Piaggio Gilera runner cooling system not working

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GileraGuy, Sep 16, 2019.

1. GileraGuy

GileraGuy New Member

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a 1997 50cc 2 stroke piaggio gilera runner, it has a liquid cooled cooling system which is currently not working due to a faulty water pump , the water in the reservoir tank stays cool even though the pipes near the engine cooling system get hot (as the water is not circulating). This can cause overheating for the engine, and I don't want to damagethe engine obviously.

I need to get the scooter to the mechanic to repair it, its about 9 miles away (20 minute ride usually). Would it be okay do you think if I ride the scooter for 5 minutes, then let it cool for 15 minutes and then repeat this process to get it to the mechanic in 4 5minute riding shifts with 15 minute breaks to allow cooling? I was thinking of carrying a bag of ice under the seat that I could put on the engine to help it cool during the break periods.

Does this seem sensible, or will it potentially wreck the engine?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Mark

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm guessing then that you have no knowledge of scooters, so I would suggest asking if he can collect it or phone a friend with a van?
    Where in the world are you based? maybe someone on here can assist.

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The engine does NOT need stripping to replace the water pump/seal unless the impeller has had the threads stripped out due to it being LEFT HAND thread ! As Stevep says, get it collected.