing off and noticed it was very dirty in there... under inspection it seems some thing has gone wrong with the clutch assembly as was rubbing on cases which then caused a hole into the gearing :(

Think it would just be easier to get a different engine then put my parts on the new one

A9A5744B-67C3-49B8-ABC8-89021E220C29.jpeg

053E6453-9EAB-4A5D-ADAD-AC845CC58974.jpeg

will hopefully pick one up this week!

Cheers
    Jeff

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The pitting around the barrel surface isn't much of a problem, that can be sealed with a smear of HondaBond and the gasket.

Is there any gearbox fluid leakage from the input shaft seal area at the back of the clutch?
    If not then you could just clean it up with a wire brush and a skim of chemical metal then dress it.
    Or just replace the plate.
    I would look at alternatives before buying another engine

15. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Hi Steve,

yeah, there’s been leakage into the casing from gearbox side, I’m assuming there’s some kind of bearing failure from the gearbox side, when you rotate the clutch it’s not aligned properly lots of play in the shaft.

Got the week of this week so I’ll be investigating further seeing what’s what

thanks for your help so far

cheers

Jeff

16. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Afternoon all, been a while since I’ve checked in…
    So where do I start,

there’s been progress… I decided to go full rebuild

jasil evo crank
    Stage 6 bearing and seals
    Replacement water pump
    Malossi clutch

along with my malossi 70cc kit

now put all back together
    then I noticed that one of the circlips had popped off the water pump, anyway removed and inspected and I thought rather than try repair I would get a new one, seems like the clip was slightly bent

so got a polini stainless pump, having issues when it’s comes to installing now it’s back together and wanted to double check the seal

I have again replaced the seal but doesn’t seem to be budging any further than this
    09F70B04-D75D-49EE-8B77-2DDABFB37099.jpeg

Am I correct in thinking this isn’t deep enough?
    Slightly hangs over the groove at the bottom

Really enjoyed doing this so far though been a good little project, hit a few snags on the way but I ordered all the correct tools for the job which then made it a lot easier!
    Anyone reading this.. if your going to rebuild and you’ve not done it before, crank case separator and crank puller make the job a breeze! Massively recommend

Thanks

Jeff

WWOOTT likes this.
  17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Absolutely no idea, been years since I did a LC NRG

18. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Scratching my head with it a little, think I’m going to split cases again and make sure it’s properly fitted I don’t want to take the risk!
    Pump goes in but when I’ve tightened the impeller it’s not free to move by hand, back to the drawing board haha!

will update later next week how I’ve got on

19. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

Right so,

split cases, found the small plastic washer that sits behind the fan had slightly dropped down, when tightened this caused it to go stiff as it was rubbing.

seal was perfectly in place however for piece of mind I’m glad I split the cases.

some pictures will follow in the week just need to pop the piston and head on and some ancillaries and we are laughing!

cheers

jeff

20. Jeff_93

Jeff_93 New Member

It’s in!

pretty much all there just got to pop coolant in and mix up some premix and pop the brakes back on.

will hopefully see it running in next couple of days just finding time at the moment!

D1FAECCA-A9D6-4EB9-8F63-34A775AC253E.jpeg

Cheers

jeff