Peugeot Speedfight 2 problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by John Morgan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. John Morgan

John Morgan New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    Hello, I own a 2005 Peugeot Speedfight 2 50cc. I changed out the engine for an Elyseo 100cc one changing the oil pump for the automatic one from the 50, I also fitted the 50's stator into the 100 as the coils were damaged on the 100s stator. The engine has been rebuilt and run in properly. However ever since I fitted the 100cc engine it has always struggled to start. To make it start I would usually have to cover the air intake with a cloth and then remove it once it is going. Recently it has been even worse to start and when I checked the spark it seemed to be inconsistent. Then when i was out on it the other day it would not start after going to into town leaving me stranded there. When I checked the spark after this there was no spark. Also when going along the road it has cut power then regained it immediately, or cutting it until the bike is going very slow then it picks up again, other times it cuts out completely.

Any ideas on what could cause these problems would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks, John.

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Faulty coil or the connections to it, maybe?

kierran likes this.
  3. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    + 1 for Merlin - Try another coil - or another spark plug - or both.

4. John Morgan

John Morgan New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    Thanks for the replies, When you say coil do you mean the ignition coil or a coil on the stator? I have tried a couple new spark plugs including an iridium one and they made no difference.

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yup, try a new ignition coil.

Stupid question time; which CDI unit is fitted to the bike, the Elyseo one or the Speedfight one?

6. John Morgan

John Morgan New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    Okay thank you. I have tried another coil in and it was just the same. I also checked the resistances of the source coil and pulse generator coil via the connector underneath the bike, the resistances were within the specified limits so no luck there. The CDI is a "New Racing CDI" that was in it when I bought the bike, It is non-immobilized.

7. John Morgan

John Morgan New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    I thought it could be the stator, however the coils are reading the correct resistances and I don't want to buy a new one to find out that is not the problem as I have spent far too much money on the bike already... The CDI is some sort of aftermarket thing and it was from the 50cc Speedfight. It has a 5 pin connector and when I looked it up on eBay it seems to be a universal type item and is fairly cheap. When the 50cc engine was in it ran fine with that CDI.

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The Elyseo engine seems to be the same or similar to the Speedfight 100. I have the Peugeot OEM workshop manual for the FB3-6 engine if you need it - private message me with your e-mail address if you don't have it and I can e-mail it to you - it's 3.5Mb as a PDF.

The fault definitely sounds like an electrical one to me. have you got a timing light to put on the spark plug lead, to check the timing advance and the spark?

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The 50cc engine is set at 13 degrees before TDC, but the 100cc engine is set at 17 degrees before TDC. Could the ignition timing be over-advanced? it's worth checking what you set the CDI sensor coil advance to, after you changed the stator. That's why I suggested a timing light, to check the ignition advance.

10. John Morgan

John Morgan New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    No I don't have that manual, okay that is great, will do thanks. Yeah I took the HT lead out with the coil and it is in good condition. Hmm I'm not sure, If the timing is out then wouldn't it run poorly all the time? As apart from it occasionally losing power it runs great and it only seems to cut out if I have spent ages trying to start it... I'll try and get a hold of a timing light this week if I still cant get it started, just bought a new starter motor as the old one wasn't sounding very healthy!... Also there was a lot of two stroke around the inlet so I took that off and replaced the gasket again with a bit of silicone as well, whilst it was off I gave the carb a strip and clean (again) with a cleaner and compressed air, probably wont help any but I'm just trying everything! :(

11. John Morgan

John Morgan New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot Speedfight 2
    Right I have managed to solve the starting problems! I took off the barrel once more and it had a large scour down it, enough to lose some compression, so I bought another piston/barrel set. I also replaced the starter motor as it was sounding unhealthy. This did not make much difference as it still wouldn't start. So I went ahead and ordered another CDI unit and checked over all the wires for the ignition coil, stator and ones for the cdi again making sure they had the correct values. Tried to start it without the cloth over the intake and it started first time very easily :) Hopefully I'll get a couple of miles out of it before something else goes wrong as it is a speedfight!...
    Many thanks for the replies.