Peugeot Zenith variator restrictor!

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Wizard2003, May 14, 2017.

1. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Hi I restored my Peugeot Zenith 50cc scooter and thought I'd do the simple deristriction and take out the washer!

Note: I haven't worked on scooters before!

I thought as it only goes 30-31mph I'd get a few extras mphs but when I opened it up there doesn't seem to be an extra washer there. I will try and upload some pics and if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something or if there is anything else I could do. Don't want to mess with the exhaust or jets.

20170514_155728.jpg 20170514_155750.jpg 20170514_155811.jpg 20170514_155827.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You can see that the belt doesn't ride all the way up on the variator.
    Could be that the rollers are a bit on the light side, or you may have a restriction in the mouth of the exhaust as well.
    If you take the exhaust off, see if there is a cone in the opening, if there is it will have a couple of welds holding it in place.
    Grind them off and remove the cone.
    But you may well have to upjet one or two sizes on the main jet afterwards.

3. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Thanks Steve, when you say it doesn't ride all the way up does that mean there isn't a restriction? I'm pretty sure the rollers are the standard that came with the bike, I didn't weigh them so not sure on the weight. Would going a bit more heavier help anyway?

The exhaust restriction has that extra bit coming off so I would need to cut that off and weld the hole closed but unfortunatly don't have a welder :(

Sorry to through all these questions at you but I really do love working on the thing. Think I might buy something else a bit run down and do another restore down the line! :)

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You see where the shiny bit of the variator stops being shiny?
    That's where the belt is stopping. It's not going any further, hence a speed restriction.
    Slightly heavier rollers could push the variator together more, but I suspect that the exhaust is now the culprit.
    The pipe on the exhaust is for exhaust gas recirculation, not really needed, so if you can cut it off and have it welded, all the better.
    I have seen them cut and folded over to blank them off as well.
    But I still think it has a cone in the mouth of the exhuast that needs to come out.
    I'm not sure whether that scooter has a rev limiter built in to the cdi unit..................
    Did you but this as a fully restricted scooter, un-molested?

5. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Oh I see what you mean! I was the second owner of this scooter about 12 years ago when I was in uni but lay out my dads back for about 10 years! So I really can't remember what the deal was then but its never went faster than about 31mph! It only has 4000miles on the clock!

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Might wanna check for dead mice in the exhaust then:D
    Only kidding.....................
    If it's been sitting for that amount of time, then chances are you will need to strip the carb and give it a good going over too.
    Plus the airbox, fuel vacuum, fuel lines, everything basically.
    Brakes especially.
    You'll need to have the clutch halves out and check that it is moving it's full distance smoothly. Any crap build-up on the shaft could also stop it moving the belt any further.

7. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Yeah found a few of them! ;)

I should have said first I've already restored all it. Carb was a mess! All the connections were corroded, had to respay it. I'm using now as my daily ride to work. Just started thinking about getting a bit more speed! :)

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That's that cleared up then, a running but slow scooter.
    Whip the pipe off and check that then for the restrictor cone first, then report back.

9. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

No probs. Might be a few days as I'm away from Wed to the weekend!

Thanks for all your help and advice :)

10. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    looks like that variator just aint getting pushed closer due to travel length of the boss. ie the boss is a short restriction ...... im wondering if adding a 1mm or a couple of 1mm shims onto the boss end would allow for the variator to move even more closer to the fixed pully half and allow for a higher belt running.

11. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Might be worth trying that first. Would I have to buy specific shims for that variator or are they all compatable?

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Adding shims would make the boss longer, not shorter, making the belt run even lower, not higher.

13. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

I've been watching some videos of various peugeot scooter with very similar variators and people arevtaking of the back of the variator (I didn't take a pic of mine so can't show you) and there saying thats the restrictor. So I might try that!

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Be prepared to catch your rollers then

15. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

I've taken screenshots of the vid. You can see he has taken the back of and he puts it back on without it!

Here is the link to the vid. My variator is identical to is!
    Screenshot_20170515-223732.png Screenshot_20170515-223759.png

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Do you not think that the ring with the screws in it is there for a reason?
    At your own risk....................

17. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

That's what i thought Steve! But would putting a couple of washers in the screws give it a bit more travel?

18. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Variator came loose on way to work!!!

Lesson learnt - ALWAYS use threadlock!!!

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah that backplate is the restricter...

20. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Thanks scubabiker will take that off when I get back from my trip! Will post back and let you know how it went! :)