Peugeot Zenith. Won't fire up.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nutrock, Oct 25, 2014.

1. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    think you should get another coil...if only to rule it out...if you cant afford a new one,borrow one and try it..cant really think of anything else it could be...youve cleaned the carb so many times it must be spotless.it cant be the cdi your getting a spark.if it ain't the coil,the only thing I can think of is reverse the coil wires or check the pick up spacer gap on the "rusty thing".ive had a quick scan through what everyone else has suggested and what you've done and cant think of anything else.

2. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Thanks Jim. It's so annoying I've got this far there isn't a lot more that I can check/change but yet it's still not going properly.
    I'm going to try putting new premix properly measured tomorrow and see if that helps. If not, I'm scrapping the thing :(

3. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    ide just tuck it away and attack it again after a few months,but I'm a stubborn git...it wont eat anything stored behind a shed or something...might find a buyer for it localy if you deffo want it out of your life.seen a few problem peds go for good prices on ebay and yours does run after a fashion,just wont stay running..

4. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I don't wanna give up after getting this far and it'll be a waste just to stop now. I'll perceiver and see how it goes

scootzmadness likes this.
  5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

So if you keep your hand on the throttle it will keep running, yes?
    But if you let go, it fades and dies?

6. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Yea
    yep.

7. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Choke?

scootzmadness likes this.
  8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ok.
    So you are keeping the throttle open a little with your hand on it. That means that the carb slide is dropping too far down when you take your hand off, and it is not getting the fuel it needs to keep itself going.
    You could try turning the idle screw in while you are holding the throttle until it either wont go in anymore, or the revs start to pick up by themselves.
    If the idle screw does go all the way in and it still dies after you take your hand off the throttle, then take the slide needle out of the carb and put the clip on the bottom slot. This will allow a little more fuel into the carb at idle speed. You will have to back out the idle screw afterwards a few turns and try again with the throttle/idle screw setting to hopefully get the right idle speed.
    Try it and let us know what happens please

Nutrock likes this.
  9. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Sounds promising, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks.

10. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Guys, guys, guys....first of all, Stevep, I tried what you said, the throttle screw/idle screw thingy didn't work. The other one you suggested with the clip on the needle, it worked...BUT still died after a little while longer.
    Thing is, after blocking off the air filter it ran and kept running. So strange. The air filter was still connected to the carb, I just blocked it off with a microfibre cloth and it idled until I cut it off with the key. It was revving up and down but I put that down to the idle screw not set up correctly.
    I'm closer now. Please tell me I'm on the right track.

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

most definately. means you need to put a bigger main jet in the carb.
    Does it have the standard airbox or an open type filter on it?

Nutrock likes this.
  12. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Standard air box. Does that mean the main jet isn't standard?

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

means the jet is too small. by putting that cloth over the air filter union, you decreased the airflow and increased the fuel ratio, which says it was getting too much air at idle speed. so the plan now is to look at the number on the main jet and go up a couple of sizes.

14. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I THINK it was 72 or 74.

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hmmm, that should be ok with the standard airbox on it.
    Does it have filter sponge in the airbox?
    If not, put some in.
    If yes, then it may be a too open type of sponge.
    However, stick a size 80 main jet in it, leave the needle clip where it is and let us know what happens.
    It could to all intents and purposes have a jet that is too big already, but we wont know until you go up a few first

16. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I'll give the 80 a go. I've just had a thought. When I took all the plastics off to get easy access I completely forgot about this 2nd part of the air box.
    image.jpg (the part on the left) do you think that'll make a difference? I'll try it tomorrow.
    And yes, there is a brand new sponge in the air filter. Maybe it's too new, do I have to soak it in anything?

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

DOH!
    and no, its fine as it is.

18. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I've ordered a size 80 jet now. Only £2.75 what have I got to lose. (Apart from £2.75 lol)

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

its cheaper to order by the pack of 10, because you might need the next size up or down

Nutrock likes this.
  20. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Now you tell me :( nevermind.