Piaggio Derestricting Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Lee Waite, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Hi,

I've posted a thread regarding help on derestricting my wife's piaggio and where to get the tools etc...
    PLEASE HELP!!!

if I just take the washer out of the Variator do I need to upjet?

Also next step modifying the standard exhaust- can I do both of these without upjetting?

Thanks
    Lee

2. 4strokerunner2005

4strokerunner2005 Member

Rides:
    gilera vxr200
    Yes simply get rid of the plastic spacing washer, u either need variator holding tool or a impact gun, use loctite on the nut to be sure. Crimp the small off pipe on the exhaust make sure the hole is sealed. No need to upjet, but wouldnt hurt to check the size for future reference.

3. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Ok that's good information...

If I wasn't to modify the original exhaust asnd get a Leo vince zx or pm tuning 360 or similar can this just be put
    Straight onto the bike without any other work needed?

It's got a years 1 warantee left on the bike so if something did go wrong I have the option of putting exhaust
    And washer back on it before taking to Piaggio dealer!

The dealer want £80-£120 to do this job aswell?

Thanks
    Lee

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What piaggio is it? 2t or 4t?

5. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Hi
    It's a piaggio dd power pro 2 stroke!

Thanks

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Variator washer/ exhaust and up-jet the carb.

7. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Do I need to upjet if I'm
    Using standard exhaust?

Anybody got a Haynes manual
    Or instructions to do it with pics?

Looked on YouTube but not much on!

Thanks
    Lee

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take the washer out of variator, remove brass coloured plate in mouth of carb (if fitted), it may have a 53 main jet as std, re-jet to 58, cut off and weld up deadend exhaust stubs.

9. phil.s

phil.s Active Member

DO NOT REMOVE THE BRASS CARB PLATE IT IS NEEDED ON A 50CC unless your going upto a 70cc you need the 50cc it controls the the air flow needed for the pilot and idle.
    if its removed you will only have problems with it

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If you up jet to 58 or 60 main jet it will work 100%, the brass coloured plate is part of the restriction. By all means leave it in if you don't up jet.

11. phil.s

phil.s Active Member

erm no the brass plate isnt part of the restrictor. why would you upjet just to derestrict you only need to upjet when you fit the sport pipe or start messing with other things like filters and 70 kits. the brass plate has holes drilled in certain areas to direct the right amount of air flow needed for the pilot jet if you remove it while still a 50cc you will start having low end problems more so when it starts getting cold you will also start to have issues with tick over.
    but hey what do i know do as others have said and keep the forum busy with your future questions asking why my ped is bogging out and why wont it tick over in the cold mornings

quimjuicemonkey likes this.
  12. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Ok, I'm not going to argue about it, just to say i have never had a problem as your've said by removing the brass plate.

13. Daily

Daily Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG LC DD
    Remove the brass restriction in the carb and upjet :)

14. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to derestrict the scooter this week...

So I'm going to remove the Variator washer first and weld the exhaust up. Is this all needs doing?

I've read that I don't need to upjet? Is this because I'm only letting the Variator open fully and the original jet should cope ok?

Also is my bike restricted through the ECU? (Seen some derestricted ECU's on eBay for £15)

I'm going to buy a Leo vince ZX in the future so obviously will need to upjet then!
    Can someone explain why I need to upjet with a sports exhaust and also why the clutch springs need changing?

Thanks
    Lee

Ps. Has anyone got the torque settings for the Variator nut and clutch bell? Would you use loctite?

15. phil.s

phil.s Active Member

il have a look in my haynes manual for the torque settings for you

16. astro77

astro77 Active Member

If you just remove the washer then no need to upjet, if you weld up the exhaust I would upjet 2 sizes so for example if the standard was a 56 I would go up to a 58. If you fit a a sports exhaust you are moving the power the bike produces up the rev range, so for example a standard bike will produce its power between 5000rpm to 7000rpm, and the clutch will engage at around 5000rpm, when you fit a sports exhaust it will produce its power between 7000rpm to 9000rpm so you want the clutch to engage at around 7000rpm, anything below that and it will crawl till it hits the 7000rpm, also the lighter rollers help keep the revs between this when you open the throttle. Up jetting for a sports exhaust as a general rule is 10% so you would go for example from a 56 as standard to a 60. And final note leave the brass plate in the carb, the only people who see benefits of removing it is people with high end tuned 70s.

17. Lee Waite

Lee Waite New Member

Cheers for the replays guys....

18. Elliot Bramley

Elliot Bramley Member

I needed to jet my zip with washer in variator and derestricted exhaust. It bogged down at full revs so i recommend taking to a garage and gettin it upjetted

19. bulliporker

bulliporker Member

i removed the washer and de restricted the exhaust pipe on my zip and it made no difference whatsoever

20. astro77

astro77 Active Member

probably took out wrong washer:eek: