Piaggio electrical problem

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by garethm566, Mar 1, 2012.

1. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    The electrics don't work unless the engine is running, the electric start doesnt work,fuel and oil lights keep flickering,petrol gage doesn't work,horn doesnt work unless the engine is running,top centre brake light flickers when on,indicators don't work not even on the panel telling you that they are on,Im not 100% sure but I think it could be a fuse problem,I cant seem to find the fuses on my 2000X piaggio nrg extreme Dd

2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    You have a flat battery , replace or recharge (if it takes charge). Then when you have a good battery do a charge system check to make sure it's all working as it should otherwise you will be back to square one in a matter of days . To check the charge system you will need a multi meter.
    Set the meter to V(voltage)
    Place the red and black lead to the corresponding positive and negative of the battery .
    With the bike running at about 5 k rpm you should have a reading of around 14.5 V
    Anything above 15 and i would be checking the regulator.
    Anything under 13 and as well as regulator also check stator output.
    Set the meter to AC and put both leads on the yellow wires coming from stator (with the connection block unplugged) you should have a reading of about 40 volts when revving .

But the chances are you just need a battery , YB4-LB as far as i remember , about 30 quid. When you fit the new battery don't forget to fit the breather pipe on the side of it too.

3. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    Looks like I have to get a new battery,but it will have to wait till I can afford to buy one

4. billy bee

billy bee New Member

You may have a bad ground or a bad connection to the battery. If you checked the battery and load tested it and it seems ok, start checking grounds.

bb

5. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    I left the battery on charge over night on Thursday and took a voltage reading on Friday afternoon,12v battery only gives an output of 7v

6. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    battery has had it.

7. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    the guy who lives across the road,topped up the battery with water and charged it up and it worked fine

8. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    topped it with water? :confused:

9. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    distilled water is OK for small amounts and as a temp measure if its been well drained ..but if he added loads to bring it back to the right levels, the battery will most likely be on its last legs

10. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    When I tried it out on Saturday it cut out a couple times but I managed to get it started again

11. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    is the cutting out a different problem or did it do that before the electrical problem?

12. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    I think it might be a new problem,before i could start it with the kick start,but on saturday it wouldn't start after it cut out,i had to leave it a while before it would start again,it could be an electrical issue or something else

13. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    When it cuts out is it fine on tick over? wen does it cut out low revs or high revs?

14. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    It was cutting out if it wasn't being revved,to keep it going I had to rev it

15. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    ahhh easy problem to be solved, Find your idle screw on the carb (tell me if you dont know wat this is ill try help more) and turn it half of turn clockwise and should sort your problem mate

16. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    That or you have a airleak.

17. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    Hopfully it could be a simple idle screw adjustment if not he can worry bout the air leak after ;)

18. garethm566

garethm566 New Member

Rides:
    piaggio nrg extreme
    The guy who lives across the road from me knows a lot about motorbikes & scooters,thanks for the offer to help,much appreciated,when My friend was able to take the side panel off there was 2 rubber hoses which should have been connected to a filter,but wasn't there,but told not to bother about it the now

19. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    Welcome need anymore help just post the problem and will try best to help you out

20. hoojy

hoojy New Member

alright dudes ive got a problem with my mc3 liquicooled everything works fine exept the pissing brake lights have replaced the switches at the lever the regulator rectifier and the whole loom but with no luck any ideas ?