Peugeot V Clic EVP2 electric Start Problem

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Andrewbooth070, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Andrewbooth070

Andrewbooth070 New Member

Hi All,

My electric start works intermittently I can sometimes start the bike with it but most of the time I just get a click when the button is pressed I checked the battery and its showing 12.78v which should be enough to start the engine I commute to work 11 miles each way so the battery should be adequately charged the kick start works fine. I'm guessing either the regulator or the start switch I had a look at the wiring to the switch earlier and everything looks okay so my next port of call would be the regulator any ideas?

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Button on handlebar, relay or starter motor.

3. Andrewbooth070

When I press the button I get a clic k which I thougt t was the relay opening so switch or starter motor?

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sounds more like a worn relay.

the click is the relay opening the juice flow to the starter motor, its very rare for the motor itself to go out on a limb, but the relay and switch tend to be the main culprits , switches can become worn over time from constant use and relays can start to fail due to spark arc destroying the contact surface wearing it down so even when the relay clicks it does not make a full contact and the juice just does not flow.

starter motor test : directly hook starter motor to the scooter battery for a couple second at most if it spins up its fine.

switch test, unplug the switches wire connector and probe the two wire contacts on the switch itself for continuity when its pressed , if that comes up ok the switch is fine.

relay test, bridge the pos and neg on the relay with a screwdriver/spanner and the ignition on the motor should turn over and fire. if the relay click and does nowt its faulting and needs replacing. a more simple thing would be replace relay for new this way you know its not at fault. if problem persists its then down to the motor brushes ( very unlikely ) or more still a faulting starter switch ( common fault on scoots due to it in constant use )

5. Andrewbooth070

Thanks for the advice ordered a new relay today will update when I get it fitted to the bike

6. Andrewbooth070

Well the problem turned put to be the relay and the battery wasn't charging properly so replaced regulator and the relay charged the battery (the battery was new 4 weeks ago) and all fine now so thanks for rmthe help people

7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sweet andrew gald your back on two wheels again

8. Andrewbooth070

Thanks kick start was working fine so didn't really stop me riding I do have a bit of a issue sometimes I get to traffic lights and the bike revs really low at idle and eventually stalls I usually counter this with jiggling the throttle and keep going I'm going to check the valve clearance this weekend and clean the carb and do a full service as well as got service kit through three cross cycles so hopefully should have a good running bike by next Monday can't complain really bike only cost £200 and has saved me hundreds in travelling costs to get to work.

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    let it sit idling over for like 10-15 mins so the auto choke warms up and disengages , you should notice thats when the idle bombs out and it tries to stall out, if thats the case open the engine bay cover under seat to get to the carb and the throttle linkage, on there you should see a little idle screw give it a tiny tweek to bring the rpm up a tad ( do this when bike is warmed up and not when its cold and autochoke is still open )

10. Andrewbooth070

Was going to look at that when I do the service etc thanks for the advice!

11. Andrewbooth070

Well cleaned the carb out the jet was a bit gunned up so cleaned that as well adjusted the throttle as well so bike running fine now service done just in time as the belt was pretty worn as were the rollers.

12. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    keep ontop of it andy the regular checks and top ups ;)

13. Andrewbooth070

Will do thanks been a long time since I had to maintain a scooter this one is four stroke my last bike was a speed fight one back in the 90s two stroke thankfully most of my bike knowledge has come back to me.

14. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye its just the motor oil being checked and then its the usual lights working etc etc, say around every 3000 miles check the gapping on the valves to when you do an oil change

15. Andrewbooth070

Will do thanks mate will be doing a oil change tomorrow checked the valve clearance today and was in tolerance done a full service todayou justhe waiting for the oil as had to order it online thanks for all your help!

16. Andrewbooth070

Sods law got everything working on my way to work on Sunday my belt snapped luckily I was carrying a spare I hadn't replaced the belt at the time i serviced the bike so on a wet afternoon I was at the side of the road fixing the belt happy days......

17. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    that happens to andy, i had my belt let go at 55mph on a dualed A road , lets just say it was more than an arse clenching stop lol

Andrewbooth070 likes this.
  18. Andrewbooth070

Well the bike is running fine apart from my only problem which is the ability to ride uphill at 15 to 25 mph depending in the gradient.

I'm thinking of putting some 4.5g rollers to see if that makes a difference (I live in west Yorkshire plenty of hills) or would a mixture of weights be better (the bike is derestricted as I found out the other day) I get 45 on the flat on stock rollers would anyone know the best combination of rollers for good hill performance?