Peugeot speedfight 2 50cc ac noise

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Paul1978, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

Hi I bought the above scooter for using to commute to work instead of car it's a 2001 it's deristricted it has developed a noise when riding it doesnt start till it gets to about 35mph it sounds like a turbo spoiling up lol
    And when you back off the throttle its there for a bit then goes
    It sounds from the cvt area to me. Ive changed the belt/rollers and a bearing in the gear casing as felt rough and added fresh gear oil
    But its still there i did noticed the clutch shoes to be worn uneven like a slight wedge shape
    And the clutch bell looks blue in places. But have not changed these yet could these cause this type of noise
    I just can not pin it down any help would be great

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

From what you describe i would say crank bearings myself.

Paul1978 likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd go with scuba on this.
    Crank bearings are easily checked.
    Whip the flywheel and stator off the one side and the vario off the other, see if there is any side to side or up and down movement on the crank.
    There should be zero movement in any direction.
    If that checks out, then for what they cost change all the bearings in the gearbox.
    There is also a needle bearing in the back of the clutch halves.
    I've never changed this particular bearing as it's easier to just change the whole thing for a better one.
    Change the clutch slippers if they are proper wedge shaped.
    The bell being blue in places isn't disastrous, but check it for trueness and any minute cracks.

But now I'm thinking about it, get the engine warm properly, put it on the stand and rev it and hold it there and see if the whizzing sound appears.
    If it does, remove the belt cover and belt and do it again.
    This will isolate the engine from the gearbox.
    If the sound is there then it's engine based, if not it's gearbox based.

If the sound does not appear in any of these tests, then have a look at the wheel bearings.
    Normally they start to whine above 30mph, getting higher in pitch and more prominent as you go faster, and the sound disappears under that speed.

Paul1978 likes this.
  4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if it were bearings it would be when the engine reaches max rpm, this noise is drivetrain, anything from the clutch bearings (remove clutch and pulley unit, one ether side) or more probably the output shaft bearing/wheel bearing, could also be ether front or rear imput shaft support bearing. be AWARE that this MAY be WHEEL BEARING, dont ignore it, strip it all and find the problem, but full strip and check the wheel bearing :) again, the fact the noise doesnt develop untill 35 prettymuch rules out mains tho, unless the rollers are so worn the engine doesnt peak out untill then, wich i doubt.

any more info on stripping the gearbox just ask, its fairly simple tho, pull bolts out, nock shaft about a b it, catch oil, remember where it all went, check bearings, silicone on cover, rebuild, refill.. :)

Paul1978 likes this.
  5. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

Sorry I've just seen all your messages I didn't get any email notifications sorry people

Well here is an update since I posted
    Well it's being a nightmare the bearing I fitted (6201) which went at the back of the output shaft on way home it broke up. I believe this might have been because it wasn't a 6201 c3 which is a high speed bearing for gearboxes

So I got all 3 bearings this time 6201/6202/6203 which was fag bearings and c3

I checked all the gears no teeth missing all looked fine I also got a whole new clutch assembly

Did all the bearings at work with press apart from the bike one which I did at home
    I assembled gearbox again the wheel felt smooth when rotated but felt stiff like the brake was binding. So took casing off again checked all was free and bearings ok and casing went on ok no tightness
    So just assumed it was due to new bearings
    Assembled it all added gear oil
    And when for road test the bike felt very smooth but didnt feel loose so turned round went back as it didn't feel right checked the gearbox and the new gear oil was grey with iron fillings I did this another 2 times and by the end the bearings was all still intact but the rear wheel felt rough again and the noise was still there

Well I have run it for another 2 days and it still whines and rear wheel feels rough when spun more so when gear oil hot
    I'm in at work tomorrow to change the bearings again and see what I might of missed

What's really Annoying is I've beening a car technician for a long time now and I can not get this 50cc scooter fixed lol and it's getting embarrassing

I forgot to say I've rechecked the whine noise and it happens at the same speed but will do it at full speed too until I back off the throttle

I'm going to try it with no belt on tomorrow but it never sounds as noisey on the stand it seems louder when riding with load

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

C3 bearings are designed to tighten up as they get hot. Not something I would use in a gearbox myself, just open type bearings normally because they are running in oil.
    It's a bit of a mystery why a new bearing would collapse so quickly, unless there is a massive amount of play somewhere on the output shaft, or maybe a shim missing, making it tight when the box is all bolted up again?

scubabiker likes this.
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

My money is on a bent shaft..

8. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

These was the original bearings that was in it didnt realise until i removed them and read the side of them
    i was told By a bearing company they are specially for gearboxes so i ordered them
    Well i fitted them today for the second time one thing i did notice when i did it this time is that i had
    3 washers on the gear in the middle not 2 as there was supposed
    To be thats all i could see any difference. When i got all new bearings fitted and
    Gearbox housing on the bolts tight the rear wheel on torqued to 120nm the shaft
    For the clutch felt nice and smooth when rotated
    The rear wheel when rotated felt slightly rough but i didnt have no oil in at the time

Well after all that the noise is still there at the same speed. I did check the rear wheel bearing when doing the gearbox by rotating with my finger but could not feel any roughness but of course had no load on it

So still none the wiser and all gearbox shafts looked true when spun

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

That noise does sound like crank to me, ive done enough of them to know..

10. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

I wasn't disputing that it wasn't that I just needed to get the gearbox sorted
    And I forgot to test it with the belt off after
    Like I said before it's worse underload when riding than when on stand in fact I struggle to hear it over the engine and exhaust
    But on the deck it screeches 25mph upwards

11. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

The only other thing that stopped me form fitting bearings apart from time is that all the vids I have
    Seen are always the crank knocking at idle when they are worn an not a screeching/whirring/whining noise
    But if you are sure that's the noises they make as well then I guess I'll have to do them as well

12. jim231187

jim231187 Member

This might help you out as I had to change a set of crank bearings on a peugeot 50 the way I spotted the bearings had failed was to kick the bike over a good few times with ignition off so it didnt start and listen for a rough dry bearing sound as the engine is turning over, then the engine wont be doing enough rpm's to engage the transmission.

Paul1978 likes this.
  13. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

Thanks I'll have ago tomorrow I ride it to work so will try it at dinner
    Is this check with cvt cover of or on

14. jim231187

jim231187 Member

Cover on as youll be kicking it over with the kickstart;)

15. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

Checked it but no noise heard from crank with just kick start
    I tried it again with electric start but cover off but nothing heard from engine through the rev range with belt off
    I have manage to fined a YouTube vid with the same noise as mine but mine only does it a speed not idle.

Unless this is a normal noise (whining) for a cvt and I'm chasing something that's not there. Link below

16. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Well just to check it says the whine is comng from the holes so why not just tape over them as an experiment?

17. fattaffracingco

fattaffracingco New Member

dunno if I'm missing something here but the belt whine seems normal to me, my zip and vision both did it, have u tried belt dressing spray to try and eliminate belt noise from bearing noise, is it deffo bearing ???

18. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

No matey your not missing anything that whine noise is what I get at 30mph up. This is the first scooter I've had. I've always had a car but I decided to get one on my car licence as wife uses car
    Like I said I might be chasing something that's not there as it's normal for cvt

19. Paul1978

Paul1978 Member

No not tried belt dressing the belt is new it's a Kevlar one off ped parts

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Grab a solid clutch bell, stick that on and see what it sounds like?
    I'm also wondering if the torsion spring is a tad too strong on that vid maybe?