Piaggio carnaby 125 running rich

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Clive@elliott, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Clive@elliott

Clive@elliott New Member

Hi I have a 2017 piaggio carnaby 125 which was a no runner. I have put on a new fuel pump and cleaned and checked over the carb but it’s running rich. There does seem to be any adjustment for the carb. If I start it cold it runs on tick over perfect but as soon as you touch the throttle it dies. If you start it and keep the throttle open it Rev’s up fine let go and it dies. Any ideas

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

You should be able to adjust it to make it run leaner. What carb have you got? Standard set up?

3. Clive@elliott

Clive@elliott New Member

It’s a keihin carburetor cvk30

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Hole it the diaphram?

5. Clive@elliott

Clive@elliott New Member

I think the electric choke is stuck on. It’s fine when it’s cold but dies when it warms up.

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take it off measure the tip, put 12 volt to it to see if it moves out !

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

They don't tend to stick on..
    Unless it's stuck in the carb, you will soon find out...
    Could the float height be off?

8. Carnabooli

Carnabooli New Member

Have you got any advice on this?? Or any update?

I've got exactly the same sort of issue and the garage are saying that they need to open up the engine and look at the valve clearances in the engine. I have previously had a stuck pin on the bit which connects to the throttle cable just above the engine.

At that time, they had done a fix, and just said when I start it, give it a couple minutes and then ride.

It was fine for the first couple of days, but then since, if I stopped revving (even whilst stationary), it would die out. And I'd have to start it (which it would struggle to do). Then, a couple of days later, I would be riding and it would be wanting to die out, but would be running very rich and bogging down. I would accelerate and it sometimes would just delay before activating. It seems to only behave like this once it has reached temperature.

The engine only has 12k miles on it. It is a 2007 bike yes, but it's been kept serviced etc etc.

The garage (who are super genuine and honest) are saying it's not worth opening up to sort as the bill would rack up in the hundreds.

UGHHH PLEASE HELP?? WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ONNNNN.
    Any idea if any of these parts are easily/readily available?!

The idea of the float ^..
    The first time it stopped working (when the pin remained stuck) it would drip a bit of petrol onto the floor.
    This has something to do with it?

9. Carnabooli

Carnabooli New Member

Help please...?

10. Carnabooli

Carnabooli New Member

:(:(:(:(:(:(

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

@Carnabooli
    Please don't hijack someone elses thread, even if it is a similar problem to yours. It detracts from that persons problem and can make things hard to follow.
    I suggest starting your own thread in the appropriate section, all headings are in the main forum page.

As to your problem, have you changed the auto choke?