Piaggio Fly 50 Upgrade 125

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by vince86, Dec 6, 2016.

1. vince86

vince86 New Member

Hi- Newbie here!

I have a Piaggio Fly (2009) that at manufacture was a 100cc but the owner whom I bought it from advised me it had been reduced to a 50cc, which it was sold as.

I saw an engine for sale from a 125cc Piaggio Fly (2005) for really cheap (£27) so I bought it for an upgrade. I bolted it on fine as it appears to be the same fixing, had to buy a replacement shock absorber as the mount on the 125 engine is different and I modified the bit that connects the carburetor to the engine so it would fit without getting a new carburetor.

I have two problems. The first is that I have assumed that because the Piaggio Fly 50 and 100 CDIs are the same, this same CDI will run a 125 engine, but I don't know if this is correct? Secondly, there's a switch that I believe to be the stator connector but it's slightly different on the 125 engine and isn't fitting- will this be compatible & if not how can I make it work?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    CDI wise i think you find it needs a 125cc cdi . you could try the 50-100cc cdi , but you may find it will not work right. also is the new engine an imobilized version or non imobilized if so you will need to bypass the imobilizer with a bypass unit.

stator usually hooks into the main wire loom from there it feeds the re-rec and likes to power the electrical systems and feed the coil with a charge voltage and current. stators come in differing flavours ie half wave / full wave , three wire - five wire etc etc. ( usually when you replace the motor you will also get the loom that was with that new motor to and fit it to bike unless it is a straight 125cc to 125cc swap.

switch ? do you mean a little black box looking thing thats connected to the wire loom on the stator, if so thats called the pickup sensor it sends a signal to the cdi telling it to fire the sparkplug. you would require the 125cc stator and not the 50cc stator ( the 50cc stator will not be powerful enough or maybe to small for the mounting points.

could you take a picture of said problem area and the non fitting part ( mount it up and take a picture so we can see what we are dealing with here ) , oh and welcome to the scootershack Vince

3. vince86

vince86 New Member

Thanks. But if I replace the CDI doesn't that mean I will definitely have to replace the whole loom? (I think if this were the case it would be too big a job for me as I am relatively novice at this).

Regarding the imobilizer: I'm pretty sure the Fly 125cc from which the engine comes is an immobilized bike but my understanding was that the immobilization is contained in the 125 CDI and therefore if I did manage to start the 125 engine on the 100 CDI then there would be no immobilization to worry about?

Sorry by switch I think I meant plug or connector- where the stator connects to the loom. Sorry there is not much light on the first picture but this shows the socket for the stator on the old 50cc engine which I can't be sure but it looks like a 2 pin socket:
    15409540_10209388884152918_1952412345_o.jpg

Then this is the actual plug coming from the bike which I have actually now managed to plug into the 125cc engine (but whether it works or not remains to be seen...) Again apologies for the picture quality:

15409777_10209388883752908_27276842_o.jpg

And finally this is the socket on the 125cc engine that I have now managed to plug it into:

15409637_10209388883712907_845695983_o.jpg

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    socket on the 125 motor looks to be the stator connector , seen the piaggio stators coming with that type of block connector
    same with the 50cc, that looks to be a stator/pickup connector block again the 50cc 4t fly stators have that two pin socket where the 125cc has a 5pin it looks like.

not a fan of those piagio Hyper4 /hyper2 motors they messed around with the connectors and likes trying to be cool and having the conenctions ported into the motor casing instead of a wire harness coming out leading to a connector block what we are all used to. means having to decamp side casing just to see the wires and where they lead to on those pins.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. vince86

vince86 New Member

I will give it a closer inspection tomorrow but I suspect you're right about the connectors being different. Yeah I think the thing you're talking about with the porting onto the motor casing is a feature of the 125 but not the 50cc engine, to the effect that because of this porting I had to remove the CDI from where it's bolted into the frame in order to fit the engine and now would need to find a new location to tie in the CDI...

If as we suspect the stator on the 125 is incompatible with the wiring of the bike, is there any kind of replacement stator that I could buy that would be compatible with both the wiring of the bike and the 125 engine?

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i will have a look around vince and see. maybe worth you googling the search term piaggio fly 125cc stator upgrade

possible someone may have run into this kind of problem else where and found a stator direct swap that worked , but i think its to do with were trying to fit a 125cc stator into a 50cc/100cc loom that could be incompatable. i dont think there is an easy fix for this to be very honest with you.

125cc looks more like a leader motor style, where the 50cc/100cc is a hyper2 style very differnet wiring.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. vince86

vince86 New Member

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you could only but try Vince, but its possible it could work or it could not , i cannot be 100% certain at all

9. andythebuilder

andythebuilder New Member

This is an easy fix,
    The leader plug's 5 pins are the 3 phase, one pin is the oil sender, the last pin is the pickup, you will need a 3 phase leader regulator £16·00 pedparts, this has five connections 3 phase wires in, the two out are a stable + & - @ 12v connect to the battery (charging your battery) .
    Connect the oil sender wire to the appropriate wire that lights up the dash warning light.
    You are now left with the pick up pulse wire, simply put this piggy back into the 100's cdi input + wire (connect everything as before).
    The power of the125 will be down as the 100's ignition spark advance curve is well retarded to match the 100's flat profiled camshaft to prevent engine knock on the hiper4 engine.
    Cheers Andy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Stevep likes this.
  10. milly

milly New Member

Andy I am about to attempt this once back from working at Glastonbury festival to my fly 50cc would you be able to enlighten me a bit more please.
    My fly is a 2006 model and the engine is about 2008 Vespa lx 125.