Piaggio Liberty 50 restoration

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by CGC, Mar 24, 2018.

1. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    Thought I would start a thread on my Liberty. I will try to get the pictures in the correct order. Bought it as a non runner and was headed for the breakers I think.
    Res 01.jpg first wash when I got it

Res 02.jpg looks ok with all the panels
    Res 3.jpg
    but certainly doesn't without. No complaints though because I expected to do a lot of work on it.

2. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 04.jpg res 05.jpg res 06.jpg time to start removing things

3. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 07.jpg the exhaust was easily displaced from the factory preset position

4. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 08.jpg decided to leave the engine cover covered in paint stripper while I checked over the engine

5. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 09.jpg with all panels removed, flipped the scooter upside down to clean underneath, piston was original and some slight scoring on the barrel. decided to sand the barrel and get a new piston.
    res 10.jpg a rather manky engine in need of a clean

6. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 11.jpg cleaned and painted underneath
    res 12.jpg new piston kit fitted
    res 13.jpg tested and fitted the starter motor and painted the stand, put the scooter upright and cleaned the engine ready for its final shot of the wire brush.
    thanks to gogs (brother) for a loan of the socket set and some tools

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 14.jpg sprayed the tailgate
    res 15.jpg sprayed the rear frame
    res 16.jpg cleaned up the rear shock, now time to work on the front end

8. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 17.jpg removed the front end in need of a clean
    res 18.jpg also in need of a clean and new bearings

res 19.jpg much better, ready to fit
    res 20.jpg ready to be fitted to

9. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 21.jpg new steering bearings top and bottom, cleaned the raceways with a soft brass brush on a drill.

res 22.jpg beginning to look like a scooter again

res 23.jpg final spray on the frame and fitted the bars

res 24.jpg a whole day spent on the fork legs bringing good results

res 25.jpg look good fitted

10. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    res 26.jpg painted all lower plastics and rear mudguards

res 27.jpg CV cover turned out good

res 28.jpg last photo I took before finishing the electrics and going for MOT

there was hardly any contacts I didn't need to clean, renewed all bolts and a lot of spring clips, washers. took me about a month. I could only work on it a few hours at a time for health reasons. but now I have transport again.

Stevep and Sam phantom like this.
  11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Good job, well done

CGC likes this.
  12. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    thanks, was really worth the effort. still renewing parts as I go. the next step is to replace all bearings at the clutch/driveshaft end. they are ok but the same age as the scooter, so a cheap enough job to do but means heating the hub and clutch side casing, so no final finishing of the casings yet.

13. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    scooter is off the road for a few days and we have sunshine so decided to replace the rear wheel bearing and driveshaft bearing.

14. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    tried a few other methods first, but ended up with this as my home made bearing puller IMG_20180415_140909.jpg IMG_20180415_140857.jpg IMG_20180415_140903.jpg
    used an M8 roofing bolt as the threaded rod. its went as far as the top of the socket on the mole grip side allowed, then changed to a socket which went right through.

15. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    home made bearing puller No1. got it moving and this far, used a camping cooker to heat the casing. IMG_20180415_141047.jpg a small piece at a time and some loosening taps with the hammer while using the puller.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  16. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    time for home made bearing puller No.2 to go the rest of the way.
    IMG_20180415_144019.jpg it was already moving so pulled out easily

17. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    IMG_20180415_153958.jpg cleaned out the bearing seating, fitted the new oil seal, then fitted the new bearing using much the same method with a large socket on either side, just make sure the ratchet end (top) of the socket is on the bearing and is about 1mm less diameter than the bearing. didn't take any photos of the wheel bearing, but it was pretty straight forward.

18. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Inspiring thread to read 1st thing on a Mon.morning.:).,
    building up a Piaggio 50 in my front room atm - along some time restraints due to work.:):).

CGC likes this.
  19. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    Thanks, first time I have replaced any bearings, I knew this one was going to be a long job so made sure to get a good quality branded bearing and a packet of new seals. Even with keeping the new bearing in the freezer overnight it was still tight to go in.

20. CGC

CGC Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Liberty 50
    recently had some electrical faults which knacked the CDI and autochoke, so replaced the regulator, autochoke, CDI unit, and now have new ignition switch. the starter motor was shorting to the engine so took it out, and replaced it with a large rubber washer, a big steel washer either side and an M8 bolt with spring washers and nyloc nuts and removed the bendix.. it will certainly not move. starter motor is not a necessity but if is easy enough to fit one if I want. took all the insulation off the loom to check all the wires, and all is good. just waiting on the ignition switch to get things started again.

took out the stator to clean behind and replace the insulation. all wires are good and coils and earths check as good.