Peugeot Zenith. Won't fire up.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nutrock, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Right, I'm back.
    The main jet I ordered for the specific bike arrived and was too small so that's a dead end.
    Spoke to my uncles mate who used to fix bikes, he said if it doesn't start on the electric start then it must be an ignition problem, what's causing it to start on the kick but not the ignition. Made me think back....this thing... image.jpg
    Remember when I first checked the bike over, the live wire (red) was corroded and green powdery rust.
    The battery is charging AGAIN so luckily my sym DD50 had the same relay so I'm going to try that tomorrow with a fully charged battery, you never know. I might if blown the one that was on the bike some how. I'll give it a test on the multi meter, does anyone know how?
    Thanks.

2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    its a relay...take a multi meter and put it to resistance..put one of the probes on one of the terminals and touch each of the other terminals until you get a reading..if you dont get a reading from that ,move the probe to the next terminal and retest in the same way.eventualy you will get to the point were two terminals will give a resistance...these two terminals are the coil connections .the other two are the switch..this is a normaly open relay(n.o)the switch will operate and give a short circuit reading if you put a voltage across the coil contacts and a mutimeter across the two remaining switched contacts.simples

Nutrock likes this.
  3. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Update time.
    Been working on the scooter tonight. After fiddling with the idle screw, It's idling ok, still dies out after a while but nowhere near as quick as before. Especially when it's cold.
    Went up the road and back like a dream, thing is, it idles but when you give a bit of throttle, it'll rev really high and just stay at that, won't drop back down. The throttle slide isn't getting stuck because I checked and saw it moving up and went back down after the revs stayed high.
    This is the only problem now I think.
    EDIT: forgot to say, I've gone back to the oil tank and petrol in their separate tanks. No more premix, oil pump does seem to be working :confused:

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Check the position of the air mix screw; it could be too many turns out. Should be around 1 1/2 to 2 turns out.

5. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

That's what it was, Steve. 2 turns. Just can't seem to tweak it enough.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

sounds to me like mix screw too, is your airbox on properly?

7. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

There's 2 screws, one with a Philips head and one with a D shape which I've filed a notch onto so I can use a flathead to unscrew it. so it goes like this:
    Phillips head is unscrewed 2 turns.
    Flathead is screwed in all the way, nearly snug.

8. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Yes scuba, air box is on and screwed into place.

9. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I'm an idiot, I'm getting mixture screw and idle screw mixed up. The mix screw is all the way in. Doh!!

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

aha! so that'll mean a bit more tweaking then:rolleyes:

Nutrock likes this.
  11. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Got it running ok, still not 100%, I turned the mixture screw out 2 turns and that's it. Could hear it was dropping after the throttle was closed, not normal idle sounding yet, had a run up and down the road to test, seemed lacking in power a bit, I'll do more at the weekend.

scubabiker likes this.
  12. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Sounds like your more forward than backwards with it..if you ain't done a compression test yet.,might be an idea now you've got this far.if your compression is good then that can be ruled out and the carb can be concentrated on..you probably will need a bit more jet tweaking but if your compression is low it could deceive you into thinking its carb issues.lack of power could be one or the other or a bit of both.well done for persevering with it...

Nutrock likes this.
  13. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I'll get onto the compression test Jim, was riding ok this afternoon just dies at idle.

14. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I've got to admit, it goes really well. Pretty nippy.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

15. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Okey doke...nice to hear your happily chugging along..stevep will get ya through that dinky problem..well done getting this far..have fun riding it and feather the throttle at a standstill till its cured.,it will get cured.,

Nutrock likes this.
  16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

just turn the idle screw in til it wont stall, if the revs sit up after that then start turning the air mix screw out an 8th at a time til it revs and drops down clean

Nutrock likes this.
  17. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Thanks guys. I'll try it tomorrow.

18. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Ok update time again.
    I've been quiet for a while but I've still been tinkering. With my Christmas money I decided to finally buy a Haynes manual for the scoot.
    It won't start when it's cold unless I put a rag in the air box to block it up, guessing this was an auto choke problem, ordered one and going to fit it tonight.
    Going back to the carb problem and stalling, it still stalls, although it rides perfectly it won't idle. As soon as I slow down to a stop it dies out. (Hot or cold engine)
    I've tried the screw all the way in, all the way out, even put the fuel mixture screw to 1 and 1/4 turns like it says in the Haynes.