peugeot v clic starter problem.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Hoggies, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

Hi,
    I could do with a little assistance please.
    My daughter bought a Peugeot v clic 50cc scooter. The bike is a little dream. However there is a problem with the electric start. The bike starts and runs fine on the kick. But the button start just wont go. There is a click and the starter motor does turn. I have removed the spark plug and there is compression when the switch is pressed. So I know the starter motor spline does engage. I have replaced the battery, starter motor, solenoid, ignition barrel and spark plug. However the bike still will not start on the button. I have taken the spark plug out and tried to start the bike to see if there was a spark on the plug. There was no spark. But again it starts on the kick. If I have to strip the bike one more time I am going to set fire to the bloody thing.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Wait, it turns over with the starter or not?

3. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

The starter motor turns, but it does not fire.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm strange. Is it very slow to turn over?

5. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

No, at first it really goes for it, then its slows and does not fire. It then stops all together and I end up with just a click.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Try a higher Ah rated battery.

7. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

It's got a brand new battery.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Same Ah as standard im betting? They are a 4ah if I recall, you can run a 6ah in the same size.

9. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

But why would that make a difference?

10. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

I still do not understand how the bike starts with a kick, but the electric starter does not work. I have replaced with new everything I can think of. I have used a multi-meter to track down any issues. Voltage on the battery is fine. When the bike is running on the kick, it charges the battery fine. When I press the electric starter, it goes through the correct motions, its just there is no spark on the spark plug when using the electric starter. Yet there is a spark when kicked. I am going out of my mind with this. My daughter is getting frustrated as she wants to use the bike, but incapable of kicking it.

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Im thinking the starter is drawing too many amps, so no spark. If you follow what I mean?
    Try with jump leads if you have them.
    Also is there a side stand in these? I dont think there is, but it could be part of the el start system. Its been a while since I worked on one (used to be the head moped mechanic at a bike shop, now I run an independent shop)

12. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

hi yes there is a side stand to this bike. Also I have used a jump lead. Would the CDI unit be faulty?

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I dont think the cdi would be the fault. I would be looking at the side stand switch. Try unplugging it.

14. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

But the bike does start on the kick though. So why would unplugging the sidestand kill switch prevent the electric star from working? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am trying to get this clear in my head.

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its a safety thing, you can't accidentally kick start a bike, but you can accidentally press the starter (apparently)

16. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

mmm might give that a go.. the bike manual states that it needs a 10amp fuse, yet when I looked today there was a blown 20amp fuse. So I went out and got a 20 amp. Also could the regulator be buggered?

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Mmmm if its holding charge at about 14v I would say its ok.
    I think the problem could also be the battery lead either to the start relay, or from the relay to the starter motor.
    But check that side stand switch first. It sounds simple, but its been a problem on 2 of my own bikes. Happens more than you thibk (its so low, it gets road grit and shorts out)

18. Hoggies

Hoggies New Member

Well after a lengthy investigation we located the issue. The owner before us stripped the bike to treat it to a rust prevention treatment. When they out the bike back together. They put the solenoid wires in the wrong way. Sending the voltage through the earth. Therefore blowing everything electronic. We have replaced all electrical components and now the bike is work fine.

scubabiker likes this.