Peugeot Zenith. Won't fire up.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nutrock, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Now that you've said it, the wires going up to the key barrel were wrapped in electrical tape instead of the typical rubber tubing. My brother said it looked like someone's taped it themselves. And if I turn the key off and then back on again it doesn't always turn over, I press the brake lever and starter switch...nothing. I have to turn the key off and on again. You're all so helpful. It seems like I get a new part that I think will solve the problem but then it turns out to be something else.
    I don't mind about buying the correct tool, I'm getting a nice collection now ;)

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

you can bypass the ignition switch with a peice of wire, cant remember what wires to connect up tho...

3. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I'll look it up. Thank you.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Best thing to do I've found is find the lump under the tape, open it up, normally find where someone has twisted the wires together and they've gone rusty, cut them back, strip and solder, use heat shrink tubing to insulate each wire.

Nutrock and scubabiker like this.
  5. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Looking forward to this lol.

6. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    my ped starts with none of the wires connected.two wires for stopping the lump(cdi short)..two for connecting electrics..lights etc..cant remember my colours either..

7. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Ok I think I've done it, it's turning over. Have I done it right? There are 3 other wires unconnected. image.jpg
    Still no spark though :'(

8. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    you got the general idea..dunno if you have to short any of the other wires out in your case cos mine is wired differently.my other two wires are a cdi earth shorting to stop The lump..dunno if yours might need connecting or not..

9. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

This is what's bothering me. I'm unsure wether that's all I need to bypass it or if it's still missing something to make the spark. I ordered a manual cd from eBay but it hasn't turned up yet. I can't find any online with complete wiring diagrams.

10. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Member

Rides:
    Sym Megalo
    I hope to god I get this don’t get this wrong but checking up on the net, I find that the two wires you need to short together are Red with black stripe to White with black stripe. The Peugeot wiring book I just found show them as RG-NR and BA-NR (French).
    Are there such wires?

Looks like the ignition switch does not short out the CDI pulse coil as with many other scoots, but disconnects the charge coil from the CDI unit.

More general information found here:
    http://scootercommunity.com.au/files/folders/peugeot/default.aspx?PageIndex=1

Also it looks as though the electrical ground for the ignition system is all through the starter motor earth, so also make sure the negative side of the starter motor is bolted or fastened to the engine if it is a two wire starter motor.

Do you have a multimeter to check coils if need be?

Adrian

11. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Adrian, the colours seem to be right if I remember correctly. There's definitely a red/black stripe wire.
    Thanks a lot for that.
    I have a multi meter but need to practice because I'm useless with it at the moment.

12. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Member

Rides:
    Sym Megalo
    Well before you go off and do anything wait a minute and download from the page listed above the "Electrical System Workshop Manual" Have a read.

I would say you need two links in, one to allow 12 Volts to go back to the start relay, via a start button and brake light switch and another that has no volts on it for the ignition to work.

If you can turn it over quickly with the kick start you no not need a battery for the engine to run.

Adrian

Nutrock likes this.
  13. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Member

Rides:
    Sym Megalo
    Looking at picture if the link red to Black allows the starter to turn, could it be another link between the other red and white wire for the ignition to run?

If you remove red to black does the starter motor not work?

Adrian

14. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Member

Rides:
    Sym Megalo
    There is a good download on the page called "Electrical Test workshop manual" shows how to use a multimeter to test the electrics..

And sorry to all that I am adding posts, for some reason once I have posted I can not go back into edit mode to add more.

Adrian

Nutrock likes this.
  15. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I tried the red/black striped wire to each of the other 4 wires and it blew the fuse. I tried the plain red to plain black and it was able to turn over on the starter switch.

16. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Member

Rides:
    Sym Megalo
    Going through a Chinese bike book I have typically as follows:-

Solid red is the permanent 12 Volts from Battery, via a fuse to the ignition switch No fuse to the starter motor relay and on to the stater motor.
    The Solid Black wire is switched 12 Volts. So everything that gets power when switched on.
    Green is ground, or negative.

Here is the guesswork, if correct in my reading of the pdf's, There should be no voltage but you should be able to measure around 750 Ohms between the Red/Black stripe wire and the engine metalwork. The white/Black stripe wire should go off to the CDI unit and be seen at the plug of the CDI.

If that is correct, then adding a wire link between the Red/Black stripe wire and the White/Black wire should not blow a fuse.

Adrian

Nutrock likes this.
  17. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

What is the zenith the same as? I mean wiring diagrams and stuff. I got my Peugeot workshop manual cd today, just had a look on it and Zenith is nowhere to be found. Just speedfight, vivacity, trekker and fox. :(

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

All Peugeot scooters are made by a company called Jinan Quinqi in China. It's just a re-badged one of theirs, which in turn is a copy of something else. If you search for Sinnis scooters you'll find yours in there somewhere. Probably.

Nutrock likes this.
  19. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Ok, I got a spark. Don't ask me how. I ended up blowing the other coil up by connecting it directly to the battery haha. Tried the old coil and it works. Anyway, still no start up. I put some fuel in the spark plug hole and it fired up but alot of popping and spluttering. I've noticed there's a lot of carbon in the exhaust. And plus this little thing was blocked, image.jpg (tiny brass pipe just under big brass pipe next to needle hole (technical term))
    Still not running. Please help I know you're probably sick of this thing by now.
    image.jpg

20. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    okey doke...looks like we're back to square one...bunging petrol in the plug hole will give you all kinds of running probs cos your not feeding it with the correct air/ fuel ratio..no probs...its normal..clean the little hole in the bit in the big hole...( main jet) and any other little holes and bits you can find that ain't gonna tax your spanner skills... put it all together and see how it goes.im assuming the valve timing and valves are ok..does it rattle like a bag of spanners ?..also check there's no holes in the carb diapram..looks like a femidom in the top of the carb..undo the four little screws on the top of the carb and lift the top off...theres a spring under the cap so hold it all down till all the screws are out and release it slowly..lift the cap off and underneath your see it..black rubber thing.gently lift it out of the thin lip around the top and the throttle slide will come out with it(their connected)in side the slide is the throttle needle..this is held in by the clip and wedged down by the spring.the clip determines the position that it sits in the main jet..take out the spring and the needle should be able to be pushed gently up and your see the curclip on the needle..for now,put the clip on the middle position..the black rubber bit(femidom) should have no holes tears rips or other damage that lets light through..if its damaged the vacuum in the system wont be able to lift the needle and it will run like crap.enough for now...my thumbs gone numb..

Nutrock likes this.