Peugeot Trekker / Speedfight 50 gearbox oil

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Pan Tofle, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Pan Tofle

Pan Tofle New Member

Hi, I have a 2008 Peugeot Trekker 50ccm and I wanted to change oil in gearbox (I'm third owner and I don't think anybody changed it for 9 years). I've looked to many tutorials on youtube for other scooters so I thought it'll be easy.
    The problem is I can't find the oil drain bolt so I can't remove the old oil. I only found one bolt that says "Oil 1,2 dcl" but that one is pretty high so I guess it's filling hole.
    Only thing i came up to is take it out with tube, but I wanted to take out those little metal pieces that appears in oil.

Does anybody have experience with these engines? (It should be same for trekker, speedfight and vivacity)

2. Dibs74

Dibs74 New Member

Hi , I had same problem with the ludix blaster, I think you have to remove gear box case and let it drain out bit messy though, also need a new gasket , that's how I done it in the end ,

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Look at the transmission cover side and find the small filler cap by the back wheel and underneath on the very bottom edge should be a 13mm bolt. You might need to clean dirt off the bottom edge to see it. I don't know any scooter that's needs the casing to be split to change the gear oil.

4. Dibs74

Dibs74 New Member

Hi , a 13 mm bolt is not hard to miss when you are looking all over the crank case, please send me a pic coz I can't find it either, and all you do is take the case off no splitting at all, please help me to

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Some older models dont have a drain plug. The filler is mounted lower down than the top and you top it up until oil dribbles from the filler. 2008 speedfight should be the same as the trekker which has a drain bolt right underneath the crankcase by the back wheel and possibly hidden by the brake cable. I dont have one to photograph though. It may be that yours doesnt then.

6. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Ludix blaster shouldnt need draining, just top ups through the filler.

7. Pan Tofle

Pan Tofle New Member

Only bolt I found is this http://imgur.com/a/IeMsK

When I removed it few drops came out but that's all.
    In the end I have put it on back wheel and let it drain out. It seems better than removing gearbox for me.

8. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

That's your filler, looks like one of the scooters with no drain plug. Place on level ground and refill with gear oil, not engine oil, until it dribbles from the hole then refit the cap. The oil level is the bottom of the bolt thread.

9. Pan Tofle

Pan Tofle New Member

Yes, I already done that. Why would anybody make a scooter without drain bolt? To save 0,01$ for bolt?

EDIT: So Today came my Haynes manual. It says that in 2002 they stopped using drain bolt and oil should last for whole engine life. You only should change it when something broke.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017