Peugeot Vox 110 (similar to Honda 90) overheating.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by David.shuttleworth, Oct 9, 2017.

1. David.shuttleworth

David.shuttleworth New Member

I don't know if anybody has come across this problem before? I have a peugeot Vox 110cc which is on a 63 plate. I have covered around 21,000 KM on the bike from new. The bike runs fine and starts with no issues. The issue I am having is on a warm day the bike chucks oil out of the near side of the engine from a rubber grommet where the electrical cables exit from. The oil looks emulsified and comes out as a white / creamish colour and runs down the casings (see pic). It only does this on the warmer days. I have done all the usual checks and checked the breather, changed the oil, replaced the oil with a better matching spec oil,but alas it still does it. I have spoke to my local supplying garage and Peugeot Scooters UK but no one can help (fail booking it it and paying a fortune for them to investigate and try things) can anybody please help with this problem as I don't know what to try next. (I though one train of thought was to run an engine flushing oil in case any oilways are partially blocked causing the oil to not circulate fully and therefore overheat) do you think this could help or is it a full engine stripp / rebuild.

Regards David. IMG_20170523_164217.jpg

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I will have a think on this...
    Will get back to you shortly.

David.shuttleworth likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

On the head, on the opposite side to the pic, there is a plate, its an oil cooler of sorts, has 3 bolts, one long which goes through the head and 2 normal ones.
    Take that off and see if there is any blockages.
    Also the oil strainer, you need to take the whole right side casing off to get to it.

4. David.shuttleworth

Thank you when you say Right side do you mean the far side IE opposite from the picture and if so do I need a gasket set or are the sealed by a type of O ring. Do you think the oil flush may have any effect on the filter / oil cooler ?

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah I mean the far side.
    Its a gasket under there, but if you are careful you can reuse it.

6. David.shuttleworth

Thank you ill have a look.

7. David.shuttleworth

Scubabiker,

I have just stripped down my bike and checked both the Oil Cooler (Cly Head) and the filter in the F/S Housing and sadly I didn't find a lot wrong with either. I did find a few bits of crap in the in the oil strainer / filter which I have cleared out but I would only estimate it was under 10% blocked. I have now put it all back together and taken it on a short test run and all looks OK however tommorow will be the test when I take it to work. Whilst in the engine I stripped out the oil pump and couldn't find anything wrong with that either, so if it does start discharging oil again have you any other thoughts please. Thanks again for your help and advice.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The only other thing it could be is blowby from bad rings, but they normally smoke instead.
    Does yours have any sort of pcv valve or is it just a direct vent into the atmosphere?

9. David.shuttleworth

Sorry what is a PCV valve ? the engine vent terminates into the Air Filter housing and it is clear. By the way sadly it has leaked even worse today but as you know the weather is slightly warmer.

Thanks