Piaggio Liberty 50t 2000 - rear cover removal to replace mudguard and shock

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Franc Falco, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum and the title says it all!
    I need to replace the mudguard and rear shock on my 2000 Piaggio liberty 50t but i can't for the life of me see an obvious option to get access and it looks like the rear cover has to be removed - my question is how??

Did a search but didn't find the answer and i have a ebay Haynes manual on its way but just intrigued if this forum can be quicker than post!

help appreciated!

cheers

Franc

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Have the Piaggio manual/self -got it for working on my Zip.have a look for you when i get home from work.

Mark.

3. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

Many thanks!

I'm sure i'll have to remove the whole rear body to access the shock bolts and fixings for the rear mudguard, but as mentioned i cant see an obvious way to remove the bodywork?

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    14. Liberty body panels -
    (removal & installation)

Seat -
    Unlock the seat using the ignition key & swing it upright,then remove the screws securing the seat hinge to the storage compartment & remove the seat.

Engine access panel -
    To remove the front access panel,remove the 2 screws securing the panel,then pull the panel forwards to detach it.

Rear carrier -
    Where fitted,unclip the cover,then carefully lift it off noting how the tabs locate in the carrier.
    Undo the 3 bolts securing the carrier/then lift it off.
    Installation is the reverse ...but insure the tabs are correctly aligned BEFORE pressing the cover into position.

Seat cowling -
    1st remove the 3 above.,
    Remove the screws securing the tailight & rear turn signal assemblies,then disconnect the wiring & remove the assemblies.
    The sear cowling is secured by 1 screw on each side & 2 screws inside the engine access aperture.
    Remove the screws ,then carefully lift the cowling off,noting how the tabs on the lower front edge locate in the floor panel.

Rear mudguard & Hugger -
    First remove the seat cowling then disconnect the wiring for the number plate light.
    Undo the the screws securing the mudguard to the frame then remove the mudguard.
    The hugger is secured by 1 screw on the right hand side at the back of the engine unit & 1 screw on the left hand side which also secures the back of the air filter housing - undo the screws & remove the hugger.
    'Double check' left hand screw is correctly located on the back of the air filter housing on reassembly.;.

Storage compartment -
    Remove seat cowling,
    Remove the battery,then undo the screw securing the starter relay bracket on the right hand side of the storage compartment & displace the relay.
    Undo the screw that secures the air filter housing intake to the side of the storage compartment.
    Remove the fuel tank cap & on Liberty 50 models the oil cap.
    Undo the 2 screws securing the storage compartment to the frame,then lift out the storage compartment
    Replace caps on fuel/oil immediately to prevent ingress of debris.

Floor panel -
    Remove seat cowling,remove passenger footrests.
    Lift the outer rubber strips on the floor panel & remove the 4 fixing screws.
    Lift the back edge of the panel & disengage it from the tabs on the lower edge of the kick panel & take panel off.

Kick panel -
    Remove floor panel,undo the 2 screws
    securing the bag hook & remove it.
    Open the glove box & remove the 2 screws securing the kick panel.
    Remove the 2 screws on the lower edge of the kick panel,ease the panel back & remove it.

That should give you a bit of a heads up.
    Left out front panel/belly panel/handlebar covers/front mudguard,but this is roughly how the series goes (HAYNES 3492).

Mark.

5. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

6. Franc Falco

Franc Falco New Member

All sorted - fairly involved to remove and replace the rear mudguard, but all sorted now.
    Filthy process though, the 2stroke oil had covered everything in a thick sludge!
    Shame i ran out of time to replace my weeping rear shock... but now i know what to do, next time should be easy!