Peugeot Zenith. Won't fire up.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Nutrock, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I bought a scooter off of eBay a few months back just to tinker with in the hope of getting it started.
    Anyway, I brought a new battery and also a CDI unit (from a Peugeot Zenith)
    Tried to start it up, nothing, wiggled it about a little and this happens....

(Sorry about the poor camera work, I was recording one handed.and you probably noticed the broken key, it's stuck in the ignition lol)
    The petrol light is also on all the time until I pull the (clutch?) lever in.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
    Thanks.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That sounds like the starter bendix is twisting out of line when it is trying to rotate.
    Have you had the belt case off and inspected everything?
    If all looks ok in there, does it goes off the kickstart?

3. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Haven't had a look on the belt case. The kick start is seized, well, I say it's seized, it will work when it wants to but even then it's just one kick and it locks again.
    Thanks for the help, I'll see what it's like behind the belt case.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

maybe your top end is all seized up, like steve says, whip the belt case off and see whats going on behind there, you should be able to turn the engine with your hand by the outer pulley (unless your super weak!) and you can feel if there is play in your crank bearings too

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

that bendix looks like its been worn down pretty bad.

6. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Right, I found the bendix thingy, took it out, had a look at it, seemed to be ok, I figured if I was starting it by the kick start it wouldn't matter about that (would it?).
    The kick start had come off of the runner so I put it back on, bolted the case back and it's all good. Still not starting but the kick is working now at least.
    So I heard a clicking noise from this little thing, (sorry for the lack of technical terms)
    The wire seems to be rusted and I don't think it's making a good enough connection hence the response from the start button only sometimes. That's my guess anyway. How will I fix this?
    Thanks.

7. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

you need to put a new terminal on there. thats the cable for your start relay. you can test your start motor by touching those 2 red cables together (be careful not to hold them together for too long) the starter motor should turn over when they touch.

9. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Thanks scubabiker. I'll get a new terminal next time I'm out.
    I just saw a vid on YouTube, someone with the same problem, they said it's the piston.

10. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    spose youve checked you've got a good plug and spark?.clean the carb out and flush your tank and fill it up with some clean petrol.make sure all your wiring is in good firm contact plug wise and give it a spin on the kick start or button..if it ain't starting,its gonna be a process of trail and error to find what it could be.one thing at a time and don't assume anything..not sure if you need to hold the brake lever in to start it but some of these peds you do need to!don't worry about seizures etc your piston is going up and down on the kick-start..if it wasn't, your kicker would not be free.if the previous owner has furkled about with it,they may have sodded something up unrelated to its current problem.if you check the carb is getting petrol and the plug is wet, the float is ok...ish..for now to go forward with the next stage of getting it going..even with a spark,its not uncommon for the coil to be naff too.one thing at a time and dont rush it.clean carb,clean petrol,good spark and get back to us ..good luck

11. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Really helpful hairyjim (nice name haha) thanks. I've checked the spark plug against the block and there's a spark. If I remember rightly, there was fuel in the float bowl but I'll have to check again, it's been a while since I've had a look at it. The fuel tank was completely empty when I got it which has probably gummed up inside the carb so yeah I'll get that off and clean it.
    Thanks again for all the help, I didn't realise this forum was so handy ;)

12. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    no probs mate.there's alot of clever b,stards on here.ive learned alot from them and I'm sure your get that ped running if you take their advise and go slowly and logically.a bloody good clean out is the easiest thing to do if its been standing for a while..bit of condensation in The tank dont help too..if your up to it...get the petrol tap out and give if a swill round with some gravel and clear any crap that may be in the tap..change all the pipes too..all the linings can go a bit wooly with age and shite can get in the carb.if you've got a bit of compression it should start but will run like a pregnant pig...dunno how much your into mechanical stuff,but if you do a basic carb set up on the air screw and filter etc that should give you a starting point to go from.check the timing too..if that's off you ain't gonna get it to fire.once your up and running your gonna need to give it a few shake down runs and get it all running as you need ...rollers,springs etc.slowly slowly,catchy monkey.

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i wrote a guide for cleaning carbs, just do a search carb cleaning speedfight.... its under the guides section of this forum. (its a common problem on those peugeot engines)

14. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

I'm pretty technical minded even though I am a girl. I know basic stuff about engines I just always wish it was the easiest thing to fix rather than taking everything apart. I'm now going out to start on cleaning the carb.

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

16. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    another girl.good on yer..get your hands in there and an oil smudge on yer snorkel...wicked..

17. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Scubabiker, thank you. I cleaned the carb last night, there wasn't any petrol in the float bowl :O
    Just some rusty stuff. I'm going to check all pipes today, I have a feeling it's the one with the fuel filter on it. Looks empty but I can't wiggle it enough to see if it is or if there's an air bubble in there. I'm feeling confident with this one. I like a challenge.

18. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    whay hay..sounds like your getting to the root of the trouble...peds that have been standing usually have a bit of rust or gunge develop in the tank.if you've still got the original rubber pipes on it,replace them or give them a good clean through too...a good petrol filter can be a bonus too.dunno if you've ever stripped a carb before but if you take it easy and dont force or bend anything...their pretty simple.reckon your have it running soon...

19. Nutrock

Nutrock Member

Yeah I've took carbs apart before so i'm ok with that. Don't like the early dark nights now, don't have a garage either, just a shed and a light bulb :(

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

im getting about 6 hours of sunlight a day up here at the mo, count yourself lucky!